Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
Only 180 condo units in ALL of downtown San Antonio with 400+ under construction.

San Antonio condos: Behind the trend (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/MYSA120107_01G_Condos_18d710a_html.html - broken link)

Downtown only has a population of 3439 people- by far the least of all the major Texas cities.

Downtown San Antonio, Texas

I wonder why the link you provided (downtown San Antonio)other cities don't have profiles and population figures for their downtowns. Looks compromised to me, very strange. Also under San Antonio neighborhoods it has Austins mixed in.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-28-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
1. San Antonio
2. Fort Worth
3. Austin
4. Houston
5. Dallas

When the TRV (http://www.trinityrivervision.org/Projects/CCTU.aspx - broken link) is complete, Fort Worth and San Antonio will switch in my book.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
The Urban Land Institute has named Sundance Square as one of the top 10 outstanding developments in the North America. The 38-block mixed-use district in Fort Worth was recognized for its pedestrian-friendly design and its initiative to prevent urban flight.

Read more: Urban Land Institute honors Sundance Square - Dallas Business Journal:

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM

342 posts, read 685,412 times
I guess it depends on your life style, because i like Houston downtown better, the state of texas should be proud. We have so much to offer, different variety, people are flocking down here and seeing we arent a bunch of redneck cowboys. Since the last president tarnished the image of Texans, were still repairing it lol

Old 05-05-2010, 12:34 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Downtown should be the the heart and soul of the city, a nucleus, a core. All Texas cities have a reputation to be auto dependent and sprawly. Out of the big 5 (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Ft. Worth) which city do you think has the best downtown. Many cities are reversing the trend of sprawl and actually putting life back into their downtowns building high rise condo towers. Which downtown is the most pedestrian friendly, has sidewalk culture, retail and cafes.
I live in the suburban areas of Houston, I go to downtown often, and it's not that great as far as vibrancy goes, same can be said about Dallas. But I do know that Houston has A TON of projects in the works to counter that. I don't know about Dallas though. Houston's got more shopping places coming in, grocery stores, restaurants, bars, clubs, and definitely more places to live coming in downtown in the next few years.

I go to college in Austin, and my roommates and I decided to stay off campus in downtown Austin. It's pretty vibrant, a lot of attractions, so many things to do in certain areas.
Plus downtown Austin is still going through some massive changes, more expansions are to come.

But I would have to say Fort Worth or San Antonio have the most vibrant and fun downtowns in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Definately Fort Worth. Austin and San Antonio would be next in line. Downtown Houston and downtown Dallas suck.

^ Definitely agree with what he said, San Antonio is just maybe a centimeter away from Fort Worth for downtown vibrancy.

Haha, El Paso's downtown, now that city is an example of a dead downtown after office hours are over!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
I guess I have to be the first to say...Weather yall wanna admitt it or not....DTDallas is Busier than DT Houston..Im sorry but its true...More people walking around more of a night life..dallas dont shut downat 6 pm anymore...of course people will call me a liar but i see it everyday and everynight.Houston can brag on being the tallaest and have the most buildings over a certin height and crap, but on street level.....Dallas is ahead.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Dallas may be ahead of Houston, but Fort Worth and San Antonio are ahead of Dallas.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Dallas may be ahead of Houston, but Fort Worth and San Antonio are ahead of Dallas.
Yeah ft.worth has a nice downtown for the size of it...Our west end is more comparabl to DT FT.Worth....Its not even comparable to the entire DTD....Get over it!...name something that we cant do TWICE as much of in DTD that is done In DT Ft.Worth....I dont think un can name anything.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM

DTDallas has just as much foot traffic as Ft.Worth(or maybe more)....

Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Ok, seriously, enough with the blind "homering".

I've lived in the DFW area 99% of my life. I've been in both DTFW and DTD.

You're pumping Downtown Dallas up to more than what it is and thinking about the past. I mean,

- Downtown Dallas doesn't have the same welcoming feeling Downtown Fort Worth has.
- The West End has DECLINED in recent years and the area even had to shut down its main shopping center.
- DTD seems like it was built more for office workers than visitors.
- One of (if not THE) most visited sites in downtown is the place where a president got his brains blown out and now, where Erykah stripped during her music video (no offense, but really.... THAT'S you're biggest attraction there?)
- You have empty skyscrapers.
- And really, you have to go outside of the actual downtown vicinity to really get some action (Uptown, Victory Plaza)

I'll admit that Dallas has a great Arts District, a few clubs, and great skyscrapers, but other than that, it doesn't do much for me.
You're making it seem like Downtown Dallas is that much better than Downtown Fort Worth. A tornado ran through Downtown Fort Worth and it bounced back. Even the most devistated tower was saved and turned into one of the best residential buildings in Texas. How many cities can say that?

If Dallas really does have that much more foot traffic (on a daily basis, and not just due to special events), then chances are it's office related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas