U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,248,349 times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM

18,516 posts, read 14,721,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Lmaooooooooo...not to mention 2 of the trees in the center of the pic doesn't have enough squirrels. You know them Houston squirrels aint got ish on Atlanta Squirrels. There so much more beautiful when they blend in with the green magical delicious Atlanta trees.

But for the record the areas where Houston gets the most negative comments.. Which happens to be 45 N /59 N Houston City Limits...the freeways happen to run right thru the hoods of the North(NAWF)side of the city. Since some ppl on here agree that the lower income areas in any city happen to be the usual ugly parts of a City. and btw while I wish ghettos could look better I actually love the look of hoods in different cities,maybe because I grew up in area that would be considered "hood" or "ghetto".
ha ha.

yeah, there is no describing any city from the highways. Houston is so big you need a good three weeks hitting it everyday to get a proper feel of the city. It took me about 6 months without a guide, but I think it can be done in 3 weeks if someone guides you.

i don't want to make Al feel bad, but I am sure he doesn't have a feel for midtown or the uptown area (the only two areas I have heard him comment on. Midtown and uptown catchment areas cover land twice as big as downtown so when someone visits they undoubtedly cover a minuscule area of those parts, so when they make a comment and generalize the area it seems really odd to some who know it a lot better.

The midtown area swallowed most of 3rd ward a huge chunk of 4th ward. It runs from the Pierce Elevated all the way down to the Binz area. It includes little Saigon, some nice parks, and the HCC central campus. The variety of stuff in the area is too wide to make any limiting generalizations such as those on trees.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM

2,498 posts, read 1,990,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 View Post
Dallas is in no way segregated And it has the nation's largest arts district
have you even been to Dallas? Dallas is pretty segregated. Most of the black folks in Dallas live on the other sitde of the Trinity River Southeast of Downtown (South Dallas). Once you reach downtown and the northern burbs, it's caucasion central. The asian districts are in the northeastern suburbs from what i hear. I haven't seen that many asians in Dallas in my visits. Also the fact that it has the largest arts district means nothing. Sure they built it all at once and coined it all as one term, but it hasn't really established itself yet.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 AM

8,754 posts, read 7,823,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 View Post
Dallas is in no way segregated And it has the nation's largest arts district
LOL. Dallas is pretty segregated. All one has to do is drive up I-35E from South Dallas to North Dallas. It's like a night and day difference. South Dallas is segregated and cut off from the rest of the city. As far as the nation's largest Arts District...that's true, but when you go deeper, it should be no surprise why. For one, Dallas combines it's theaters and musuems into one place (Houston, for example, has two separate areas of each and if they were combined, they would be much larger than Dallas' Arts District). Second, most cities don't have Arts Districts like Dallas. A lot of city's arts district are places where many artists migrated to over time. They include a few museums (large and small), but not what you see in Dallas. Dallas' district is not organic, but instead seems "forced" and new. Give it about 15+ years and maybe it'll feel organic.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,248,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
i don't want to make Al feel bad, but I am sure he doesn't have a feel for midtown or the uptown area (the only two areas I have heard him comment on. Midtown and uptown catchment areas cover land twice as big as downtown so when someone visits they undoubtedly cover a minuscule area of those parts, so when they make a comment and generalize the area it seems really odd to some who know it a lot better.
there isn't a thing i have said about midtown or uptown that would suggest i don't know them well. there is nothing i have said that isn't true. there are tons of those little oak trees in midtown. period.

and yes i do know uptown fairly well, but all i was commenting on before is the views you get from the west loop freeway

what is your problem? it's like, just because i don't feel the same way about these areas as you do, i don't know them well? you really mean to tell me that you are just that childish that you want everybody to agree with you? how old are you?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
have you even been to Dallas? Dallas is pretty segregated. Most of the black folks in Dallas live on the other sitde of the Trinity River Southeast of Downtown (South Dallas). Once you reach downtown and the northern burbs, it's caucasion central. The asian districts are in the northeastern suburbs from what i hear. I haven't seen that many asians in Dallas in my visits. Also the fact that it has the largest arts district means nothing. Sure they built it all at once and coined it all as one term, but it hasn't really established itself yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
LOL. Dallas is pretty segregated. All one has to do is drive up I-35E from South Dallas to North Dallas. It's like a night and day difference. South Dallas is segregated and cut off from the rest of the city. As far as the nation's largest Arts District...that's true, but when you go deeper, it should be no surprise why. For one, Dallas combines it's theaters and musuems into one place (Houston, for example, has two separate areas of each and if they were combined, they would be much larger than Dallas' Arts District). Second, most cities don't have Arts Districts like Dallas. A lot of city's arts district are places where many artists migrated to over time. They include a few museums (large and small), but not what you see in Dallas. Dallas' district is not organic, but instead seems "forced" and new. Give it about 15+ years and maybe it'll feel organic.
yeah I tend to agree with you guys, from what I saw Dallas seemed very segregated to me compared to Houston. Even my dad who used to work there and don't observe much commented about it.

as for the arts district, Dallas's entire arts district is 19 blocks.

Houston's theater district alone is 17 blocks. Which is second only to NY btw. Combine the museum areas in Midtown and the Museum District and you are over to 50 blocks. For Dallas to compare you have to scramble and start adding art areas in other cities to try to match Houston. But it still falls short

Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
there isn't a thing i have said about midtown or uptown that would suggest i don't know them well. there is nothing i have said that isn't true. there are tons of those little oak trees in midtown. period.

and yes i do know uptown fairly well, but all i was commenting on before is the views you get from the west loop freeway

what is your problem? it's like, just because i don't feel the same way about these areas as you do, i don't know them well? you really mean to tell me that you are just that childish that you want everybody to agree with you? how old are you?
I don't want anyone to agree with me, I just correct you lies. you are the childish one who knows nothing about anything and when you are called out on it resort to name calling. how grown up is that?? you don't know uptown if you generalize it by a store and you don't know midtown if you generalize it by a tree

Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,132,568 times
The DFW metroplex just more up there.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,409,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
This is one's opinion..and I love the beauty of Atlanta but I wouldn't put it over Houston. Or say it's more asthetically pleasing And I'm not from Houston btw. I just choose to live here because I do love Houston.

and Waco underrated for it's beauty...ahhhhhhh I beg to differ. I use to live in Waco while I was going to school up there. It had some beautiful parts but nothing that compares to Houston. I couldnt wait to get out of Waco I felt like the beauty was overshadowed by the bland uglieness of most of the city. You had to venture outside of I-35 to see the pockets of beauty.
I disagree, but to each its own. I think you guys are really hyping up the beauty of Houston. "The view from the freeways is a site to behold"??

I think Waco is more attractive, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM

8,754 posts, read 7,823,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The DFW metroplex just more up there.
More as in what? I've lived in Houston most of my life, but now live in DFW and I don't notice a difference in what is in either metro area. The biggest differences is that the cultural offerings you find in Inner Loop Houston are instead spread out through the entire metro area in DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I disagree, but to each its own. I think you guys are really hyping up the beauty of Houston. "The view from the freeways is a site to behold"??

I think Waco is more attractive, but you're entitled to your opinion.
You don't think the view of Houston's skylines from the different freeways and freeway interchanges are a site to behold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas