Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,287 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on the boards reading so many different perspectives on where to live or avoid in Texas.

We've been to Texas twice, once driving thru in 1999 and once visiting my bro-in-law who is stationed at Ft Hood and still there. We were there 3 days, back in 2002.

And in our humble opinion, we thought it was a hidden GEM! We loved Texas, the weather, everything about it, but we don't live there so it could be a different thing.

I'm sure we will go thru culture shock b/c we've been in Germany over 6yrs and it's VERY VERY safe here. My daughter was born here, and my son left the states when he just turned 2. We have been spoiled, not having to lock doors, never been robbed, guns are BANNED in the country - only certain people (like the police and military folks) are allowed to carry them...even most KNIVES are banned here. it's just very different mindset of the people here in Germany.

Now we are moving back to 'reality' - back on American soil and I will admit I am a bit nervous. The closer it's time for us to go the more I am panicking. We have been more than ready to 'come home' but now it's here and it's nerve wrecking. We have to get re-Americanized.

I keep hearing that even Copperas Cove is not a great place to live and also Killeen, to stay in Harker Heights. I'm also hearing stay more south of Ft Hood, can anyone share those places?

Can anyone give their experience living in HH? We are actually going to be staying in corporate housing (hopefully in HH) until we purchase our home.

How about jobs? Do home businesses prosper? I work from home...but during transition I may have to pick up a job for a bit...can anyone shed light on that?

Any and all experiences are appreciated.

Oh we have 3 children, ages 5, 8 and my stepson is 14, hubby has been in the military for 15yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Can anyone help?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,203,293 times
Is it the case that your destination is the Fort Hood area? The county is Bell, the county seat is Belton. You can look up on Google Maps and search zip code 76543... yes. You'll see US 190 higway from Belton headed west beyond Copperas Cove. This is the Ft Hood > hood. There's lots of Army in Temple as well.

I've driven thru HH a few times, it appears that south of hiway 190 is more suburban than the north side where the biz 190 is lined with bars and car repair shops. Also look north of Lake Belton at Morgan's Point and Gatesville. South of Killeen is Stillhouse Hollow Lake with residential development. Also consider Temple.

Register with Work In Texas - Texas Workforce Commission. Create a profile and submit for job match results. Once there you can browse for jobs in HH or Killeen or Timbucktu - or Georgetown, see TexasHorseLady post, following next. Sallie Mae (college financing) has an office in Killeen and currently needs >seasonal< reps to sign up accounts for college tuition. And the Census Bureau is hiring all over the place. And if you're military there's opportunities at Ft Hood. Sometimes you can hear the war games from the high school football stadium. Check Craigslist. Be careful, there's lots of fraud going on there. I would say if a company doesn't have a street address or contact number then IGNORE.

Don't worry about safety... well, don't fret yourself needlessly. The U.S. really is a fairly safe place, just don't go looking for trouble.

Last edited by WillysB; 03-10-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quite a few families of people who are stationed at Fort Hood live in Georgetown, which is a nice little community north of Austin, southeast of Killeen, on I35. You might want to check it out.

What kind of work do you do from home?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks so much Willy!

We will be stationed at Ft. Hood, but if we don't have to settle in Killeen, we are definitely open to other options.

Thank you so much for all the information, I'll definitely check it out... the Fort Hood > hood, too funny.

We have less than a month before we get there - kinda sprung on us really, so we don't have a lot of time to prepare.

TexasHorseLady, thank you as well, I'm doing my research now.

I so appreciate, it guys, we just need like a place to start, and just anxious, excited, nervous about getting back. lol

THL,
My business is in health/wellness/vanity industry for primarily women.

Oh there was another question...does the county you live in determine what school your child attends or is it open to where we want our kids to go?

Has anyone been to the gym on the base? If so, do they offer classes for free?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,900,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFord View Post
Thanks so much Willy!

We will be stationed at Ft. Hood, but if we don't have to settle in Killeen, we are definitely open to other options.
I've always liked Temple. It's off the beaten path and very accessible to Ft. Hood. Has the Scott/White medical complex there.
Quote:
Scott & White is ranked as one of the top 100 hospitals and one of the top 15 teaching hospitals in the United States by Thomson Reuters. Scott & White's has 31 accredited residency and fellowship programs, including programs in emergency medicine and radiology.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,203,293 times
Quote:
My business is in health/wellness/vanity industry for primarily women.
This might be a prime business for a shop in Salado, a little town that almost blew away and is now is an artsy/craftsy place lots of women visit, with husbands in tow. About a 20-30 minute drive to Fort Hood.

Yes jaxart, Temple is a pretty cool place. There are some neighborhoods on the south end of town that if you didn't know they were there, well... you just would never know. I used to live looking over Bird Creek, a sweet little babbling brook that turns into a torrent in a good rain. And the birds are just amazing. I've seen lots of Army uniforms around the south end, especially the WalMart. Yes, I also like WalMart.

I had a mother in law back in the sixties in dire need of hip replacement. S&W was able to point her in a direction to get that taken care of. Was not a common procedure back then.

Last edited by WillysB; 03-11-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: