Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 60,726 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what's the best Army town/city? Want to retire in 3 years and can't decide on where to hang my hat (beret). I have a couple of options: Fort Lewis, Wa; Fort Hood, Tx; GA or VA. Do you anything about the job markets? in particular government jobs on post. Also, what about the jobs off post for spouses? my wife is a hairstylist (specializes in african american hair mostly) and we're thinking of opening up a shop. Any information you have would be very much appriciated. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,947,688 times
I noticed you left Fort Bliss off your list. Fort Bliss is growing so fast and will be the post to be at come 2013. Fort Hood has a better choice in outdoor activities and African American population I would think is larger there than El Paso. Fort Hood is also closer to several big Texas Cities so you can make weekend trips out to the various areas and check them out. Fort Lewis WA, is a great post.. I would love to be up there as well. Kinda Gloomy and wet though, but they are green and can be real cold in winter.. Fort Lewis is a nice post.. Fort Stewart is also a nice Post, right there next to Savannah GA. Lots of history, and the African America population is rather good in the area for your wife's hair salon. 3000 new jobs will be created on Fort Bliss by 2013, and EL PASO TEXAS is a pretty easy place to start up a business. A few years back and I would of told you to avoid Fort Bliss like the plague. There was the Army way and then the Fort Bliss way.. but that is changing fast as the post has grown and the eyes of the pentagon on us here.

What are you looking for in your new assignment? What is your MOS? give some info, and I will be glad to help provide info.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
Why not retire in the best of all, San Antonio (TX)? You have Fort Sam Houston as well as two Air Force bases (Lackland and Randolph). San Antonio appreciates its military and there are lots of jobs, a good economy, affordable housing, very cheap electricity, Fiesta Texas and Sea World, and other nearby attractions. Also, you're 150 miles from Mexico and the beach. You also have other smaller towns/cities nearby, including the beautiful Texas Hill Country.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,091 times
2nd the motion San Antonio is military city usa

Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 AM

13 posts, read 60,726 times
Steel Man,
what other small towns would you consider? i'm liking the thought of san antonio, but not too familiar with the area. i was there once, back in 1990 for AIT for combat medic training. i like the fact that the cost of living is better than most places, but is there really good job growth? what about retire military? what are the chances of getting a "GOOD" job? my MOS is 42A (human resources). thanks for your help.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justde87 View Post
Steel Man,
what other small towns would you consider? i'm liking the thought of san antonio, but not too familiar with the area. i was there once, back in 1990 for AIT for combat medic training. i like the fact that the cost of living is better than most places, but is there really good job growth? what about retire military? what are the chances of getting a "GOOD" job? my MOS is 42A (human resources). thanks for your help.
Surrounding smaller cities/towns are: Boerne, Bulverde, New Braunfels (these three are more expensive as they're in/near the Hill Country). If you want to buy some land, then Bandera, Pipe Creek, Medina Lake, and Canyon Lake to name a few. Others are Castroville, Devine, Lytle, and Pleasanton (these are a little more laid back and cheaper) to name a few. Look on Google Maps to see more. There are lots of military retiring here (I'm one - 1998), and generally, if you want to be a HR Manager, you'll need a degree. Check Monster.com or MySA.com for job openings to get an idea of what is out there. You might also look at Accenture and USAA.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
FT HOOD...but then again, i am biased. i live here and work on post. love it.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,774,213 times
Me too.........
Quote "Why not retire in the best of all, San Antonio (TX)? You have Fort Sam Houston as well as two Air Force bases (Lackland and Randolph). San Antonio appreciates its military and there are lots of jobs, a good economy, affordable housing, very cheap electricity, Fiesta Texas and Sea World, and other nearby attractions. Also, you're 150 miles from Mexico and the beach. You also have other smaller towns/cities nearby, including the beautiful Texas Hill Country."

Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Me too.........
Quote "Why not retire in the best of all, San Antonio (TX)? You have Fort Sam Houston as well as two Air Force bases (Lackland and Randolph). San Antonio appreciates its military and there are lots of jobs, a good economy, affordable housing, very cheap electricity, Fiesta Texas and Sea World, and other nearby attractions. Also, you're 150 miles from Mexico and the beach. You also have other smaller towns/cities nearby, including the beautiful Texas Hill Country."
Interesting shh1313. You live near Fort Hood, yet endorse San Antonio. Care to expand?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,774,213 times
I hate Copperas Cove.... I like being nearer to the Hill Country. CC not enough shopping. I also think the VA care is better in San Antonio.

The weather is also a tad bit warmer in the winter ! Also I own property in Canyon Lake area, so I will be moving soon I pray !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas