Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,098 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Amarillo this summer, can anyone give me any information that might help us find a nice apartment (with a pool) or house for rent in Amarillo or the surrounding areas? We are 39 & 46 with no children, (at least not until the summers and then it will be older teenagers) at home. We would prefer something within a 30 minute drive or less to the Amarillo Airport. If you could give us ANY information about Amarillo (things to do, lakes, rivers, weather info, night life) it would be such a help. ANY and ALL information would be SO appreciated. Thank you bunches!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,216,982 times
LOL!! Quick and easy answer.....no lakes, no rivers, no nightlife. And there's nowhere you'd want to live anywhere near the airport......it's east of town, and you definitely do not want to live in the east or north part of town. The more desirable areas are west and southwest (safety, housing, shopping, dining, medical facilities, etc) but Loop 335 goes around town and makes it easy to get from that area to the airport (or anywhere else you want to go) and I-40 goes all the way across town which also makes it easy.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,083 times
Come on, Gayle. There is some nightlife in certain gentrified areas of downtown and on 6th St, if that's your game. Maybe more for the younger crowd, but still. There are things to do. It isn't cowtown central.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,968 times
Hi Jennifer,
Ive lived and worked in Amarillo for 20+ years. Im not really into camping or outdoor sports, but Palo Duro Canyon, just east of Canyon, is beautiful and many people like to camp and hike there. There is also Lake Meridith where there is a lot of boating, jet skiing, etc, but Ive never been there. Amarillo has a symphony and a ballet, and we do get the occasional concert and traveling Broadway shows through here too. We have a fabulous community college (I teach there so Im kind of prejudice), and a 4-yr university 10 miles to the south in the city of Canyon. I don't know where you are relocating from but one thing I can tell you, you can do almost anything if you are willing to drive a ways. In about 4-1/2 hours, you can be in Albuquerque or Oklahoma City, where there is quite a lot to do. You can also drive about 6 hours and be in Colorado or northern New Mexico for snow skiing. Most new people live in the western or southwestern areas of town. There are several new complexes in these areas that are very nice. I own my home, but from what I've heard, rents are fairly high if you want a place with lots of amenities. What amazes me is that you can pretty much drive all of the way across town in about 15 minutes....20 if you hit a lot of red lights. The weather? Hmm.... the joke is if you wait long enough it will change, but actually its pretty true. We do have some cold winters, and a few days here and there with a few inches of snow each year, but the best part is that we have the most beautiful skies and we do get some sunny, but cold days, and very little rain in the winter. The Summer is pretty warm, but generally in the 90s and low 100s. Amarillo is not really a cowtown... but like anywhere else, its what you make of it. Ive lived in LA, San Diego, Orlando, Seattle, Honolulu, and several other large cities, but I love Amarillo and that's why Ive stayed.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM

462 posts, read 1,005,542 times
Amarillo is a nice city - great shopping; nice people. I think you'll enjoy it. I live about 80 miles from Amarillo and I've been there many times. It certainly has a whole lot more than my little town has. Lubbock - also a great shopping town with friendly people is about 100 miles south of Amarillo --- so lots of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas