Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,087,713 times

Advertisements

I love Fort Davis (I know you already know that, Cathy4017!)...but property values have shot up there recently. Too many people found out about it, probably. That's where I'd live in TX if I had my druthers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I love Fort Davis (I know you already know that, Cathy4017!)...but property values have shot up there recently. Too many people found out about it, probably. That's where I'd live in TX if I had my druthers.
Yep, LOL!! Just like I do. There are times when I wish I had seriously considered that whole area instead of moving to NM.

Then, I consider all of the downsides--isolation, lack of services, etc--and then it doesn't look quite the same.

I'd love the highest parts of Davis Mountains Resort, if it were not for having to have wells/septic systems and the like. There are areas that are as high as 6200 feet, and I imagine vastly better in the summer than the rest of Texas. Some are so remote that they have water hauled in to storage tanks and such.

I can't get all of the coons up one tree......

Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,899,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The Big Bend area includes Alpine, Fort Davis and Marfa--as well as Marathon and other tiny places.
OHHHHH!! I had no idea. When I think of Big Bend country it's the remoteness of the Nat. Park that comes to mind, not the surrounding distant towns.

But I agree that the Davis Mtns. provide a "modicum" of escape from the otherwise hotter areas closer to the Rio Grande. I've been in Presidio at exactly this time of year (Easter weekend) when it was already over 100F in the afternoon. The only other times I've been there were during deer hunting seasons in the late fall/early winter.

Not sure why any of that is more desirable than here in south central NM?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,734,590 times
Hill Country

Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,993,807 times
I would say that the Hill Country is the most aesthetically pleasing to me.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,043,221 times
Tyler, considered one of THE most beautiful areas of the state. With roses,pines, oaks etc, plus the dogwood and azales trails coming up in the next 2-4 weeks with a 10 mile driving trails, largest municipal rose garden in the country, having said all that, PARTS, of the hill country are a close second but much difference between the two.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,952,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Tyler, considered one of THE most beautiful areas of the state. With roses,pines, oaks etc, plus the dogwood and azales trails coming up in the next 2-4 weeks with a 10 mile driving trails, largest municipal rose garden in the country, having said all that, PARTS, of the hill country are a close second but much difference between the two.

what he said...except that Im not too fond of the Hill Country for whatever reason...

Last edited by solytaire; 03-17-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 AM

411 posts, read 1,161,521 times
Hill Country, bar none! The Westlake area of Austin is beautiful.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
OHHHHH!! I had no idea. When I think of Big Bend country it's the remoteness of the Nat. Park that comes to mind, not the surrounding distant towns.

But I agree that the Davis Mtns. provide a "modicum" of escape from the otherwise hotter areas closer to the Rio Grande. I've been in Presidio at exactly this time of year (Easter weekend) when it was already over 100F in the afternoon. The only other times I've been there were during deer hunting seasons in the late fall/early winter.

Not sure why any of that is more desirable than here in south central NM?

I think I just get homesick for Texas at times. I miss the food and good restaurants more than anything.

I have never seen a town of this size (Alamogordo, 35-40K) with so many bland, tasteless restaurants......or just outright stinking LOUSY.

Even the backwater West Texas burg in which I grew up has vastly better eating places than what you can find here. All I really need are one good Mexican restaurant and one good steakhouse.

Fort Davis and Alpine are the same way. Even though there are not many places to eat in either town, what they do have is GOOD.

I have to go to Ruidoso to get decent food, or I cook at home. I cook more at home here than I have ever done in my life, and it's a good thing that I can make my own decent food, because that's what I end up having to do.

Even my favorite Casa de Suenos (Tularosa) was a major rip-off the other night. If there had not been a long line behind me, I would have said something.

The winter and ski season here this year has been great, but it's only going to happen periodically. Good winters every 3 years or so isn't going to cut it.

I'm really beginning to think that half the year in Texas and half the year in Colorado might be the way to go. I'm going to go look at some places (CO) after the weather moderates, and will continue to look for a place in A/FD. If I never find a place there (A/FD) I can live with, going back and forth between Alamo and CO will be OK.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 03-21-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,899,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I think I just get homesick for Texas at times. I miss the food and good restaurants more than anything.
I blame it on the trend to food service companies rather than restaurants making up their menus from scratch. I suppose in more remote small towns it's more likely the restaurateur still does their own, but most populous areas are now serviced by food service companies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas