Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Houston, NO and Memphis all followed rappers from NYC, LA and Oakland. The true ground breaking artists are out of NYC, period. That's how the rap scene goes; the hot spot moves from city to city.

Oh, and Miami was on the scene waaaay before the 3 'true' cites you mentioned. Ever heard of the 2 Live Crew?

BTW... Everything Matt says must be taken with a grain of salt; he's known as a Dallas hater around the C-D forums.
Too Live Crew, Too Short, & NWA came on the scene just a few years prior to the Geto Boys back in the mid-late 80's.

Oh & LOLz at Memphis, Tn. Three Six Mafia is the only note worthy group to come out of that city.

I fully respect NYC for what it once was in the Hip Hop world. Break Dancing & Beat Boxing originated there.

Houston is different in that it originated its own style & flavor, which reflects the way life in the South tends to be, much slower paced.

Dallas has tried for years to produce mainstream talent, but they always either wind up quitting the game completely after a brief rise in the local scene, or down in H-town to move on to bigger & better things in their musical careers. I've never known an artist move from Houston to Dallas to try & make it big.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-23-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Too Live Crew, Too Short, & NWA came on the scene just a few years prior to the Geto Boys back in the mid-late 80's.

It's the 2 Live Crew, Matt.

Oh & LOLz at Memphis, Tn. Three Six Mafia is the only note worthy group to come out of that city.

8Ball and MJG also come to mind.

I fully respect NYC for what it once was in the Hip Hop world. Break Dancing & Beat Boxing originated there.

No Matt, NYC is still at the center of the Rap and Hip Hop World.

Houston is different in that it originated its own style & flavor, which reflects the way life in the South tends to be, much slower paced.

No it's not original. Houston rappers followed the style's of rappers from New Orleans and Memphis. The only thing originated out of SE Texas was UGK's Chopped & Screwed style.

Dallas has tried for years to produce mainstream talent, but they always either wind up quitting the game completely after a brief rise in the local scene, or down in H-town to move on to bigger & better things in their musical careers. I've never known an artist move from Houston to Dallas to try & make it big.

Dorrough is already mainstream.
^

Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
^
Houston was influenced by the Bay Area. If you knew anything about the Houston scene; you'd know that. Anyone will tell you lyrically; Houston put the south on the map. 2 live crew was just rapping about booty shaking and f***King.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston was influenced by the Bay Area. If you knew anything about the Houston scene; you'd know that. Anyone will tell you lyrically; Houston put the south on the map. 2 live crew was just rapping about booty shaking and f***King.
The Bay Area?

Nah, I think there's a much better likelihood the bulk of Houston rappers were influenced by the Cash Money Millionaires, Master P. 8Ball and MJG.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
The Bay Area?

Nah, I think there's a much better likelihood the bulk of Houston rappers were influenced by the Cash Money Millionaires, Master P. 8Ball and MJG.
No sure what your basing this off because everyone knows the Houston has strong connections with the Bay Area. Lots of Bay area rappers were signed to Rap-A-Lot.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
Remember southwest wholesale is the reason why all these places connected. Houston, Cali & New Orleans.

He's right H-town and the west coast have been on the same level since the early 90's. The E-40's and Too short and UGK are all on the same level because they were all on the same label Jive, so they had a lot of collabos and guest apprences.

The H-town Freestyling Screw up click is Southside of Houston born and bred. Big Pokey Fat Pat HAWK Z-ro Big Moe those boys created a sound with freestyling and rapping about struggling life in Houston and material things people in ghetto crave for. Master P know about DJ Screw, listen to down south hustlers cd from 95. Eightball and MJG started in Houston in 93.

In all its the Geto Boys before everything, they came out in 1986 the greatest storytellers of all time and pioneers of the south.

2 live crew was cool but they were not rapping, more partying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
I honestly think the Houston scene is cooling off...The pioneering of screw era is not relevent anymore....and seem like these days Houston is living in the past. The hip hop game is an on-going thing....yeah yall WERE great at some time but the **** yall holding on too is almost 30yrs old...and not relevent anymore.These Days people listen to whats hot.....and thats Dallas RIGHT NOW......dance music or not.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
Dallas is holding the game down right now, but all these other artists outside of TX are trying to copy that H-town sound ( slang, cars, etc).
T-pain made it clear with the song chopped and screwed, everybody has a slowed down version of a their album. So the influence is still hot and burning bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I honestly think the Houston scene is cooling off...The pioneering of screw era is not relevent anymore....and seem like these days Houston is living in the past. The hip hop game is an on-going thing....yeah yall WERE great at some time but the **** yall holding on too is almost 30yrs old...and not relevent anymore.These Days people listen to whats hot.....and thats Dallas RIGHT NOW......dance music or not.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Dallas is holding the game down right now, but all these other artists outside of TX are trying to copy that H-town sound ( slang, cars, etc).
T-pain made it clear with the song chopped and screwed, everybody has a slowed down version of a their album. So the influence is still hot and burning bro.
I beg to differ...T-Pain is even old news....and I aint Heard of people screwing their whole album n years....Listen to todays radio...I cant think of one screwed song or even srewed part of a song...its the past...And to be honest The chalie boy song"On my Mama" has Dallas written all over it....But nobody would dare say Houston is copying dallas ****....But I am......Swagg Jackin!!!!

P.S....Even the Candy Red song "Independent B's" is jockin Dallas ****!!.....she name every Dallas dance there is!! So somebody is diggin our ****!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Chopped & Screwed style is still big in todays Hip Hop scene. A lot of up & coming artists have incorporated some elements of it into their songs. Even Ludacris reps Screw Music.

Amazing to think it took almost 15 years for it to catch on outside of the Dirty South. I was jammin' Lil' Keke Screwed back in like 97.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas