Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times

Advertisements

Hi All~
I accepted an awesome job offer in Brownsville, TX . Ofcourse now reality is kicking in and I'm freaking out about finding an apartment . My major problem is choosing where I want to live. The area I live in now is a small city but there is plenty to do from the theater to clubs and shopping to the beach. I would like something similar in RGV. I have read many posts on the site and it's become so confusing reading arguments between people who love and hate the Valley. Basically I want to know what city is safe yet fun for a single gal? What areas should I avoid?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:14 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_Chick View Post
Hi All~
I accepted an awesome job offer in Brownsville, TX . Ofcourse now reality is kicking in and I'm freaking out about finding an apartment . My major problem is choosing where I want to live. The area I live in now is a small city but there is plenty to do from the theater to clubs and shopping to the beach. I would like something similar in RGV. I have read many posts on the site and it's become so confusing reading arguments between people who love and hate the Valley. Basically I want to know what city is safe yet fun for a single gal? What areas should I avoid?

Thanks!
Brownsville is statistically a safe place.Safer than Abilene or Amarillo,especially in the areas of murders and rapes.I have worked in the RGV and loved it,but then I love being in different cultural places and wasn't freaked out by being a minority.As far as where,use a local real estate agent or rental agent.At least go to a real estate agent,tell them your situation,and ask them about what areas of town to look in.

Many people diss the RGV,but it is a cool place if you go there with the right mindset.If a person wants to live in a whitebread area that is a clone of every other whitebread suburban area in Dallas or Houston ( and I say this as a white guy),then the RGV isn't going to be a place for you.If you are somewhat adventurous and can get enjoyment from experiencing a way of life different from what you may be used to,then Brownsville and the RGV can be a lot of fun.People that get PO'd that the announcements over the PA in a Walmart are in Spanish instead of English will hate it.People that aren't threatened by being where the Mexicans are the vast majority may well love it.I did,and could easily live there.

But keep in mind,if you don't know it,that Brownsville is about 90% Hispanic,10% white.If that is going to make you uncomfortable,then the RGV is not the place for you.You even have to pass Border Patrol checkpoints to get back to Corpus Christi.And find out early what places and areas to avoid.You are on the border with Mexico.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
You could live on South Padre Island it's only 25 miles from Brownsville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas