Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM

157 posts, read 296,915 times

Advertisements

In terms of City population alone, San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas beating Dallas by a few thousands but the Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan Area for sure is the largest Metro in all of Texas.
Dallas and San Antonio has two different economies, however they do also boasts alot of companies especially Dallas with having more fortune 500 companies and coming I believe in second place in the whole country.
Dallas has a more financial downtown very ritzy with nice skyscrapers and a very upscale Uptown area also. San Antonio doesn't fall behind and perhaps it's business area is located in different areas, San Antonio has far more tourism than Dallas and has one of the most attractive downtown I've seen thanks to it's Riverwalk and it's Spanish architecture around the area along with the Alamo of course.
Both are cities I'd live in and currently live in San Antonio and like it so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
Dallas with having more fortune 500 companies and coming I believe in second place in the whole country.
Nope. That would be Houston. Dallas is #4. Still a very good ranking.

Cities Hosting the Most Fortune 500 Companies

Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

Lol right? Where do these people come up with this stuff?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Oh Common TexasTallest it's not like I was way off LOL haha
yea I just realized that Houston obviously is at number 2 in the country and Dallas number 4 ... I have no idea why I thought Dallas but I knew it was at least in the top 5 in the country.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Yeah, I just thought it was funny you thought Dallas had more Fortune 500 companies than Houston and Chicago. They barely have more than Minneapolis.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Well yeah both Chicago and Houston are over Dallas .. but I wouldn't be surprised if in the future Dallas goes up to Number 3 since they even took AT&T away from San Antonio a few years back.. yikes lol
but San Antonio does have new companies coming.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lol right? Where do these people come up with this stuff?
He was only off by two rankings. Come on. No big deal.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
He was only off by two rankings. Come on. No big deal.
Eh I wasn't trying to make a "big deal" about it. I've just seen others make that claim before as well (that DFW is number 2, behind NYC) and it makes me laugh every time. There are a few much bigger economic powers I think they're forgetting.. (Houston and Chicago).

To put it into perspective, that's like me assuming Houston is the number one skyscraper city in the country. In reality we are number 3, behind NYC and Chicago (obviously). My (pretend) assumption of Houston being number 1 would only be off by two spots in the rankings as well, but it couldn't be any more wrong.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Eh I wasn't trying to make a "big deal" about it. I've just seen others make that claim before as well (that DFW is number 2, behind NYC) and it makes me laugh every time. There are a few much bigger economic powers I think they're forgetting.. (Houston and Chicago).

To put it into perspective, that's like me assuming Houston is the number one skyscraper city in the country. In reality we are number 3, behind NYC and Chicago (obviously). My (pretend) assumption of Houston being number 1 would only be off by two spots in the rankings as well, but it couldn't be any more wrong.
I don't think it's like that with most people though. A lot of people (not from H or D) often get Houston and Dallas mixed up in their heads. As someone who grew up in Houston but has lived all over the country in the last 30 years, I run across this kind of confusion all the time. There have been times I told people I'm from Houston and they ask me where (in Houston) the Texas Schoolbook Depository is. Is it a bit ignorant? Yes, but quite common, unfortunately.

I can easily see how someone would confuse the two cities in a Fortune 500 ranking where the two cities are so closely ranked.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 AM

382 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:

Thanks for the link.

Stands to reason, with all the big oil HQs in Houston. These don't include recent announcements of Toyota, State Farm, and Hilti. (Though, don't know of any HQ move announcements to Houston).

This might give a deeper picture (including several large Private corporations not listed on the NYSE):
http://governor.state.tx.us/files/ec..._Companies.pdf

What is impressive is they both way over-perform their size, with NY, LA, Chi metros all over or nearly so an order of magnitude bigger.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A better measure might be GDP and GDP per Capita. 2013, Houston GDP is > Dallas.
List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On a per capita basis, both Houston and Dallas are topping the growth charts since 2008:
Metro GDP | MetroInsight

Just hope that the depressed oil prices won't be too damaging to the Texas economy.

Last edited by Transplanted99; 11-03-2014 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas