U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM

57 posts, read 55,493 times
Default Texas Foster/Adopt

I am needing to talk to anyone/everyone who has ever been involved with the Texas Foster or Foster/Adopt System.

If you are interested in bringing light to a lot of needs and issues within the TEXAS Foster Care System, please private message me if:

1. You are currently a foster parent
2. You were previously a foster parent
3. You adopted children through the TEXAS Foster Care System
4. You were a child in the TEXAS Foster Care System
5. You aged out of the TEXAS Foster Care System
6. You PREVIOUSLY worked for the TEXAS Child Protective Services/Department of Family Protective Services. ** Current employees are welcome to private message me, however, you may not want to be involved in this discussion, as it may impact your job. **

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 AM
rwr

232 posts, read 219,925 times
Morning,
We were foster parents and adopted thru the Texas Dept. of Human Services, but that was about 20 years ago. What would you like to know?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 PM

I adopted 5 children through the Texas Foster Care System. The things I have witness appalls me! One specific doctor prescribing unneeded medicaitons for children (antipsychotics!!)- that State knows of this and has not revolked him from the approved list; Case Workers not doing their jobs; Foster Care Agencies lying; Foster Care Shelters placing filthy children (children are taken from their biological parents for neglect, yet the shelter can send them filthy?? they had the child 5 days!!)... this is just a drop in the bucket to the realities of what goes on! Don't get me wrong- there are some WONDERFUL case workers! I was blessed to have a total of 4 wonderful case workers out of the many that we had during our journey. But there are MANY who are not in it for these children.

I am a firm believer that the more light that is shed on the issues, the more possiblity for change that is there. These children in foster care have already been through enough, but having the system they are in not fighting for them just makes the situation worse.

These children do not have a voice- so I think that we in the foster care system who have seen the reality need to speak for them.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:42 AM
rwr

232 posts, read 219,925 times
We encountered a lot of the same things you did - I would imagine it is worse now than when we were foster parents. I do have to say though, the system is over-loaded with children, the pay for Case Workers is low, the hours are long, and they they take a mental beating because of all they see on a daily basis. If more people like you would step forward to help, the situation would improve.
God Bless and thank you for being there for these kids.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM

You are absolutely right- the system IS over-loaded with children, the pay for Case Workers is low, the hours are long and they take a mental (and emotional, as well) beating. I firmly believe the ENTIRE system needs an overhaul! From judges who think reconciliation is the priority in all cases to the foster parents themselves, and everyone in between. Don't get me wrong- I do believe that reconciliation with the biological family would be best for everyone IF, and ONLY IF the biological parents are repentent and go through their classes. But they get too many chances! Two of my children are child #5 and child #6 that have been removed from their biological mother. The judge returned them at one point, just a few months before we got them. They were left unattended in the bathtub while mom went downstairs to hang out with a friend. They were 3 and 4 at the time. One of the children got a razor and tried to "shave" the other child's legs. Needless to say, it did not end well. Why she was given so many chances I'll never know!

Then there are foster parents that are in it for the money- which is strange, because it's not that much money in the long run! But, when you do not use the money to care for the children, I guess that's just that much more for the people in it for the wrong reason to use.

There is a doctor here in San Antonio that is well-known for prescribing drugs to foster children to basically "keep them quiet". Those are my words. One of my daughters came to us on anti-psychotics! There was absolutely NO REASON she should have been on anti-psychotics! We now understand that the previous foster mom basically just left them in the room with the tv on. They never went anywhere, went out to play, or anything else. A friend of mine who is also a foster parent recently received a set of children where one of them was on this same medication as my daughter was on. The pharmacist mentioned to my friend that they all knew this doctor was a quack. When my friend talked to the CPS case worker, she told her that they were trying to get him taken off the approved list. Then, I went and looked him up online, and I found out he already has disciplinary actions and complaints against him! So, my question is, why is he STILL able to see children?! Just yesterday I contacted another person regarding this matter. I am not going to stop fighting for these children!

This is just a drop in the bucket, as I am sure you know from experience. There truly are some great case workers out there. There are people who care all throughout the system. But we need to have a complete overhaul from the top down and weed out all the bad seeds- or as many as possible! It will take time and dilligence, but these kids are worth it. If we don't fight for them, who will??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas