Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 PM

62 posts, read 458,777 times

Advertisements

I got a little flyer in the mail from this Green Mountain Energy company that claims to provide 100% clean, renewable energy. Of course I'd rather power my home with this type of energy, and the rate is similar to my regular provider, so I'm very interested.

Just want to hear from anyone who is a Green Mountain Energy customer about any pros or cons.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I had them at my apartment.

They provide good customer service.

The only problem I ever had is there is something wrong with their automatic payment via credit card option, so a couple of months my payment wasn't made. They never charged me a late charge because of it though.

Last edited by Debsi; 06-06-2007 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: extraneous s

Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I read an article a while back saying their claim of using 100% clean, renewable energy is bogus. I apologize for not remembering any details, but the bottom line was that they aren't that different from other electric companies but market themselves as a green company. I'm sure you can find more info out online.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read an article a while back saying their claim of using 100% clean, renewable energy is bogus. I apologize for not remembering any details, but the bottom line was that they aren't that different from other electric companies but market themselves as a green company. I'm sure you can find more info out online.
Try this site.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 9,194 times
Default Horrible Customer Service

I've gotten nothing but the run-around from this company. I signed up for service online and was given an arbitrary turn-on date as far as possible in the future. When i tried to sign on to my account through the site the temporary username and password I had been assigned would not grant me access. When I got around to calling the company and waiting through the automated answer service while trying to move a couple days later I got nothing but more hassle. The rep assured me she had manually changed my account username and password with the meaningless order number generated when I got the initial acct sign-in info, so that I could get online at a later time when I had access to a computer that wasn't in transit. No dice. When I finally called to track down my account number and have a solid and acceptable move-in date scheduled I was told that it was too close to the date which I was requesting and there was no moving the date as of now. I asked if I could possibly call the company that actually does the turning on (green mountain does nothing but bill you for your Kw used btw) and see if the order could be moved up I was invited to do so. After calling that company directly I was told that there was nothing they could do without an order from Green Mountain. I went through this process a couple of times before getting fed up and deciding to call another provider in the area. I was assured by my second choice that I could have service by the date I had chosen, I would have to pay a priority fee, which I was fine with doing at this point and had even asked Green Mountain if that option was available - ("Nope"), and had a contract and acceptable turn-on date within five minutes. When I then went to cancel my Green Mountain service, that had even yet to be connected, I was told that their system was updating and I would have to call back "later today".

Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
They were one of the most expensive overall companies to go with last time I was shopping for electricity, which was August. There were other "green" cos. around that offered clean power for less.

My wife also got hit by them at a grocery store, and it was nothing but runaround on the numbers. The sales guy was never completely clear. It's like the commercial on TV now that says "save up to $200 or more." What does that really mean? Absolutely nothing!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
I wouldn't rule them out entirely, especially if the rates are cheaper. First, though, I'd have to get myself a house and move out of the apartment. But that company has been one that's on my mind.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 13,164 times
Thumbs down Green Mountain Energy

Several years ago a Green Mt rep called me and convinced me to switch from the energy company I had been using for 20 years and never had a problem with over to them because of the "green" benefits at a lower rate. They said they had accessed my total usage for the past 12 months from the other company and averaged it out equally so I would have the same payment each month. No more high bills in the summer.

Sounded great so I switched and all was fine for a couple years. After getting frustrated with my bill arriving at inconsistent times each month, I found another with a lower rate and switched. Then Green Mt sent me a farewell bill for over $3,000!!! Saying I used more than my allotment.
After going round and round, being handed off to numerous people over numerous months, a rep finally admitted the reason it happened was because Green Mt never came out to read my meter until after I switched, and apologized that it was negligence on their part because they were a new company and didn't have their routes covered completely. I thought that was the end of it until several years later (today) I received a call from a collection agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: