U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,415 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Houston and need to relocate due to husband's job. We have to young children (6 and 1) and need to decide between living in Midland or Lubbock. Does anyone have any insight? We're looking for a strong elementary school and an active, kid friendly area. Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,490,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishtx View Post
We currently live in Houston and need to relocate due to husband's job. We have to young children (6 and 1) and need to decide between living in Midland or Lubbock. Does anyone have any insight? We're looking for a strong elementary school and an active, kid friendly area. Thanks for your help!

Coming from Houston,Lubbock is going to have slightly more in the way of big city amenities than Midland.School wise I would say the right area of Lubbock will be better than the right area of Midland.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM

8,717 posts, read 4,487,103 times
I lived in both cities back in the 90's. There's really no huge difference between the two except that as stated above, Lubbock will have more shopping and more restaurants that you'll find in larger cities, etc. I know the public schools in Lubbock are good and I'm pretty sure the ones in Midland are too. Both seemed to be a very family friendly cities. I enjoyed living in both Midland and Lubbock but if I were to choose to live in one of them again I'd choose Lubbock partially for the reasons stated above (I'm also a Texas Tech alumnus so I'd enjoy going to the Tech football games too!) If you haven't already done it, you might try visiting both cities and see what you think. Both cities have nice sized airports if you want to fly there.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM

Thank you so much for your insights. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods to live in? As I understand it, SW Lubbock is where the highest rated elementary schools are. As for Midland, I am still researching. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:35 AM

43 posts, read 106,998 times
Greathouse Elementary in Midland gets rave reviews from the parents I have spoken with. It is a nice school and nice neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 AM

2,416 posts, read 3,925,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishtx View Post
Thank you so much for your insights. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods to live in? As I understand it, SW Lubbock is where the highest rated elementary schools are. As for Midland, I am still researching. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You are right that the elementaries in SW Lubbock are generally the best, but there are some great magnet schools in different parts of town. Schools like Murfee, Smith, and Whiteside are in the SW part of town, and I have heard great things about Roscoe Wilson and Ramirez. Most of the newest growth is in the Cooper and Frenship ISDs, and the new elementaries like Cooper North and Cooper West in Cooper ISD and Crestview and Oakridge in Frenship ISD are great as well. You really can't go wrong with any elementary as long as it's west of University.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM

4,019 posts, read 5,037,415 times
Both cities are nice, but Lubbock is larger, so coming from Houston, it might not feel quite so different. No. Wait. I take that back. It's gonna be culture shock no matter which you choose.
I have never lived in Lubbock, but have been there many times, and it is a very nice place, but I can't actually speak to the schools or living there. To me, it has that college town feel, which of course it is. I like that.
I have, however, lived in Midland twice, and Houston twice, so I do know what you are facing. Midland is a great place to live. We actually loved it there, and are discussing go back there when its time to retire. My kids went to elementary school and part of junior high. We felt like they got good educations, although I will say that when we moved to Katy, they were a little overwhelmed by the schools, but I think that was more aobut Katy schools being so heavy-handed rather than a condemnation of Midland schools. Overall we were pleased with the schools there.
Midland has grown quite a lot, and now seems to have much more shopping and dining options. There are lots of nice, newer neighborhoods on the north and west side of town. Many have nice community pools, playgrounds and clubhouses. There are also some very nice older areas, referred to as "Old Midland". Old Midland is more diverse in architecture. Many of the neighborhoods are homes built in the 40's - early 60's. It's not the typical cookie cutter houses. They are all different and have lots of charm. Many of the homes have been renovated and have lovely mature trees and lawns. We found Old Midland to be more "natives" while the north and west neighborhoods to be more "big oil transfers". We have lived in both areas, and enjoyed both very much.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM

4,644 posts, read 6,434,139 times
Texas Tech provides more cultural opportunities than you are going to get in Midland, I would think. I lived in Lubbock years ago and certainly feel having Tech there is an advantage. I haven't lived in Midland, but I don't think it has the dynamism of Lubbock (Midland boosters will disagree with that, no doubt). I also think I had reasonably good high school education in Lubbock -- my HS offered four foreign languages and electives such as world lit. However, some of the teachers and the administrative staff were Grade-A reactionary dicks. Both Lubbock and Midland are awfully conservative (though I realise the OP may think that a good thing).

Old 03-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Thank you, again, for everyone who has posted. It is giving us a lot to think about and we really appreciate it. This move is going to be tough and want to make sure we make the best choice possible.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 76,172 times
I'm not a big advocate of my hometown, but Lubbock does have excellent school systems, as do outerlying communities such as Wolfforth, and Shallowater (if you think your kids would do better in a smaller school). Traffic isn't bad, but the drivers are. Lubbock has the most fatal automobile accidents every year in the nation. Food service and quality are decent, as are gas prices. Grocery prices, and water are BAAAD though. I'd reccomend shopping at Wal-Mart over United Supermarkets any day unless you want a hole in your wallet. Economically, Lubbock is probobly one of the better places around. However, Lubbock may be a big city but it still has that conservative small town mentality. Christianity is huge in Lubbock, and people aren't so accepting of others who believe differently. Also, if you want to fit in, start watching Football. I'm not a huge Football fan, but I find that having at least a little knowledge about it is useful and keeps people from looking at you like an idiot when you don't know who won last night's game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas