Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixjones View Post
midnightbirdgirl,

I apologize for kind of running things together in my post... the "magic pill" I was talking about was referring to ADHD, not autism.

In your case, it sounds like your child is truly autistic (which is why I made the disclaimer at the end of my post). However, I've seen several otherwise "normal" kids that have been diagnosed with autism, simply because parents are determined that whatever is "wrong" with their kids is out of their control.

After reading the part you posted on Asperger's Disorder, I've found that I fit several of these criteria, so I guess that I suffer from it. Actually, several people I know would probably suffer from it too, especially since the "symptoms" are so broad.
I mean honestly, read the symptoms and think to yourself how many people could be diagnosed with this disorder, simply because they're not as socially adept as the rest of us.

Back in my day we just called them "geeks" or "nerds" (I was one). But you know what? Once these kids figure out how to deal with other people, and gain some social skills, they often are much better at dealing with people than those that started out "at the top", and are more empathetic to the "underdogs" of society. I didn't gain my social skills until I was a junior in high school, but by my senior year I was friends with just about everybody.

Now as far as ADHD goes, my best friend in college was diagnosed with ADHD when he was a kid, though by the time he got to college he had shed his Ritalin habit, and was going through life "cold turkey". He used to always joke with everybody that he had ADHD, which is why he was so "scatterbrained", but in fact his brain just worked differently. He graduated with a degree in Marketing with a 4.0 GPA, and was always coming up with great ways to make money.
Last I heard from him he had moved back to San Diego and was making six-figures, and was starting his own business on the side where he planned to be making at least five-figures in his spare time in a year or so.

Kids today are just bombarded with 15-second or 30-second sound-bites, video games, TV shows, etc. that constantly vie for their attention. When they learn to "think" the same way, parents freak out because they think something is wrong with their child, when in fact they just need to be retrained to have a longer attention span.
Just limit the video games and TV watching, and get them reading books. This is what we've done with our kids, and my daughter is a straight-A student in the GATE program at her junior high school, and my son also scores in the top of his class (he's in 2nd grade). They are both also model students, even though if you saw how they acted at home, you wouldn't know it.

Kids are mostly little sponges that are a product of their environment, so if you change the environment, you change the kids... usually it's as simple as that.

Once again, I didn't intend to make light of your situation, and I apologize if that's how my post was received.
Graffix, I appreciate the apology, but...you are still missing the point...I see where you are coming from, but getting a DX for Asperger's or any Pervasive Developmental Disorder is generally not an easy task. It is nothing like getting an ADHD DX, trust me, you have teachers out there telling parents their kid has ADHD and telling them to medicate their children, and I have seen many folks, with just that, go to their pediatrician and get Ritalin. There is no magic pill, for autism, some drugs may help mask or calm certain issues, but there is no standard autism drug. It took us years of doctor visits, CAT Scans, MRI's you name it. No because we wanted a label, but because as a mom, I knew something was different.
I used to be a teacher, so I have been with my share of kids.
First, it is not a chemical imbalance as is ADD, but a structural difference in the brain. It cannot be cured and though can be compensated for to a degree, but never goes away.
To make light of what we parents of autistic kids deal with on a daily basis, regardless of what part of the autistic spectrum they are on, because you are ignorant to the truth is sad, and is a great disservice to the children, and those who struggle everyday with them.
Here is a link to a video, that may help you understand Asperger's Disorder better, it is real, you do not have to believe it you can remain in your ignorance, that is up to you. But if you choose to, you remain part of the problem. Many autistic children seem like neurotypical children, and that is because people choose not to see, choose not to care about what is right in from of them. People like you are dismissive. I for one will make sure that these often bullied, often ignored, often criticized, precious children are not dismissed!

YouTube - In My Mind
Asperger Syndrome: What Is It?

I post this because in your last post you specifically brought up Asperger's, and because I know many of these children, because of what I do, and my love for these children, I need to correct the falsehoods that you have posted.
MBG

Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm truly sorry to hear that Mom2Feebs... my intention was not to say that "all" those diagnosed with autism do not have it, just that it has become a blanket diagnosis any time a child is somewhat anti-social and introverted.

As I referenced earlier, my daughter's friend fit into the description I mentioned above, and some over-eager doctor decided that he had Asperger's Disorder. Oddly enough, both of his other siblings have also been diagnosed with it as well... talk about statistical anomalies!

To those people here whose children truly have autism, I am not saying that it is "all in your head". It's just that when doctors start diagnosing everyone that is somewhat antisocial as having "autism", it dilutes the legitimate cases by hiding them among the thousands of kids diagnosed that don't really have it.

I think Texas needs the "Initiative" process like we have in California, where ordinary citizens can author legislation that is put in front of the voters, provided they receive enough support (petition signatures) to get it on the ballot.
This is not to say that I favor "California-izing" Texas, just that it gives the people their own voice, instead of having to speak through their legislators, and often hitting a brick wall when they want to get something done.
You should know being a Californian, often when we vote on a measure and it gets passed, it is held up in court for years and then declared unconstitutional!Moderator cut: off topic
MBG

Last edited by Marka; 06-10-2007 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 AM

104 posts, read 485,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
To make light of what we parents of autistic kids deal with on a daily basis, regardless of what part of the autistic spectrum they are on, because you are ignorant to the truth is sad, and is a great disservice to the children, and those who struggle everyday with them.

I post this because in your last post you specifically brought up Asperger's, and because I know many of these children, because of what I do, and my love for these children, I need to correct the falsehoods that you have posted.
MBG
So I state what I have seen, from personal experience, and I'm called ignorant for it?

Tell me, then, what are the statistical odds of having not one, but three children diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder?
These kids are nowhere close to even resembling what you've stated about your child. They go to public schools, get decent grades, have a good control of the English vocabulary, and aside from being somewhat anti-social, they're absolutely "normal" (if there is such a thing).

Maybe it's a lot tougher to get diagnosed with autism in Texas, but in California, if parents press hard enough, they'll get a diagnosis on just about anything... even if there is nothing clinically wrong with their child.

That's the point I'm making, and the one you're missing. Instead you insist that I'm ignorant, and that I somehow believe that "all" cases are like this, when I've stated from my original post that there are indeed "true" cases out there.

Believe it or not, I'm on your side, even if you're trying to make me out to be the enemy of your cause.

Once again... there are legitimate cases of autism, including Asperger's Disorder. However, more and more fringe cases are being diagnosed, which does not help your cause if these kids are actually quite normal, aside from anti-social behavior, and are being misdiagnosed.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Please, everybody is welcomed to express their opinions. Let's keep personal attacks or name calling out of it ...no need to call anybody ignorant. Keep the discussion germane to debating the topic. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
You should know being a Californian, often when we vote on a measure and it gets passed, it is held up in court for years and then declared unconstitutional!
There are plenty of laws passed here in Cali too that have not been voted on, many left wing ridiculous measures, that are now law, and go against what the people want. We do not do as you claim. And Californians have very little voice!! Just look at things like education, and medical coverage for illegals.
MBG
Well, first off let me state that I'm 'moderate'... I walk the fence and don't really lean one way or another.

Education is funded at the state level, because the voters passed Prop. 13 (an Initiative) that effectively gutted public school funding by freezing property taxes... so yeah, I guess I see your point.

Most initiatives in the past were held up in court because the language was too vague, and people presenting initiatives have now learned how to play the game and court challenges are much less common.

Look at the Medical Marijuana initiative for example. Here's a law that effectively legalized an illegal drug for medical use, and though it was challenged in court, it was only held up for a few months before becoming law. I'd much rather wait a few months for something to become a law, than wait years for legislators to drag their feet while catering to special interests (the original topic of this thread).

While I don't really have an opinion on medical coverage for illegal aliens, I ask you this... would you rather have an insurance company pay for their medical care, or your tax dollars?
Unfortunately hospitals can't discriminate against anyone seeking medical care, whether they be uninsured, a non-citizen, etc. One way or another they're going to get their money, and since illegals are non-insured patients, where do you think the money is going to come from?

I'm really not trying to sound combative... it's tough when you're not having a face-to-face conversation. And the little emoticons don't do much either unless your head is round and yellow.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So I state what I have seen, from personal experience, and I'm called ignorant for it?

Tell me, then, what are the statistical odds of having not one, but three children diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder?
These kids are nowhere close to even resembling what you've stated about your child. They go to public schools, get decent grades, have a good control of the English vocabulary, and aside from being somewhat anti-social, they're absolutely "normal" (if there is such a thing).

Maybe it's a lot tougher to get diagnosed with autism in Texas, but in California, if parents press hard enough, they'll get a diagnosis on just about anything... even if there is nothing clinically wrong with their child.

That's the point I'm making, and the one you're missing. Instead you insist that I'm ignorant, and that I somehow believe that "all" cases are like this, when I've stated from my original post that there are indeed "true" cases out there.

Believe it or not, I'm on your side, even if you're trying to make me out to be the enemy of your cause.

Once again... there are legitimate cases of autism, including Asperger's Disorder. However, more and more fringe cases are being diagnosed, which does not help your cause if these kids are actually quite normal, aside from anti-social behavior, and are being misdiagnosed.
Autism disorders are hereditary, so the odds of having 3 with it are not that low, it happens. Instead of criticizing it, think how difficult it is for these parents!
Depending on the schools, the children can do quite well with the appropriate IEP. My son BTW has an IQ over 140... so he is not slow by any stretch of the imagination. Autistics generally have average to high IQ's.
My son, is hyper-verbal, started speaking in sentences before he reached a year. But he can't tie his shoes, writes like a 4 year old, cannot think outside of himself, has severe sensory integration problems, took years to get him to hold a fork, he hums incessantly, has never looked me in the face, he is unable to reciprocate any emotion, and has autistic meltdowns (goes into an autistic rage that goes on for hours sometimes where everything any everyone is an inanimate object) has ticks, he is basically stuck socially at age 9...he is 13, I could go on but you get the picture....
I am in California, Graffix, if you read my posts you would know that. It is not easy to get a DX of AS/Autism or HFA here, trust me, I work with these kids and know how difficult a DX is to come by. IEP's for autistic kids often take years to implement and most schools ofter little to nothing for them. But that is the wonderful California school system, we spend more on illegal children than we do on our own who need extra help, hence we are flat bottom in education. I am not saying that there are not some unscrupulous doctors out there, there are. But unlike ADHD, there is no benefit to the diagnostic physician, as there is no Magic Pill they would be getting a kick back on.
Autism and all PDD's are social disorders.
au·tism
A pervasive developmental disorder characterized by severe deficits in social interaction and communication, by an extremely limited range of activities and interests, and often by the presence of repetitive, stereotyped behaviors.

an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short attention span and inability to treat others as people

A developmental disorder characterized by severe deficits in social interaction and communication and by abnormal behavior patterns, such as the repetition of specific movements or a tendency to focus on certain objects. Autism is evident in the first years of life. Its cause is unknown.

A serious disorder appearing in childhood and characterized by the child's refusal to relate to other people and severely limited use of language. The cause of autism in children is unknown, but researchers generally feel that it lies in a malfunction of the central nervous system, not in the way parents have treated them or in other aspects of their environment. The term is sometimes applied, more loosely, to adults who are extremely self-absorbed and who see things in terms of their hopes and fantasies rather than realistically.

: a developmental disorder that appears by age three and that is variable in expression but is recognized and diagnosed by impairment of the ability to form normal social relationships, by impairment of the ability to communicate with others, and by stereotyped behavior patterns especially as exhibited by a preoccupation with repetitive activities of restricted focus rather than with flexible and imaginative ones

I hope these definitions will help you understand what you seem not to about this disorder. There is so much misinformation out there, most people are completely clueless on what autism is.
MBG

Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Please, everybody is welcomed to express their opinions. Let's keep personal attacks or name calling out of it ...no need to call anybody ignorant. Keep the discussion germane to debating the topic. Thanks!

Ignorance does not mean stupid. It isn't "name-calling". Ignorance means unknowing. There's a difference.

Ignorance IS germane to the topic. That's part of the problem here!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Well, first off let me state that I'm 'moderate'... I walk the fence and don't really lean one way or another.

Education is funded at the state level, because the voters passed Prop. 13 (an Initiative) that effectively gutted public school funding by freezing property taxes... so yeah, I guess I see your point.

Most initiatives in the past were held up in court because the language was too vague, and people presenting initiatives have now learned how to play the game and court challenges are much less common.

Look at the Medical Marijuana initiative for example. Here's a law that effectively legalized an illegal drug for medical use, and though it was challenged in court, it was only held up for a few months before becoming law. I'd much rather wait a few months for something to become a law, than wait years for legislators to drag their feet while catering to special interests (the original topic of this thread).

While I don't really have an opinion on medical coverage for illegal aliens, I ask you this... would you rather have an insurance company pay for their medical care, or your tax dollars?
Unfortunately hospitals can't discriminate against anyone seeking medical care, whether they be uninsured, a non-citizen, etc. One way or another they're going to get their money, and since illegals are non-insured patients, where do you think the money is going to come from?

I'm really not trying to sound combative... it's tough when you're not having a face-to-face conversation. And the little emoticons don't do much either unless your head is round and yellow.
This is way OT, I will not answer this here.
MBG

Old 06-10-2007, 12:45 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Here's my take on this situation although I know it won't necessarily be a popular point of view. In order to have a well functioning society where everyone gets the benefits they need, we need to be concerned about the least of us, children, seniors, poor people, and people with disabilities. It has been my experience that many people don't care about the least of us-- children, seniors, poor people, people with disabilities-- and refuse support legislation and yes taxes that will support them, until and unless it strikes home and we find ourselves in a situation of need, then we are outraged and disappointed. What we forget is that whatever our current situation might be, we (or our family members) could all end up in one of these situations and needing the support of the larger society. I am not religious, but I do believe that as a society we really should be concerned and support the least of us if not out of compassion then at least out of self-interest.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM

I guess I keep digging myself further into a hole, so I'll quiet down now... one thing I've learned is that after the hole starts getting too deep, it's best to stop shoveling.

And my last post was not way off-topic, and it's actually very germain to the discussion. If Texas had an initiative process, the original post would be a non-issue.

It's obvious that things are not getting done through the 'proper channels', and legislators are more concerned with special interests than the needs of the people. At least an initiative process would give the citizens an end-run around the legislature and bypass them altogether... of course the voters would still have to approve it, but I find that voters are much more sympathetic since they're not getting perks and kickbacks to keep legislation from seeing the light of day.

Now I'm done... sorry if I offended anyone, and for my 'ignorance' (in the true lexicological definition).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: