Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,374 times

Advertisements

Overall, Texas is a pretty conservative (Republican) state, but Republican and small-mindedness do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. There are plenty of Republicans who are perfectly fine dealing with people whose religion, sexual orientation, etc are different from their own.
Unfortunately, there are also a lot of people who are pretty backwards in their beliefs, but you'll find those in cities as well as in rural communities. That being said, good people can be found anywhere as well.
So to answer your question, people from Texas may be a bit different overall than people from other parts of the country, but not in a bad way. And really, people are people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
No. I disagree. People are taught to be politically correct to your face. Then oust the minorities out in secretive ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Overall, Texas is a pretty conservative (Republican) state, but Republican and small-mindedness do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. There are plenty of Republicans who are perfectly fine dealing with people whose religion, sexual orientation, etc are different from their own.
Unfortunately, there are also a lot of people who are pretty backwards in their beliefs, but you'll find those in cities as well as in rural communities. That being said, good people can be found anywhere as well.
So to answer your question, people from Texas may be a bit different overall than people from other parts of the country, but not in a bad way. And really, people are people.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM

173 posts, read 402,009 times
Community colleges usually do not offer housing, though some junior colleges have options. That is because the schools are not like universities, they are for local students with housing. Though they will take foreign students, they are not designed for a major population.

I have never seen any school offer a home stay except for foreign language schools, to help with the immersion and language transition. You could post an ad on Craigslist, or you could look at rooms for rent. Get creative.

And stop listening to bizarre rumors and crazy online posts. Texas is no different than anywhere else.

Also, if it is important that someone feels comfortable because of a personal belief system (such as not wanting to be in a certain type of environment) So what?

I wouldn't want to spend two years in a hostile environment.

And no, people in Texas are no more racist than people in India, Pakistan, Massachusetts, New York, England or Spain.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
I'm not sure why, but some people in the Northeast and California have a bizarre perception of Texas (just like I'm sure some Texans have of those regions as well). When I visited San Francisco, I tried to ask some locals for directions, and they were nice enough until they asked where I was from. When I said I was from Texas, they blew me off. This didn't happen once, but twice! Then again, that was San Francisco; San Diegans are cool by me. There is something of a rivalry between New York, California, and Texas. They are the three largest states by population, and I think we try to belittle each other to make our own state look better. That being said, I would recommend going to the college in Dallas. There are some great people in small towns, but some rather close-minded ones as well, and this goes for rural areas in every part of the nation, whether it be Texas, New York, California, etc.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
First of all don't believe the hype that Republicans are racist because that is not true. People in Texas mix a lot better in my opinion (visiting) than in other very diverse places like South Florida, California, or NY/NJ. There are many people of Indian descent in Texas and it is a very friendly state, even in big cities like Dallas and Fort Worth, compared to the northeast or the West Coast.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Every time I see the title of this thread, "Are people in Texas different?", I always think, "Of course. We're not all the same."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 15,670 times
I'm not exactly sure where in Texas you are planning to be, but I would not be too afraid of prejudice. Most of the major cities in texas are extremely diverse (arguably as diverse as NYC or LA) and I know that San Antonio, Houston, and Sugar Land (an area just outside of Houston) have significant Indian populations. I have several Indian friends (although not all of them were born in India) and I eat Indian food all the time. If you are not going to be living in a super tiny town in Texas you shouldn't have any problems. Just remember that Texas' state motto is friendship and boy howdy we stick to it!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margrudydur View Post
Just remember that Texas' state motto is friendship and boy howdy we stick to it!
That's right, unless you're on the highway. The it's "Lead, follow, or get the #@$% out of the way".

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

17 posts, read 92,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
As I suspected they dont offer any sort of accommodation.
Do you guys know anyone who would like to house an Indian student in their basement or whatever?
I will pay the rent and everything plus I will have a new family.
We an start somewhere....
Have you looked at Tyler Junior College? I don't know if they offer many classes in your major (although the Hudnall Planetarium is located on campus), but it is a good sized junior college that has dorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas