Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I set the thermostat at 80 and once in a while, turn it down to 78.

Jesus. I'd melt. I set it at 74 when I leave, and 68 when I am at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:37 PM

57 posts, read 143,910 times
That's the difference the humidity makes. Even though it can get 105 degrees in my California town, we usually keep the thermostat on 79 or 80 degrees. I remember living in Houston, we had to keep the AC on 70 just to keep the 'wet' out of the air. Ugghh.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Jesus. I'd melt. I set it at 74 when I leave, and 68 when I am at home.
It's not pleasant but at your setting, it would NEVER shut off. I just won't let that happen. Being uncomfortable for five months hasn't killed me yet. There are crazies around here that "can't wait for it to be 105 degrees in the shade," but they're already running their A/C. That certainly makes no sense to me. The griped all Winter about, "I live in Texas and it's not supposed to be this cold." Whatever!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Why would you voluntarily be uncomfortable in your home?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
See, that is something I just totally do not understand as well. I don't want to walk around in the freezing winter all bundled up in my own house and I sure as heck am NOT going to live in a stiffling oven in my own home. Either of those conditions would send two of us in this household to the doctor and the ER.

FYI, even when the a/c is set to 74 in the heat of summer it DOES turn off. A very efficient unit that is well cared for and maintained can properly cool a house to a very comfortable temp and not run constantly nonstop.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
A very efficient unit that is well cared for and maintained can properly cool a house to a very comfortable temp and not run constantly nonstop.
A very efficient unit won't do as well if the house is poorly insulated to begin with, or has large window areas that are not double paned.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I don't know about you, but when it's 99 outside with a 111 Houston heat index, 78 with all the fans blowing on high feels pretty darn comfortable. When it goes down to 75 at night with all those fans going it can feel almost cold.

80 is still a bit too warm for me. I only set it to 80ish when I'm leaving for the weekend to save a few bucks.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I guess it's just a choice to conserve energy, plus I really love fresh air and not A/C or a heater. When I'm really busy "ginning" around is when I get uncomfortable but not nearly as uncomfortable as when I'm outside working in the yard, et al. The house then feels like a freezer.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 04-16-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
See, that is something I just totally do not understand as well. I don't want to walk around in the freezing winter all bundled up in my own house and I sure as heck am NOT going to live in a stiffling oven in my own home. Either of those conditions would send two of us in this household to the doctor and the ER.

FYI, even when the a/c is set to 74 in the heat of summer it DOES turn off. A very efficient unit that is well cared for and maintained can properly cool a house to a very comfortable temp and not run constantly nonstop.
I agree. I wouldn't want to be in my house freezing either or in a stifling oven. 80 degrees is hardly an oven or a stifling one at that, and my house is never freezing.

FYI, the A/C doesn't turn off until after dark. Sometimes the running drives me so crazy, I then turn it to 82 to make it stop for a while. Again, hardly an oven temperature. I had an electrician test my unit for efficiency and he said with the low bills I'm paying, I have nothing to worry about ... it's working wonderfully well.

I don't understand how people can say the weather in Texas "isn't that hot" but yet, they keep their thermostat set relatively low. If it's not that hot, why keep a house so cool and low in humidity? One day the humidity is good, but the next day is bites. Crazy!

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 04-16-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I don't know about you, but when it's 99 outside with a 111 Houston heat index, 78 with all the fans blowing on high feels pretty darn comfortable. When it goes down to 75 at night with all those fans going it can feel almost cold.

80 is still a bit too warm for me. I only set it to 80ish when I'm leaving for the weekend to save a few bucks.
80 degrees with the fans on really is quite pleasant unless I'm getting physical. Then it gets uncomfortable but a cool shower makes it "all better." No one can argue it surely beats the temperature outside. Mine gets set to 85 when I go away for a few days. Even that feels cool when walking in from the stifling outside temps.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 04-16-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas