Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with most "Texas" flavor?
Austin 14 19.72%
Dallas 16 22.54%
Houston 13 18.31%
Other 28 39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has a lot of activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
The thing is that San Antonio has one of the largest Stock Show And Rodeo in the country

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
San Antonio has a lot of activities.

Yeah I didn't even know it was one of the largest Stock Show and Rodeo's in the country untill I read that on wikipedia lol

Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Absolutely correct. Austin is about as Texas as it gets. Poor, faceless suburbs that scream "THIS IS TEXAS". Anti environment, anti car movement, hollier than thou attitude about everything, longhorns, the capitol, bla bla bla bla!! Austin is deepindahearta Texas and it shows in every possible way. Oh yes, and did I forget THE GLORIOUS HILLBILLY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No way. And are you in the same exact Austin that I once lived in?
Everything about Austin has Texas written all over it. Everybody there is obsessed with long-horn games and bats under a bridge and dog and duck pub and kick-ball tournaments and going to the capitol and the hill-country and Mount Bonnell and Barton springs pool and the grunge junk art in south congress and 6th street and University of Texas and burnt orange. That is Texas hill-country! I hate it but it is worth living there if you enjoy that type of stuff.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
The thing is that San Antonio has one of the largest Stock Show And Rodeo in the country

I never knew that, but that would fit in with the description of San Antonio being the biggest convention city in Texas.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:

And Houston actually has the largest in the world:

Welcome - Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fort Worth has a nice sized one, too.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM

380 posts, read 642,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Most people do think of Dallas when they think of Texas, but that doesnt mean it is the stereotypical Texas. Fort Worth and San Antonio are much more what people would imagine Texas to be like, but it works for them. Unlike Dallas and Austin who wish they werent in Texas, Fort Worth and San Antonio embrace it on all levels.
Thats BS, man. Screw the non-believers. Austin is very proud to be a part of Texas. You may get some loons here and there from California or whatever who are just here for the cheap property, but in general Austin is VERY Texas proud.

I do think that Austin represents pretty well what modern Texas is like. Austin has high technology, a vibrant music scene, the big houses & wide streets, the college football fascination, the BBQ, with an even balance of international, southwestern, Hispanic, and some purely southern influences...hence the state we know and love. Plus you can find the legendary Broken Spoke dance hall, as well as Midnight Rodeo, Rebel's Honky Tonk, etc which is classic Texas all the way. And don't forget the Austin rodeo, ROT rally, etc.

If you're a purist, though, looking for the Texas cliche of boots and jeans and calf fries and a rodeo right in town, I'd have to go with Fort Worth. Even more so than what I've seen of West Texas.

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 05-13-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas