Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Oh, my Lord. Based on the description in the article I read, that coyote was not "menacing" him! I've encountered coyotes before (and I'm a 5'2" woman, and was unarmed at the time), and yelling at it would, yes, make it stop and look at me. Or, if I had a dog with me, I'm sure it would look at the dog as being much more interesting in general. Mainly, to see if we're a threat to it. Another yell, if I'm so inclined, and they generally go on their way, but I'm not so silly as to yell at coyotes most of the time. I just watch them, and they move on eventually, even if they notice my presence. When they're singing of an evening, around the ranch, I'll whistle, and they'll stop and listen to that. And move on.

This paints our governor in SUCH a bad light. "Imminent danger", my foot.

And, yes, I like animals, and, no, I have no problem shooting an animal that is truly menacing. But this is just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Oh, my Lord. Based on the description in the article I read, that coyote was not "menacing" him! I've encountered coyotes before (and I'm a 5'2" woman, and was unarmed at the time), and yelling at it would, yes, make it stop and look at me. Or, if I had a dog with me, I'm sure it would look at the dog as being much more interesting in general. Mainly, to see if we're a threat to it. Another yell, if I'm so inclined, and they generally go on their way, but I'm not so silly as to yell at coyotes most of the time. I just watch them, and they move on eventually, even if they notice my presence. When they're singing of an evening, around the ranch, I'll whistle, and they'll stop and listen to that. And move on.

This paints our governor in SUCH a bad light. "Imminent danger", my foot.

And, yes, I like animals, and, no, I have no problem shooting an animal that is truly menacing. But this is just silly.
Agreed. Reading that line about imminent danger just makes me .

Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM

I told my husband about it. After he stopped laughing so hard he couldn't talk, he said that, to be completely fair, the Governor probably WAS in imminent danger, as the coyote was looking at him thinking that he'd never seen a chicken that big and was wondering if he could possibly eat it all at one sitting.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
In other news......Students finished Perry's TAKS test today.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
In other news......Students finished Perry's TAKS test today.
I bet everybody here would react the exact same way if it was a rapper that shot a coyote while he was walking his pitbull.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
It's Gubnor Goodhair showboating. What a lot of folks forget is that he has a detachment (that's the DPS term) of six, Texas commissioned peace officers guarding him and Anita. He didn't need to kill the coyote. The real law enforcement professionals could have easily tasered or pepper sprayed the coyote.

The real problem with this story? Coyotes avoid people. This is Rick spinning a story. Nothing more, nothing less. He's going to be with us for the next 4 years.

Think term limits folks. Otherwise, its more of the same, and we have a $5 to 11 Billion budget shortfall. Rick always seems to forget that little tidbit.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM

167 posts, read 354,177 times
It was a coyote. He should have shot it just because it was there. I don't know Texas law but in PA you can shoot them day and night all year long. And we still have too many. My hat's off to Perry for shooting it.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
He broke the law = Perry is a criminal
Interesting take. Which law did he break?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
It was a coyote. He should have shot it just because it was there. I don't know Texas law but in PA you can shoot them day and night all year long. And we still have too many. My hat's off to Perry for shooting it.
Why? And if you read the article, the coyote was not in Rick Perry's territory, Rick Perry was in the coyote's territory.

Coyotes, just like every creature (including humans), have their place in the ecosystem. Shooting them simply for existing says a heck of a lot more about the person who has that attitude than it does about the coyote, none of it complimentary.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
While I was living in Colorado, my husband and I encountered a coyote. It was after dark and my cat got out of the apartment. Knowing that coyotes were all over the place where we lived we went out to look for him. We were walking on the hike/bike trail along the greenbelt behind our apartment, when a little ways up ahead of us, I saw what I thought was a stray german shepherd. When we got close enough to it, we realized it was a lone coyote, but all it did was walk right past us. It looked at us as it passed, but it didn't act aggressively at all, and it was close enough that I could have leaned over to touch it. I know in packs they can be a danger, but not alone. I'm of the opinion the governor is trying to showboat before the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas