Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better, in your opinion?
Williams Tower (Houston) 34 52.31%
Bank of America Tower (Dallas) 28 43.08%
Neither, another building elsewhere in Texas is better! 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 PM

457 posts, read 900,355 times

Advertisements

I voted BOA not only because I'm a homer, but I like the facade, the height, and the lighting scheme is perfect for downtown Dallas. BOA is a big exclamation point for the Dallas skyline and I love everything about it. And BOA wins a point for being the biggest skyscraper in Texas.

I haven't seen Williams Tower in person, but the facade seems a little busy in the photos I've seen. Other than that, I love it - WT is big, tall, and it’s the consummate Texas skyscraper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,736,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I voted BOA not only because I'm a homer, but I like the facade, the height, and the lighting scheme is perfect for downtown Dallas. BOA is a big exclamation point for the Dallas skyline and I love everything about it. And BOA wins a point for being the biggest skyscraper in Texas.

I haven't seen Williams Tower in person, but the facade seems a little busy in the photos I've seen. Other than that, I love it - WT is big, tall, and it’s the consummate Texas skyscraper.
BOA is not the tallest skyscraper in Texas (921 ft) JPMorgan Chase in Houston is the tallest (1,002 ft)

Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM

457 posts, read 900,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
BOA is not the tallest skyscraper in Texas (921 ft) JPMorgan Chase in Houston is the tallest (1,002 ft)
I didn't say it is the tallest, I said it's the biggest, as in leasable square footage. RRRREEEEEAAAAADDDD.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,755,916 times
The Williams Tower in Houston is arguably Philip Johnson's best building (The Lipstick building in Manhattan would be a close second) and perhaps the most distinguished 1980s skyscraper in the world. The BOA plaza in Dallas is a a generic 1980s tall box with flashy neon outlining trying to make it look like something. This is like comparing an aston martin to a honda civic. Not remotely close.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,608,197 times
I've always liked Williams Tower with the rotating beacon on top and the Water Wall is nice.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,245,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
And BOA wins a point for being the biggest skyscraper in Texas.[/font][/color]
What? How do you figure? Do you have anything to back that up?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,954,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I've always liked Williams Tower with the rotating beacon on top and the Water Wall is nice.
I have too, I know that there are a lot of other tall towers in Uptown as well, but most of the time from across the city, all I can see in Uptown is the Williams Tower. They really need to get some more things going on in there.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I have too, I know that there are a lot of other tall towers in Uptown as well, but most of the time from across the city, all I can see in Uptown is the Williams Tower. They really need to get some more things going on in there.
Why though? Uptown has no shortage of tall buildings. If there is another tower even built near the height of the Williams Tower in Uptown, you can say goodbye to the beacon at night.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,954,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Why though? Uptown has no shortage of tall buildings. If there is another tower even built near the height of the Williams Tower in Uptown, you can say goodbye to the beacon at night.
No not that tall, but a building that actually stands out. I don't think I'm making any sense lol, but I'm sure you've noticed driving into the city from various points you see the Beacon Light on the Williams Tower, and that's the only tower you can see lol.

I guess my point being is that all the other buildings there must be pretty narrow to not be seen from further distances, because their height seems to be alright.

Just a thought, well more of an observation, lol.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No not that tall, but a building that actually stands out. I don't think I'm making any sense lol, but I'm sure you've noticed driving into the city from various points you see the Beacon Light on the Williams Tower, and that's the only tower you can see lol.

I guess my point being is that all the other buildings there must be pretty narrow to not be seen from further distances, because their height seems to be alright.

Just a thought, well more of an observation, lol.
You can see other buildings the close you get to 610, coming from the west on I-10. You can even see Downtown peaking above the trees. On the Westpark Tollway, you can see almost all of Uptown. It really depends on what part of the city you are coming in from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas