U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 PM

673 posts, read 3,580,846 times

Advertisements

I was wondering Ive never been in Dallas or Houston. But Houston just seems much nicer based on my perception then Dallas.

Dallas despite being in the same economic league as Houston for some reason ive heard is just a very, very snooty and fake place and Houston is more genuine, real and laid-back. Thats just what I have heard but I guess Dallas has a long record of having a very arrogant populous compared to other Texas and american cities.

I have been to neither but I have interacted with people from both and while the people ive been around from Houston have been friendly, genuine people who seem fun to be around the ones from the Dallas area have had sterile, arrogant, prententious personalities.

For some reason when I think of Dallas I think of people walking in designer fashions from their expensive european SUV's in 110 degree heat with big glasses like they are celebrities while Houstonians I see as being the more laid-back type similar to what Austin's image is about but just on a larger scale.

I guess for some reason Dallas seems like a place where someone is judged based on the square footage of their wood-framed residence. I might be off base but it just seems like for being a metropolitan area of 6 million people being someone who likes to visit urban areas I have never felt anything for Dallas or heard anything at all good about it from people who been there but Houston I hear lots of great stuff about the culture down there and the scene.

Anyway, are these perceptions right?

Is Fort Worth similar in personality to Dallas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 10,830,652 times
Moderator cut: off-topic
cbs11tv.com - Dallas Vs. Houston; Which City Is Best? (broken link)

Dallas vs. Houston: Round 3,459 | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering Ive never been in Dallas or Houston. But Houston just seems much nicer based on my perception then Dallas.

Dallas despite being in the same economic league as Houston for some reason ive heard is just a very, very snooty and fake place and Houston is more genuine, real and laid-back. Thats just what I have heard but I guess Dallas has a long record of having a very arrogant populous compared to other Texas and american cities.

I have been to neither but I have interacted with people from both and while the people ive been around from Houston have been friendly, genuine people who seem fun to be around the ones from the Dallas area have had sterile, arrogant, prententious personalities.

For some reason when I think of Dallas I think of people walking in designer fashions from their expensive european SUV's in 110 degree heat with big glasses like they are celebrities while Houstonians I see as being the more laid-back type similar to what Austin's image is about but just on a larger scale.

I guess for some reason Dallas seems like a place where someone is judged based on the square footage of their wood-framed residence. I might be off base but it just seems like for being a metropolitan area of 6 million people being someone who likes to visit urban areas I have never felt anything for Dallas or heard anything at all good about it from people who been there but Houston I hear lots of great stuff about the culture down there and the scene.

Of course we realize these are generalizations and there are exceptions to every rule. Okay, now that that's out of the way... Overall, I would say your perception of the differences in friendliness between these two cities is pretty spot on. This isn't to say there aren't any friendly people in Dallas... but the difference is you may hit a wall in Dallas much sooner than you would in Houston. Dallasites can be polite, but they seem more cliquish, like they stay in their own little circles more. In Houston you are much more likely to meet someone and be invited somewhere upon first meeting. Houstonians seem to think you can never have enough friends whereas in Dallas people seem content with the friends they've got. Does that make sense? Funny, because as I type this I realize I kind of witnessed this last night as I found myself in my car at a stoplight between three cyclists on their way home. Two to my right, one waiting to make a left. They were having a conversation across my car and it was apparent they'd just met that evening. While waiting for the light to change, the guys on my left got to know the guy on my right, who ended up inviting them to an upcoming race. In my experience stuff like that doesn't happen in Dallas, or at least not with the frequency it happens here.

Ft. Worth is not similar to Dallas in this way, or at all really. I've visited a few times and it's a neat little city. People struck me as considerably more laid back in Ft. Worth than in Dallas. The pace is slower to reflect this and people are friendly there.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-13-2007 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: hit submit too soon

Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 AM

9,172 posts, read 21,968,377 times
Dallas is more pretentious than Houston, and there is a lot more cliquishness. People can be friendly in Dallas, but they do like to show what their money can buy...Houston, if people have money, don't flaunt it as much, and are friendlier to those that don't have as much. So what you posted is pretty accurate in my opinion.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM

3,494 posts, read 12,273,136 times
dont know about Houston............but with regards to your question about Ft Worth........you cannot compare Ft Worth and Dallas. just cant. and yes it is friendlier in Ft Worth

Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 29,080 times
Fort Worth is more country, and Dallas is all city. I've lived in between all my life and I like both. Yes, Dallas is pretty plastic. Growing up here I didn't know any different until I visited Austin.

BTW, they don't live in wood frame homes, lol. The ones that do are not part of any elitist crowd.

I didn't know Houston was considered friendlier. I hate Houston, but I'm told Houston and Dallas are exactly alike and people from each dislike the other. (The place, not the people).

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,575,828 times
Dallas and Houston are both mega cities, but I do think that overall Dallas tends to be a little more plastic (especially north of Dallas). Other suburbs around Dallas seem a little more laid back and down to earth. Houston on the other hand, I don't really get that feeling of plastic at all. Houston overall feels more down to earth and blue collar. Not that there aren't fabulously wheathly suburbs in Houston, but just the overall feel. The element of "fake" doesn't exist in Houston as much as north Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlndjssc View Post
Fort Worth is more country, and Dallas is all city. I've lived in between all my life and I like both. Yes, Dallas is pretty plastic. Growing up here I didn't know any different until I visited Austin.

BTW, they don't live in wood frame homes, lol. The ones that do are not part of any elitist crowd.

I didn't know Houston was considered friendlier. I hate Houston, but I'm told Houston and Dallas are exactly alike and people from each dislike the other. (The place, not the people).

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM

6,079 posts, read 8,874,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post

I think so. Dallas is full of spoiled rich brats that think they are entitled to everything they have ever received. In Forth Worth I didn't experience that. There's NORMAL people in FW. Houston has more hospitable people to me in general.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM

816 posts, read 1,534,723 times
Houston is much more friendlier than Dallas. That's all I can say and I'm only 90 miles from Dallas. These people think they're so much better than me because I live in a smaller city when they don't know who I am really.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 20,248,410 times
I just don't think one can make a valid comparison between Dallas and Houston. There are so many people in each that it all depends upon who one interacts with that gives an impression. I'm much more familiar with Dallas than I am with Houston, and there indeed are some pretentious and 'plastic' people there, but there are also some very good-hearted folks. The same is undoubtedly true of Houston, or any other large city.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM

410 posts, read 692,431 times
Houston is more friendly, in a hillbilly sort of way; kind of like how impreeding makes all cockiness dissapear. Houston kind of reminds me of my aunt's old dog; it was an pathetic, ugly thing - imagine a cross between an armadillo and a giant rat - but it was the friendliest creature. Though, I do recall being annoyed with the beast when it slobbered all over my Pierre Cardin ostrich boots; you know, similiar to how people from Houston behave when they see someone dressed in something other than Dickies and a greasy t-shirt.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas