Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM

380 posts, read 642,608 times

Advertisements

Why?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I think the state decided that it was better for handguns to be concealed, so that criminals wouldn't know whether their potential victims were armed or not. Therefore anyone might be. I don't know whwther it's a good idea or not, but that's the way it is.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Oh, I thought he was talking about beer bottles and cans..

Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
My first thought was open containers too. If that is the case, my question would be why the heck should it be?

We've already been there, done that and thanks to MADD and a little common sense this law was overturned.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:45 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to guns. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of them, though I support our right to arms, but it seems logical to me that if you are allowed to carry a gun you should be able to do so out in the open. I think I'd rather know if someone near me is armed, rather than have them hide it.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
KoT

103 posts, read 186,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think the state decided that it was better for handguns to be concealed, so that criminals wouldn't know whether their potential victims were armed or not. Therefore anyone might be. I don't know whwther it's a good idea or not, but that's the way it is.
This is right. Say an armed man (with a concealed gun) walks into a convenience store with the intent to rob it. He looks around and sees 2 people open carrying. He decides its probably best to take out the two people open carrying before robbing the place. That is why probably having only conceal carry is smart. If the two people were conceal carrying instead, they would still be alive to do something if they decided to, if the man robbed the store.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM

380 posts, read 642,608 times
I get the arguments, but I don't see a reason for the law to force "common sense."

If open carry is more dangerous to an individual than concealed carry, one should do so at one's own risk. Why must the state get involved?

Same thing with open carry of alcohol...I can cut myself off, thank you very much. As long as I don't get behind the wheel, am belligerent or otherwise do harm, whats the problem?

I am really disappointed by the shift from personal responsibility in our society. I thought we Texans didn't like being told what to do?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I agree in principle, but you must remember that some people don't have any concept of personal responsibility or common sense, which latter is increasingly uncommon.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
KoT

103 posts, read 186,530 times
lol

Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoT View Post
This is right. Say an armed man (with a concealed gun) walks into a convenience store with the intent to rob it. He looks around and sees 2 people open carrying. He decides its probably best to take out the two people open carrying before robbing the place. That is why probably having only conceal carry is smart. If the two people were conceal carrying instead, they would still be alive to do something if they decided to, if the man robbed the store.
There has been plenty of debate on the open carrying of firearms in Texas on numerous gun forums I frequent. Whereas I am not the biggest fan of it, currently there are 43 (yes, forty-three) states in which open carry (OC) is legal and yes, Texas is not one of them!

You also have to keep in mind that the Second Amendment of our Constitution gives all Americans (with exceptions) the right to keep and bear arms:

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
There are compelling arguments for and against open carry, and just to counter the one example you gave, a pro-OC individual would retort that in the same scenario the criminal may see the two armed, law-abiding citizens and decide it wasn't worth the risk of life to rob the store.

Honestly, in states that do allow OC there really haven't been any of the problems one would expect with it. Much like when concealed carry was introduced in Texas (after the Luby's massacre in Killeen), there were expectations of increased shootings and such which never materialized, and it would be the same with OC. At first there would be some adjustment period, but after a while most people would get used to it and little more would be made of the issue.

Lastly, there is no legal requirement for anyone with a concealed license to intervene in a robbery. They can do so under certain circumstances, but they are assuming a huge risk and major liability in doing so.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: