U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-05-2011, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
Smile Texas climate

I am thinking of moving to Texas but would like to know if anyone can tell me where i would find the best climate and where do you get the most value for your money as far as homes? I am looking for a ranch type property (at least 20 acres) somewhere that has a mild winter...very little or no snow. Any help would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Ton

5 posts, read 1,380 times
Fort Davis is fantastic for low humidity, but it does get hot. Easy to take with some shade though. Marfa and Alpine the same. Best thing I can say about Houston is it's better than New Orleans. Damning with faint praise. The Texas Hill Country is an awfully big area, with some wonderful spots, but humidity again is a concern. Much drier than Houston, much damper than the Big Bend area. For the coast, as another poster said, Corpus Christi is THE place. Still high humidity, but the ever present breeze does a lot to ameliorate the discomfort. And lots of fairly nice beach to wonder, from Port Aransas on the Northeast to Little Shell on the Southwest. Great fishing when I lived there, though that was thirty years ago.

Unread 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Ton

5 posts, read 1,380 times
Karen, If property is what you're looking for in addition to climate, the Big Bend area is IT for you. Land out there is SO CHEAP I won't even mention it here. Just go online and LOOK at prices for bare land. Water is the problem, but it CAN be gotten around. Be prepared to dig a pretty good well for your H2O, as well as a catchment system. Stick with the real estate companies around Alpine, and WATCH yourself. Talk to the locals before making a commitment, and go to the county courthouse YOURSELF to search deeds. For all that it's a pain, well worth it if you're looking for solitude.

Unread 03-02-2014, 12:03 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,298,694 times
I've lived in El Paso, Denton, Odessa, Huntsville, Rockport, Hereford and the Valley. I've also spent time in most of the major cities and other places.

Summer = Ft Davis has the lowest highs and not much humidity. El Paso lots of heat but no humidity - I actually like that. Rockport has an ocean breeze but its still hot.

Winter-- Thepart Valley has the warmest winters but I like Rockport because its warm enough -especially close to the water where the climate is tempered by the sw breezes. Many days in the high 60's.

-------------------

Parts of California have better weather than anything in Texas but they have other problems. The Canary Islands ( Off Africa) might have the best climate but its a really long commute to work here.

Unread 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM

4,208 posts, read 986,207 times
I would not recommend Lubbock and the panhandle for anyone looking for a good climate. Its only good on paper. In winter, we get a lot of up and down temperatures because of the winter fronts moving through. We also get some very cold days as it seems we get the cold air coming from the north and the Rockies. Spring winds are annoying and strong. Dust storms a common in the spring. The whole sky can turn a light brown and the sun even is dimmed. In summer the winds stop and the sun is pretty intense, so its dry, but its still 95-100 most days. I have lots of friends that have allergy problems out here, so beware. In fact, I've never known so many people at one time anyplace I've lived to have allergy problems and who have or are currently on the shots.

Unread 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM

813 posts, read 212,560 times
I think the Houston/Galveston Metro has one of the better climates in Texas, with Galveston specifically having the absolute best climate in Texas in my opinion.

First off, the region has plentiful rainfall compared to the rest of the state, 40+ to be exact, good for keeping the area lush, and green all year long. Summers in the region may be humid, but there is no problem with that, considering that many tropical resorts people like to vacation in are also humid as well. Temps can get above 90, but frequent summer thunderstorms with tropical style downpours, and cool breezes reduce the frequency of such temps compared to the rest of the state. And the thunderstorms, with their dramatic spectacular lightning, are fun to watch. And despite the large amounts of rain, the area STILL gets plentiful sunshine, not as much as the deserts, but still plentiful enough. And storms are rarely, if ever, severe.

Its only really summers that can ever be described as hot and muggy in Houston. Falls, Winters, and Springs, however, are gorgeous, and and very conducive to outdoor activities, except when it is raining. The Houston/Galveston region has warmer winters than anywhere else in the state, except for South Texas areas like Brownsville, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island, etc.

Galveston (along with the parts of Houston close to the ocean) take what I described, and go a step further into what is the absolute best climate of Texas in my opinion. The island has pretty much the smallest thermometer in the entire state. Whereas much of the state easily cracks the 90F range during summer, Galveston stays in the 80s, even during the heart of summer. (Fast Fact: With the exception of the highest peaks of the Texas mountains, Galveston has the coolest summers in the state.) Coupled with sea breezes, things remain fairly moderated during summer. In winter, the island is warmer than many people think; temps rarely fall below 40F, and the island can go years without ever freezing. The combination of moderate summers and moderate winters make Galveston the most moderate location in the state, which I like. The South Texas coastal areas come close, having warmer winters than Galveston, but the summers in those places reach well above 90, causing them to lose points.

Therefore, Galveston Island, with moderate summer AND winter temps, plentiful enough sunshine and rain, and sea breezes, is the best climate in the state, in my opinion. Such an overall moderate climate is a rarity in Texas.

Unread 03-04-2014, 02:25 PM

1,855 posts, read 1,670,587 times
Personally, Corpus and Houston have my favorite climates in Texas.I also like the climates of San Antone,the Hill Country, and San Angelo.I don't like the climate where I live (Midland).The heat and humidity are my favorites.

Unread 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM

8,874 posts, read 4,826,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
(Fast Fact: With the exception of the highest peaks of the Texas mountains, Galveston has the coolest summers in the state.) Coupled with sea breezes, things remain fairly moderated during summer. In winter, the island is warmer than many people think; temps rarely fall below 40F, and the island can go years without ever freezing. The combination of moderate summers and moderate winters make Galveston the most moderate location in the state, which I like. The South Texas coastal areas come close, having warmer winters than Galveston, but the summers in those places reach well above 90, causing them to lose points.

Therefore, Galveston Island, with moderate summer AND winter temps, plentiful enough sunshine and rain, and sea breezes, is the best climate in the state, in my opinion. Such an overall moderate climate is a rarity in Texas.
I think you're laying it on a little thick. Galveston technically records less extremes than Houston does, but, believe me: what the thermometer reads is different from what you actually feel. The island may not record as many below freezing temps, but the winters are hardly noticeably different from Houston's.

As for summer, when you factor in the humidity, which can bring the heat index well into the triple digits, I doubt most people would describe Galveston summers as moderate.

Unread 03-05-2014, 09:39 PM

813 posts, read 212,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think you're laying it on a little thick. Galveston technically records less extremes than Houston does, but, believe me: what the thermometer reads is different from what you actually feel. The island may not record as many below freezing temps, but the winters are hardly noticeably different from Houston's.

As for summer, when you factor in the humidity, which can bring the heat index well into the triple digits, I doubt most people would describe Galveston summers as moderate.
You will be amazed how signifigant the differences are between Houston and Galveston despite the short distance from each other. Houston has average winter lows in the low-mid 40 range, and records a little less than 6 freezes a year on average. But Galveston averages 50F for winters lows, and records less than one freeze a year; the island can go many years in a row without ever freezing. Its not to say that Houston has cold winters (not at all); its just that Galveston is quite warmer in the winter. The gulf waters really work wonders for Galveston.

Yes, summer humidity is present in Galveston; but it is also present in all the tropical/subtropical climates in the world. But still, temps stay in the 80s on the island for the most part, and sea breezes are there to help alleviate things. Sea breezes allow Corpus Christi, a hotter, and more humid locale than Galveston, to stay comfortable during summer.

Unread 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

8,874 posts, read 4,826,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You will be amazed how signifigant the differences are between Houston and Galveston despite the short distance from each other. Houston has average winter lows in the low-mid 40 range, and records a little less than 6 freezes a year on average. But Galveston averages 50F for winters lows, and records less than one freeze a year; the island can go many years in a row without ever freezing. Its not to say that Houston has cold winters (not at all); its just that Galveston is quite warmer in the winter. The gulf waters really work wonders for Galveston.

Yes, summer humidity is present in Galveston; but it is also present in all the tropical/subtropical climates in the world. But still, temps stay in the 80s on the island for the most part, and sea breezes are there to help alleviate things. Sea breezes allow Corpus Christi, a hotter, and more humid locale than Galveston, to stay comfortable during summer.
I was born and raised in this area. I know the climate very well. I doubt that you've actually experienced as many summers and winters on the island as I have, so that would explain why you don't comprehend what I'm telling you. I'm not saying there are no differences, I'm saying the differences are minuscule.

Your description of Galveston's summers was misleading. Period. I enjoy the humidity, but most people don't, and the level of humidity and heat that is still experienced on the island would make the summers very long and uncomfortable for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas