Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Lubbock, El Paso, and the Davis Mountains area (Alpine, Marfa, Ft. Davis) are considered to be the best. I'm partial to Lubbock for a number of reasons. All three areas have low humidity/dew points.
Lubbock can get cold, and it is one of the windiest cities in the country. It is cotton country, so when the fields are plowed up, you get dirt with the wind. There is a huge feedlot southeast of town which, when the wind is right, shares its odor with the entire city, regardless of the price of the neighborhood. Not at all in the class with Marfa, Alpine & Ft. Davis, which share the undisputed title of best climate. Marfa is close to 5,000 feet, as are its companion cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 05:33 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,944 times
El Paso is my favorite climate in the state. I like heat, but not humidity, and I like mild winters. I also don't like rain. Doesn't get much better than El Paso when it comes to weather.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjblaw View Post
Lubbock can get cold, and it is one of the windiest cities in the country. It is cotton country, so when the fields are plowed up, you get dirt with the wind. There is a huge feedlot southeast of town which, when the wind is right, shares its odor with the entire city, regardless of the price of the neighborhood. Not at all in the class with Marfa, Alpine & Ft. Davis, which share the undisputed title of best climate. Marfa is close to 5,000 feet, as are its companion cities.
In an average year, Lubbock is not much windier than the rest of the state. Duststorms happen 2-3 times a year, mainly in the spring. SE winds aren't very common for the most part--the prevailing wind is from the south. North and west winds are more common than anything from the east.

The Davis Mountains area is very far from civilization imo, so living there isn't for most people. Lubbock has a sizable airport, first class medical facilities, entertainment, sports, etc.

To me, a winter that isn't cold is depressing. I know that others might view things differently, but I don't like turning on the A/C in December.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:42 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,092 times
~

WHERE is the Davis mountains would you live ?

Is there a decent size town there ? Ft Davis ?

I've always heard that of all places in the USA
the best place to be in a nuclear attack on the US
is in the Davis Mountains.

~

Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Alpine is the largest town, but it's only about 7000 people. Fort Davis only has about 1200. Marfa is in between in size. So it depends on what you mean by "decent size".

Old 08-15-2010, 02:13 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis has the best climate in TX, IMO.
ITA. Hands down. Really pretty area, too.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 PM

You're right, it is really pretty. And its lack of big population centers is another plus, IMHO! I can take the heat there, since there is so little humidity, and the temperatures aren't extreme in any case. Got to love it!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I have read some interesting things about Marfa and the area in the past. Researching it a bit more today I found that Marfa is not youre average small town. There are a few interesting things I found. It all confirms that Marfa is a very interesting place.

Padre's Marfa Throughout the year they sponser several local events, including a halloween party and AUGUST 27-29 Padres sponsors the 2nd Annual MARFA JAZZ FESTIVAL!

The Chinati Foundation | La Fundación Chinati A large art museum and foundation sponsering local art programs and shows as well as shows by world renowned artists through out the year.

Quote:
The Chinati Foundation/La Fundación Chinati is a contemporary art museum based upon the ideas of its founder, Donald Judd. The specific intention of Chinati is to preserve and present to the public permanent large-scale installations by a limited number of artists. The emphasis is on works in which art and the surrounding landscape are inextricably linked.

The Chinati Foundation is located on 340 acres of land on the site of former Fort D.A. Russell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_D.A._Russell_(Texas) in Marfa, Texas. Construction and installation at the site began in 1979 with initial assistance from the Dia Art Foundation in New York. The Chinati Foundation opened to the public in 1986 as an independent, non-profit, publicly funded institution. Chinati was originally conceived to exhibit the work of Donald Judd, John Chamberlain and Dan Flavin. The collection was expanded and now includes 15 outdoor concrete works by Donald Judd, 100 aluminum works by Judd housed in two converted artillery sheds, 25 sculptures by John Chamberlain, an installation by Dan Flavin occupying six former army barracks, and works by Carl Andre, Ingólfur Arnarsson, Roni Horn, Ilya Kabakov, Richard Long, Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen, David Rabinowitch, and John Wesley. Each artist's work is installed in a separate building on the museum's grounds. Temporary exhibitions feature modern and contemporary art of diverse media.
From the wiki:

Quote:
The Chinati Foundation now occupies more than 10 buildings at the site and has on permanent exhibit work by Carl Andre, Ingólfur Arnarsson, John Chamberlain, Dan Flavin, Roni Horn, Ilya Kabakov, Richard Long, Claes Oldenburg, Coosje van Bruggen, John Wesley, and David Rabinowitch.
In recent years, a new wave of artists has moved to Marfa to live and work. As a result, new gallery spaces have opened in the downtown area. Furthermore, The Lannan Foundation has established a writers-in-residency program, a Marfa theater group has formed, and a multi-functional art space called Ballroom Marfa has begun to show art films, host musical performances, and exhibit other art installations.
Marfa has its own NPR affilated radio station: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRTS

Marfa is home to the mysterious Marfa Lights: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa_lights

Marfa is home to the Marfa Magazine: http://marfa-magazine.com/ With a readership of over 20,000! Amazing considering Marfa has a population of only about 2,100 people.

Prada Store in Marfa Texas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prada_Marfa Hilarious!

More about Marfa.

"Far Out Far West Texas". http://www.joenickp.com/texas/westtexas.html

http://marfatejas.wordpress.com/page/2/

Link to larger photo.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-15-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Good links! Marfa is a very interesting place, as are Alpine and Fort Davis. Sul Ross State in Alpine is very good little university (part of the TX State University System). All of these towns are within about 25 miles of one another and have a similar great climate.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

I have read some interesting things about Marfa and the area in the past. Researching it a bit more today I found that Marfa is not youre average small town. There are a few interesting things I found. It all confirms that Marfa is a very interesting place.

Marfa has its own NPR affilated radio station: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRTS

Marfa is home to the mysterious Marfa Lights: Marfa lights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marfa is home to the Marfa Magazine: Marfa Magazine With a readership of over 20,000! Amazing considering Marfa has a population of only about 2,100 people.

Link to larger photo.

The Marfa town square looks big for so small a population.
But maybe that's an optical illusion like the strange Marfa lights.

NPR ?

Maybe there are black ops in the area.

~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas