U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 944,805 times
Reputation: 586
~

Marfa is a strange little town.



I did a little digging on Marfa and found the following interesting information.

Seems Marfa's artist inclination may have began with German POWs...
but then, Hitler too was an artist.


One of the more weird explanations of the Marfa lights concerns
German POWs held at the Marfa Army Airfield who had escaped.


When I did a search for more info... I came across this:


" Even the German Luffwaffe has a presence here – several of its officers, serving time as World War II POW’s at Fort D.A. Russell’s Building 98, painted panoramic murals of the Marfa Plateau. "

Marfa, Texas Chamber of Commerce


"Building 98 is specifically known for the hauntingly beautiful murals painted during WWII by two German POW's of General Irwin Rommel's (The Desert Fox) elite Afrika Korps, who were billeted at Fort Russell after their defeat by General George Patton's Third Army in North Africa."

Marfa, Texas Chamber of Commerce (http://www.marfacc.com/art/foundations.php - broken link)



Photos of historical marker/building 98

Building 98, Fort D.A. Russell Marker



Photo of mural room in building 98

WetCanvas - View Single Post - Building 98 Mural Room






~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,806 posts, read 12,521,333 times
Reputation: 4708
You're making me want to take another trip out to Marfa/Alpine/Ft Davis even more! I love it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 944,805 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post

You're making me want to take another trip out to Marfa/Alpine/Ft Davis even more! I love it out there.

I was born in west Texas [Odessa] but haven't been out west for years.

Marfa's climate is as perfect as it gets.

Marfa's climate and Nazi murals would be my only attraction.

Unless there is something else to tempt me.

I checked real estate websites and what few houses are for sale are quite expensive
[compared to similar houses here in the Dallas area.]

So, maybe there is more to Marfa than meets the eye.



~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
7,850 posts, read 10,569,872 times
Reputation: 3649
There isn't that much available in any of the 3 places, so it's going to be more expensive. There does not seem to be much in the moderate ranges at all.

I've been disappointed with what I've researched online, and I'm probably going to plan a trip down sometime in September or October.

It may come down to having to build, but I really don't want to go down that road again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 944,805 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

There isn't that much available in any of the 3 places, so it's going to be more expensive. There does not seem to be much in the moderate ranges at all.

I've been disappointed with what I've researched online, and I'm probably going to plan a trip down sometime in September or October.

It may come down to having to build, but I really don't want to go down that road again.

In a town so small how easy/expensive would it be to build and furnish a house ?


~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
7,850 posts, read 10,569,872 times
Reputation: 3649
The cost of living in Alpine is surprisingly expensive. I don't know about Marfa or Fort Davis, but it would be my guess that they'd both be comparable to Alpine in COL, with the added expense of having to drive to Alpine/Midland/Odessa/Fort Stockton for some things.

I have not talked to any of the area builders yet, so I don't know.....but I suppose I'll find out if I cannot find what I want otherwise. I would most likely choose Alpine to avoid so much driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 944,805 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

The cost of living in Alpine is surprisingly expensive. I don't know about Marfa or Fort Davis, but it would be my guess that they'd both be comparable to Alpine in COL, with the added expense of having to drive to Alpine/Midland/Odessa/Fort Stockton for some things.

I have not talked to any of the area builders yet, so I don't know.....but I suppose I'll find out if I cannot find what I want otherwise. I would most likely choose Alpine to avoid so much driving.
Let us know how the search goes.

You hit on another point... living in small town west Texas requires a lot of driving just for necessities.

Me, I've been spoiled by the big city. The older I get the less I like to drive long distances.

According to the CoC website there is only one grocery store in Alpine... not sure if there is any in Marfa ??

Without competition, prices would be higher.


~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
7,850 posts, read 10,569,872 times
Reputation: 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Let us know how the search goes.

You hit on another point... living in small town west Texas requires a lot of driving just for necessities.

Me, I've been spoiled by the big city. The older I get the less I like to drive long distances.


~
I hear that. Midland is not comparable in size to Dallas, but for a city of 100K+, it offers a LOT, and I never needed to drive anywhere for anything I needed.

Alpine is going to be a different story. I will be making periodic trips to Midland from time to time, but at least I know where everything is, so that's not a huge deal-breaker for me.

I'll just have to learn to plan ahead, and realize that not everything is just up the street or across town any more. Whether I want to do this badly enough to live in Alpine remains to be seen.

I'll keep you posted....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top