Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 287,290 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose to live in either Amarillo or Lubbock... which would you choose and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:59 PM

15,435 posts, read 10,354,303 times
Lubbock because of the location, hospital, university, friendly people, less crime, shopping and it's less transient than Amarillo.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,711,518 times
Lubbock for the same reasons as elan.
I personally also just like the looks of Lubbock better.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:56 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,989,081 times
Lubbock...I went to Texas Tech and I love college football...you do the math!....LOL. But anyway, besides being able to go to Tech football games I still like Lubbock a little better overall. My brother lived in the Amarillo area for a while so I'm familiar with both cities. It just seems like there's more to do in Lubbock (more restaurants, shopping, etc.) Amarillo is a nice town too but it's even farther away from the other major Texas cities than Lubbock is. Both are similarly windy and dusty most of the time and a little colder in the winters than cities in the rest of the state.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,215,245 times
We have lived in both towns, 5 years in each. I found Lubbock to be a better choice for us - the weather is not as cold, it's not as 'rough and tumble' a town as Amarillo, -I felt much safer there, it's more family friendly, more activities and entertainment, better restaurants, better shopping, a good medical district, and, overall, has a more attractive appearance to it.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,241,735 times
Lubbock cuz of warmer climate more church of Christ people,TTU,closer to friends and family.Also dating would be better.I am actually thinking of moving to Lubbock.Also nicer cleaner and less gritty town and Krispy Kreme.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:37 AM

160 posts, read 193,189 times
Lubbock hands down. Cleaner, University, better shopping/restaurants/bars, hospitals, and closer to DFW.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 AM

1,809 posts, read 1,395,704 times
Amarillo. I grew up west of Amarillo, and it was the big city to which we went shopping every six weeks or so. Spent a fair amount of time in Lubbock, university and military related, and visiting relatives. They're both nice, but I just prefer Amarillo.

It's in the Panhandle, up on the High Plains, at high altitude (above 3600 feet above sea level). Drive northeast or west a couple hours, and you're in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Lubbock is closer to other Texas cities, but Amarillo is closer to Denver, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Kansas City, etc. All depends on your perspective there.

Not being surrounded by cotton fields, Amarillo is far less prone to dust storms than is Lubbock.

Your allergies, if you have any, may be an issue in either location. Here are some agriculture reports that might help. I gave you Potter and Randall Counties, because Amarillo is in both.

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Public...as/cp48303.pdf

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Public...as/cp48375.pdf

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Public...as/cp48381.pdf

Amarillo has a huge medical presence, including the area's veterans medical center (Lubbock has an outpatient clinic). Excellent flying weather 350+ days each year. Rarely snows, an occasional ice storm (folks just stay home until the next day, when it melts). I've always found the weather to be lovely year-round.

It's in Tornado Alley, but so is Lubbock. Neither city has been hit in recent decades. Do not let fear of tornados dissuade you from living anywhere in the Panhandle (or Lubbock).

Amarillo is on I-40 (historic Route 66). Lubbock has no major interstate -- I-27 is really just a widened state highway, only going between Lubbock and Amarillo. The roads in both areas are excellent. Both cities have international airports. Neither have passenger railroad service.

Both cities are friendly. Both have universities, either right in town, Texas Tech (Lubbock) or in the adjoining town (Canyon), West Texas A&M. Amarillo is set to gain Texas Tech's budding veterinary school, which will focus on . Tech has a medical school, with a campus in Amarillo, too. Many of its students get clinical experience in the Amarillo medical centers. Amarillo has a junior college; Lubbock has two, I think. Western Texas College is in Snyder; Wayland Baptist University is in Plainview. Tech and WTAM have very active online degree programs.

Lubbock has a Costco. Amarillo does not. Both have Sam's Clubs and super Walmarts. Both have upscale shopping. Both have Harley-Davidson dealers. Lots of great roads to ride outside each city.

Both have Camping Worlds. If your RV needs work, Rodfather's in Amarillo is the best there is. My cousin in Lubbock is increasingly unhappy with available RV service there.

Amarillo and Canyon have some really amazing museums. Palo Duro State Park, the second largest canyon in the USA, is just east of Canyon. Lubbock has some really unusual museums, such as (my favorite) the windmill museum. Both have really dynamic arts centers.

Some more details about both areas:

https://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/The...=48&county=303

https://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/The...=48&county=375

https://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/The...=48&county=381

And the site where I found these links:
Texas County Profiles

Really, you need to spend a fair amount of time in each city. Read both cities' newspapers to get a feel for local issues and politics. Talk to current residents. Get off the main roads and drive around town.

Good luck.

Last edited by Arkay66; 12-04-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Amarillo. I grew up west of Amarillo, and it was the big city to which we went shopping every six weeks or so. Spent a fair amount of time in Lubbock, university and military related, and visiting relatives. They're both nice, but I just prefer Amarillo.

It's in the Panhandle, up on the High Plains, at high altitude (above 3600 feet above sea level). Drive northeast or west a couple hours, and you're in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Lubbock is closer to other Texas cities, but Amarillo is closer to Denver, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Kansas City, etc. All depends on your perspective there.

Not being surrounded by cotton fields, Amarillo is far less prone to dust storms than is Lubbock.

Your allergies, if you have any, may be an issue in either location. Here are some agriculture reports that might help. I gave you Potter and Randall Counties, because Amarillo is in both.

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Public...as/cp48303.pdf

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Public...as/cp48375.pdf

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Public...as/cp48381.pdf

Amarillo has a huge medical presence, including the area's veterans medical center (Lubbock has an outpatient clinic). Excellent flying weather 350+ days each year. Rarely snows, an occasional ice storm (folks just stay home until the next day, when it melts). I've always found the weather to be lovely year-round.

It's in Tornado Alley, but so is Lubbock. Neither city has been hit in recent decades. Do not let fear of tornados dissuade you from living anywhere in the Panhandle (or Lubbock).

Amarillo is on I-40 (historic Route 66). Lubbock has no major interstate -- I-27 is really just a widened state highway, only going between Lubbock and Amarillo. The roads in both areas are excellent. Both cities have international airports. Neither have passenger railroad service.

Both cities are friendly. Both have universities, either right in town, Texas Tech (Lubbock) or in the adjoining town (Canyon), West Texas A&M. Amarillo is set to gain Texas Tech's budding veterinary school, which will focus on . Tech has a medical school, with a campus in Amarillo, too. Many of its students get clinical experience in the Amarillo medical centers. Amarillo has a junior college; Lubbock has two, I think. Western Texas College is in Snyder; Wayland Baptist University is in Plainview. Tech and WTAM have very active online degree programs.

Lubbock has a Costco. Amarillo does not. Both have Sam's Clubs and super Walmarts. Both have upscale shopping. Both have Harley-Davidson dealers. Lots of great roads to ride outside each city.

Both have Camping Worlds. If your RV needs work, Rodfather's in Amarillo is the best there is. My cousin in Lubbock is increasingly unhappy with available RV service there.

Amarillo and Canyon have some really amazing museums. Palo Duro State Park, the second largest canyon in the USA, is just east of Canyon. Lubbock has some really unusual museums, such as (my favorite) the windmill museum. Both have really dynamic arts centers.

Some more details about both areas:

https://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/The...=48&county=303

https://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/The...=48&county=375

https://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/The...=48&county=381

And the site where I found these links:
Texas County Profiles

Really, you need to spend a fair amount of time in each city. Read both cities' newspapers to get a feel for local issues and politics. Talk to current residents. Get off the main roads and drive around town.

Good luck.

I think you explained it exactly as I would.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:30 AM

748 posts, read 1,470,033 times
All very valid points made previously. I have spent the last 35 years living in and around both Lubbock and Amarillo.

Let's cover jobs.

If you are looking for white collar jobs, Lubbock is hands down the choice.
Blue collar jobs, Amarillo is the choice.

Both have mid-size city crime problems, both have access to large city problems, but most importantly both offer family oriented living. I personally don't think either would be a bad choice. The wife and I will likely move from Amarillo area BACK to Lubbock in a couple of years, but it is mainly due to aging family in the Lubbock area, as well as the fact the grandkids live there.

But we have very much enjoyed living in both places, and the decision to move back is not set in stone. In fact it is still up in the air, because we really like where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas