Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 PM

18 posts, read 34,451 times

Advertisements

hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in TX, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,000,335 times
Andre and Jazmine,
I highly doubt you'll have any problem in Texas. I live in Abilene and we have lots of inter-racial couples here; ditto in most of the larger cities in Texas. No one bats an eye. If you do get any curious looks, it will probably be because of your accents and people will be enthralled!

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Julie

Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,289,179 times
People in Texas couldn't care less about who is married to who. They might ask you about NZ. Actually, there are quite a few Kiwis living here.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,866,733 times
I think you will have absolutely zero problems in Texas. Don't know your route to Florida, but won't that take you through Lousiana, Mississipi, and Alabama? I doubt any problems in those states, but I'm just curious why you would be worried about TX over those other states...

Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,373,429 times
exactly what i was thinking!
yeah, i have lived in the "deep South" (MISSISSIPPI) and also spent alot of time in Louisiana and Alabama.....and Texas would be waaaaaaaaay behind those states in terms of possible "problems". i am willing to bet that the klan presence is much stronger in those states. i have never seen as much racism as i did when i lived in Mississippi (both ways-whites vs blacks, blacks vs whites), and the rebel flag flew everywhere (NOT to say that the rebel flag/confederate flag necessarily stands for racism so dont make this into a thread about that issue-it's been beat down long enough).
well to answer the OP's question, i don't think you will have any problem in Texas...if anywhere, maybe some backwoods East Texas town way off major thoroughfares? heck i dont know........
have fun on your journey!!! let us know how it went!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think you will have absolutely zero problems in Texas. Don't know your route to Florida, but won't that take you through Lousiana, Mississipi, and Alabama? I doubt any problems in those states, but I'm just curious why you would be worried about TX over those other states...

Old 06-16-2007, 09:11 PM

136 posts, read 620,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_nz View Post
hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in TX, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine

You have posted this same question on the City-Data Forum sites for Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, and I'm sure you've upset a few people by suggesting their beloved State is still in the dark ages of racial hatred. I notice you left out Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Florida. Why the distinction? After all, they have people in them, too. The South has its history, but its people are civilized. I suggest if you are so worried about being ill met all the way to Florida, you should just take a plane.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 PM

18 posts, read 34,451 times
im looking forward to texas the most, i posted in those states 2...are there really kiwis living in Texas??!!?? had no idea

Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 PM

506 posts, read 2,147,952 times
Nobody will think anything about you and/or your friend except perhaps an interest in your accent, which I find wonderful to hear. I worked with a guy from New Zealand for many years and he was a great guy - and he loves living in Texas. Your concerns are a non-issue. Have a safe trip!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:07 PM

126 posts, read 453,945 times
Your question, posted on just about every southern state board, implies you feel the South is so uncivilized that we have vigilante groups roaming the streets assaulting strangers. With that attitude, I'm surprised that you want to visit. It's a funny thing about expectations; sometimes we attract what we most fear.

The South has a "few" pockets of civilization. I think you'll be surprised. Your roadtrip is covering some amazing places and you're going to meet friendly, helpful people all along the way. You're planning a wonderful trip. Please focus on the great time you're going to have.

Please let us know where ya'll are planning to visit. We can help with suggested places to check out.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,900,154 times
I have to echo kt2le's thoughts. You'll be fine just fine. Have a wonderful trip and may your journey be loads of fun. I hope you and your friend meet tons of nice people along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas