Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 AM

12 posts, read 71,441 times

Advertisements

I will possibly be moving to Killeen this summer and I was wondering about the general area. I have of course heard all of the terrible things about it from people that have never lived there, but looking on this site I have found that the crime index is about 100 points lower than the city I am in currently (I am in the outskirts, but many people have recommended jobs within the city), with every category being lower except for arson (I'll take my chances there). From experience living there, how is the safety? Also, how is the town in general? I've only visited.

What are good areas to live in? I would possibly be working in what I guess is the northeast part of the city, north of Rancier.

Any input (good or bad) is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 893,490 times
I lived in Killeen from 1998-2002. I've visited a few times since then, and there have been several changes. I'll try to give some kind of input

Most of the crime I remember was property or domestic. I keep seeing reports of high murder rates and lots of violent crime, but I don't remember it being THAT bad.

Where you're coming from will determine how you'll like it. I came from a large city, so I was (am) not a big fan. If you're coming from a small or mid-sized city, you may find it acceptable. There are plenty of restaurants along 190, and they just build an outdoor shopping center in Harker Heights. If you get bored, Austin is about an hour away, and you're fairly close to DFW, Houston, and San Antonio (3-4 hours).

As far as where to live, I'll leave that to someone who currently lives there, as several new neighborhoods have been created.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,653,088 times
I'd live south of 190. Many apartments north of 190 are in higher crime areas. Everything in Killeen focuses on Ft. Hood and much of the population is young soldiers who come for just a few years.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,605,549 times
like k_s said, whether you like it or not may depend on where you come from and even what you would like in a city/town. i personally hate it here but it's fitting for some (my family loves it). i think the crime isnt bad here at all, it's a fairly safe town. as far as neighborhoods, i think anywhere south of hwy190 is that much safer, newer, but possibly a little more expensive, especially the apartments. the apartment prices north of the hwy average around 400, while south they range between high 700's to high 900's. a lot of developments are happening in the southern most parts of killeen. we have a small waterpark here and we're not too far from the main cities. good luck with your move and you just may be one of the very few who will love it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas