U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 37,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance is getting transferred to Toledo for work and I am going to go to transfer to BGSU for school (I am in my mid-twenties, and needed a career). I have been reading a lot of the threads that have been posted and I am hoping I could get some help from the locals on where the nice areas of Toledo are. Now when I was searching on different Real Estate website's they section the city of Toledo off into different Sub-categories I would say since Toledo is such a huge city to begin with.

We are from a quite town in Michigan, where nothing ever happens pretty much. This will be our first home, so we are looking to buy low and sell high (hopefully ) and we hope to live in it for a while. Maybe even raise a child. We want a nice safe neighborhood where we can take a walk around the block and not worry about anything happening, park the care in the driveway and not have to worry about anyone messing with it. We live about 25 minutes away from Detroit right now, so I know how bad the ghetto can be.

I was hoping you guys could help me out with the area's of Toledo (which are safe and which ones are not so safe). Now I have seen (on trulia.com) a lot of houses I like in the DeVeaux (43613), Five Points (43612), Whitmer-Trilby (43613), Southside (43609), Reynolds-Corners (43615), Franklin Park (43623), Birmingham (43605).

I hope this isn't confusing, if it is please let me know and I will try to clarify.

Thank you for all your help,

Lindsay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM

154 posts, read 550,151 times
West Toledo, the suburbs, and southern Michigan are your best bets. The other areas of Toledo aren't as nice. The suburbs like Ottawa Hills, Sylvania, Perrysburg, Rossford, Maumee, and Holland are good places to look. In Michigan, Temperance and Lambertville are good.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for responding and your help. We live in Michigan now and I personally do not want to drive 40 minutes to get to Bowling Green's Campus, that's why we want to move to Toledo. What would West Toledo's (zip codes or city-part names be?). I looked in southern MI but there were no houses within our price range that were move-in ready.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM

546 posts, read 736,022 times
My husband is renting an apartment in the 43615 zip code. His neighborhood (off of Elmer Drive) is very safe and walkable, but I don't know about purchase prices.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM

227 posts, read 560,659 times
I am quite happy with my neighborhood, Harvard Terrace (South Toledo, 43614). Very walkable, very friendly... harvardterracetol.exofire.net Beverly is also a neighborhood (South Toledo 43614) close to here that is very pedestrian friendly, but a more suburban look. There is nothing in Toledo that compares to the tracts of urban decay and crime in Detroit. The commute from South Toledo to BG isn't bad; I just finished up my Master's degree last year there.

I would not care to make any assurances about the future of the real estate market, but I can assure you that the prices are really low and barring things like nuclear warfare etc, I would anticipate only upward movement from here, but I have been surprised before.

Perhaps if you tell us more about what you are looking for in a neighborhood, we can help find the perfect fit. There are a lot of neighborhoods and burbs to choose from and each one has their own personality.

People will argue with me on this point, but I find that most younger educated people that move to Toledo Metro move to the neighborhoods within Toledo, rather than the suburbs, which seem to attract more of a baby-boomer crowd.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 AM

What do we want in a neighborhood.... hmm... we would like a family type neighborhood, we don't need to be able to walk to restaurants and shops, we can drive there that is not a problem. We want to stay in the range of $75,000.00 and below because I am in school full time and we are living off of one income. The reason we would rather buy a house then rent an apartment is because the real estate market is a buyer's market so why not? and apartment living has too many rules (you can't have this kind of dog because he is portrayed as mean and violent). We love to be outside, so a neighborhood with streets that are nice to walk through. I guess we act a lot older than we are, we don't go to bars, and drink, we don't party or do things of that nature. We are getting married next year so our first house will be a big thing for us, and since he will be getting transferred this is the perfect opportunity.

I have searched for houses in our price range in Perrysburg, Oregon, Maumee... etc, and it seems that we can get a much better looking, bigger house in Toledo. I had worked in Detroit as an EMT so I know how bad crime and violence are there. Toledo is no where near as bad as Detroit, that's why it seemed like such a shocker when the first person who responded suggested searching in the suburbs instead of the city. Now I would never live in any part of Detroit because all of it is so run down and dangerous, but is Toledo the same way?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:50 PM

6,495 posts, read 11,244,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwinter829 View Post
I have searched for houses in our price range in Perrysburg, Oregon, Maumee... etc, and it seems that we can get a much better looking, bigger house in Toledo. I had worked in Detroit as an EMT so I know how bad crime and violence are there. Toledo is no where near as bad as Detroit, that's why it seemed like such a shocker when the first person who responded suggested searching in the suburbs instead of the city. Now I would never live in any part of Detroit because all of it is so run down and dangerous, but is Toledo the same way?

Thanks for all of your help!!!
No, Toledo is not the same way, despite what some may think. Toledo proper still has a lot of well-maintained quality neighborhoods. That said, as one of you will be commuting to BG for school, I wouldn't totally abandon the idea of either Maumee or Perrysburg, especially if you guys have or plan to have children. Maumee especially has some well-establishsed neighborhoods. But if you insist on living in the Toledo city limits, there are nice neighborhoods near and along the Anthony Wayne Trail that would mean not too bad of a commute to BG. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 PM

154 posts, read 550,151 times
West Toledo is about the best area of Toledo, arguably. Stay away from central Toledo, the area north of downtown 'the projects' and the east side is no great shakes.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM

227 posts, read 560,659 times
Home for sale, 1839 Princeton, Toledo, OH 43614. Single-Family Residential - Wellesbowen.com

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

50 posts, read 279,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnytimeAnywhere View Post
West Toledo, the suburbs, and southern Michigan are your best bets. The other areas of Toledo aren't as nice. The suburbs like Ottawa Hills, Sylvania, Perrysburg, Rossford, Maumee, and Holland are good places to look. In Michigan, Temperance and Lambertville are good.
I agree with you, these are good choices for houses. If you want something in the country, you can drive ten minutes outside of Toledo and be in farm country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or