Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 10,769 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning on moving to Toledo, OH for a practical nursing school. I'm terrified because I'll be alone and I'm completely clueless about OH let alone any specific area. The school is on 1530 N Superior Street Toledo, OH 43604 so I'd like to be close but if the area is bad I don't mind a 20-30 min drive.

PLz help me someone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM

227 posts, read 626,339 times
Most people would probably think of the residential area immediately around 1530 Superior to be pretty blighted. Are you looking to rent or buy? What features would you like in your next neighborhood?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
I dont recommend that you stay in the immediate neighborhood. Especially if youre someone whos "terrified because youll be alone". This neighborhood is ghetto for the most part. Youre not gonna find any decent housing options immediately nearby. And if you do, youll still have sketchy neighbors.

If youre only gonna be in the area for a definite amount of time...like less than 4 years, im assuming youll probably just rent, in which case, my first recommendation would be living downtown. Theres plenty of apartments downtown. Many arent exactly cheap but theres some that are still affordable and theyre pretty cool too. The immediate Downtown area is relatively safe, just dont be walking around in the dead of the night by yourself but thats common sense. You'll have lots of bars, clubs, restaurants, sports, and entertainment within walking distance of you downtown. And the school youre talking about on N. Superior is basically off of Summit St. which runs right through downtown. Youre school is probably no more than a 5 min drive away.

If youre not into living a downtown lifestyle...and would prefer a refuge in the suburbs, you might consider Oregon, which is to the East but not too far away. Still probably not anymore than a 20 min drive. You just hop on 280, cross the river, and get off right by your school.

Any of the neighborhoods directly surrounding your school are pretty rough and most people would consider them the ghetto, besides Downtown.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
Most people would probably think of the residential area immediately around 1530 Superior to be pretty blighted. Are you looking to rent or buy? What features would you like in your next neighborhood?

Just looking to rent. I just want a good police response and not to be in the ghetto... I'm from Detroit so I do want to be in the same situation that I'll be leaving.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Thank you guys so much!! I'll definitely check into the downtown area. You dont know how much this has helped me

Old 12-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzMia View Post
Just looking to rent. I just want a good police response and not to be in the ghetto... I'm from Detroit so I do want to be in the same situation that I'll be leaving.
You will be pleasantly surprised how not-Detroit Toledo is... the worst parts of Toledo are boringly safe in comparison to Detroit... not that I don't love the urban angst of Detroit, but that is for another time.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
If you haven't relocated yet, I'd suggest checking out several apartment complexes in Oregon. I'd stay away from one that I believe used to be called Oregon Arms and may still be. There was a fair amount of crime the residents there dealt with from the neighborhoods behind the apartment complex back in the 90's when I still lived in East Toledo.

Also, I have to respectfully disagree with the person who suggested downtown might be a good place to live. I worked downtown for several years during the 90's and it wasn't always the safest place to walk around during lunchbreaks, let alone during evening time. I realize things may have changed somewhat since then, but I doubt the problem with some of the homeless with mental conditions has improved. And there were incidents I know of where women I worked with were accosted by groups of young men downtown. I just don't think it's the safest or most logical place to live, even though you'd be close to school. You'd also need to cross the river into east Toledo or drive into Oregon to do most of your shopping. And as I recall in the decent apartments downtown rent was very high.

I grew up in East Toledo, and after 8 and a half years came back to the city because my parents were aging and needed assistance at times. I ended up moving to the northwest side of town because that's where they live. Very glad I don't have to travel downtown, or in that direction, simply because every summer there seems to be a whole lot of construction slowing traffic down getting from one side of the city to the other. And even without construction I've never liked the drive across town.

I'd probably stay away from places in East Toledo as well.

Hope it works out for you...Jeff

Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Also, I have to respectfully disagree with the person who suggested downtown might be a good place to live. I worked downtown for several years during the 90's and it wasn't always the safest place to walk around during lunchbreaks, let alone during evening time. I realize things may have changed somewhat since then, but I doubt the problem with some of the homeless with mental conditions has improved. And there were incidents I know of where women I worked with were accosted by groups of young men downtown. I just don't think it's the safest or most logical place to live, even though you'd be close to school. You'd also need to cross the river into east Toledo or drive into Oregon to do most of your shopping. And as I recall in the decent apartments downtown rent was very high.

I have to disagree. I mean theres certain givens with a transitional downtown environment like Toledos, like....perhaps if youre afraid of being accosted by someone, you might not want to walk by yourself at 3am down a desolate street, but for the most part its fine. Ive known plenty of people, female included, who love living downtown and have had no problems with safety. And as far as prices go, you can find decent rates if you just search around. I found a one bedroom on Adams St, by Manhattans for 400 dollars and I thought it was quite nice and big on character for a little apartment. I know you can find some good rates in places like the Hillcrest and Riverfront Apartments....less than 600 a month im thinking. You have to consider the fact that downtowns been on the upswing since the 90s. Downtown isnt for everyone though, im aware.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 AM

The downtown Toledo of 2011 has very little in common... very-very little in common with the downtown of the 1990s... It doesn't even look like the downtown of 2006 (when I moved here). It was virtually a ghost town then, except for the lines of people on Summit St with bottles in paper bags (It seems as though the summit st high rise apartment complex has changed a lot in recent years.) Now it is really starting to look like a real urban center and there are countless new developments on the horizon. When I win the lottery, I am so investing in downtown.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
When I win the lottery, I am so investing in downtown.

ME TOO! Ill go in on some projects with you when I win!

I want to buy a huge chunk of the uptown area... like somewhere between Mercy College and the Library in those blocks. Rehab and develop some of it myself, and for the rest....ill be able to divy out the land and buildings to developers of my choice who I trust to do the right thing with them. Ill declare my new initiative the "War on Parking Lots"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo