Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM

30 posts, read 66,723 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Toledo Febuary 1, 2011, we hope to rent something not to expensive until we find a permanent place hopefully no longer than a year. Can anyone give me information on North, South, East, and west Toledo. We would like an area that is diverse, fairly safe and clean.We understand crime is everywhere, however we want to avoid areas where there is drug trafficing, gangs and lots of crime. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has a decent rental property that has been kept up and will be avaliable in feburary let me know. We would even consider a hotel or motel for a couple of weeks until your rental became avalible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 04:57 PM

154 posts, read 605,836 times
I can't help you with choosing an apartment, but the west end and southern Michigan area, along with the suburbs are the best places to look. Stay away from the central city. It would be about the worst area of town.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:37 PM

Could you give me some of the cross streets in these areas? Do you know anything about the Beverly drive area or the Harvard Terrace area?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarron View Post
Could you give me some of the cross streets in these areas? Do you know anything about the Beverly drive area or the Harvard Terrace area?

Thanks

These are both good areas of south Toledo that arent too expensive but are pretty nice and safe. I dont know a whole lot about the rental options down there but I know theres apartments if you look for them. I also dont know how set on "diversity" you are, because I dont really feel like that occurs in abundance in any area around here, but anywhere in Toledo for the most part seems diverse to me. I mean you encounter people of all races and religions, everywhere. The suburbs are a different story. Theyre more homogenous.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
Both are clean, pedestrian friendly, and close to grocery stores etc. I will take note of any owner-advertised rentals in these areas and post them... One can usually find one or two. I currently live in Harvard Terrace and enjoy many of the features like being able to walk to the river and the arts and crafts features of my home.

Quote:

Thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 23,195 times
I don't like Toledo

Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys any information is greatly appreciated...To persons with negative comments please keep them to yourself.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
If you're transferring for a job, I'd consider moving fairly close to where the job will be. Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I do not like the drive across town, from east (East Toledo and Oregon) to the west side of town. If you or your husband will be working in downtown Toledo, I'd consider the town of Oregon, for example. I agree about SE Michigan being a good option.

I live in the northwest side of town and feel safe in most areas around here, but absolutely hate the red-light cameras which this side of town has too many of. As far as I'm concerned one is too many, but there are several right around my area and hate always having to worry about them. And I'm not a redlight runner, but still hate the extra stress they cause. $120 per ticket, and some of the cameras also will give you a ticket for speeding. Makes a person not want to live or drive in the city limits if they can help it.

I'd stay away from the central city, as I think has already been suggested. I grew up on the east side of town, and some of the areas there can be rough as well. I haven't spent time on the south end but believe at least some of those neighborhoods are bad as well. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the south end can give you advice.

Hope that helps some. Jeff

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
Quote:
Thanks guys any information is greatly appreciated...To persons with negative comments please keep them to yourself.
I am really proud of the Toledo forum... it used to only be negative Toledo-hating, but now it is starting to show a more balanced picture of the city's high and low points. There is still an occasional "I hate Toledo... I moved out of there as soon as I could in 1985 and haven't been back... and anyone that wants to live there is a moron" comments.

Honestly, if you are okay with the Midwestern weather and don't need to live in a huge city... metro-Toledo is a great place for you. You would be surprised how much culture there is here...

Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
We recently moved to Sylvania Township near the botanical gardens and find the area safe, reasonably diverse, and convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo