U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 PM

374 posts, read 700,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
there CANNOT be an entertainment part of downtown when the last 3 mayors have repeatedly tried to dismantle the club scene between adams and monroe. so with the new rinky dink arena being built, about 3 clubs were bulldozed, and another 10 have completely closed up......take a lesson from columbus and do it right.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who saw that... I remember coming back to Toledo one summer and hanging out with some friends on that very same corner and I thought to myself, wow Toledo actually has a nightlife... It was beautiful we would go from one bar to the next, and the next and later across the street to another one. I even remember a guy with a hot dog cart going around selling hot dogs. Then the next year the city said they were going to build the new arena on that same block... And now its dead again except for when there's an event at the arena...

Let's not forget that bridge they recently built... I read an article in the Blade a few years back that said the money from that bridge could of went to a light rail... I just recently came back from a trip to Norfolk, VA and they have a light rail going right through downtown... Its actually working out well there.... I personally feel you wouldn't needed to have taken trips to China if people knew how to work with what they already have, but to each his own I live in Chicago now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 AM

180 posts, read 181,658 times
Technically UpTown news, but I'd throw them in the same basket really - UpTown Signature Park will be getting the grant money they were hoping for to do all the work necessary to make the park. I think this is great news, because the thriving arts community there should be viewed as a huge positive for Toledo. I think there's a trifecta that can really help Toledo moving forward, with Downtown, Uptown, and the Old West End.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM

622 posts, read 870,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
So what, besides building too "rinky dink" of an arena should Toledo have done? Don't get me wrong, I love the Nationwide Center/Huntington Park/Arena District. I just fail to see what's wrong with the Huntington Center. I think its location is absolutely fine. They could of created more capacity if they built on a less crowded site but that was the whole point. It creates the little trifecta of Huntington Center - Seagate Center - Fifth Third Field that was desired. HC is located perfectly to stimulate development in some of the awesome, truly urban, buildings in the downtown core (CBD). I'll admit that the arenas magnetism hasn't panned out as hoped yet but its only been there for a couple years. I think the key to getting restaurants and bars to succeed will be to have the relatively more stable Warehouse District (specifically Pizza Papalis, Table 44, and The Blarney) develop towards the Arena so there's a walkable continuity of dining and entertainment options between the two venues.

too many local things make it hard for the city to make real money. huntington center? uh....yea they got screweed there because the arena literally gives about 500 seats to huntington every event and full use of luxury boxes. pepsi center maybe?

also.....the size of the arena..... bob seger played two shows here.....both of them together dont equal one show at the joe attendance wise. build it twice the size and im very sure seger still would have sold out both shows. and guess what? tickets prices go down if the venue is larger.

doing things the toledo way bankrupts people......and thats why no one does business here. like the arena took double what it should have cose because they used local labor.

having all country concerts is not helping either. the other problem is the fact they dont want to tear down vacant buildings to make way for the future. if you go downtown, u could see how much bigger the arena could have been if they woulda torn down the bank next door.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM

180 posts, read 181,658 times
That bank is a gorgeous building. I'm glad they didn't tear it down. Look at the beautiful buildings we lost through the 70's and 80's when we followed your philosophy and just tore things down when we liked the location better for something new. Now we're left looking back saying "wow, we screwed up."

And seriously, you're criticizing the arena for playing too many country concerts? You really need to just step away from the keyboard and stop trying to find something to complain about. I'm not a fan of country music, at all, but the arena has been extremely successful. As long as they're selling out as often as they are, who cares what kind of music they're attracting?

And in regards to the area not developing the way we'd all hoped, I guess we just have to be patient. Toledo is a weird city about its downtown. Quite an anomaly really. Most other cities see their downtown as the focal point of their area, but in Toledo, we have a huge amount of detractors that see it as a waste of time to try to revitalize. Big projects like the baseball stadium and hockey arena have gone a very long way toward changing that opinion. I think as projects like the Triangle Building (Standart Lofts) and Fiberglas Tower continue to progress, we'll finally start to see leaps and bounds in terms of everyday activity down there.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,856,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
the other problem is the fact they dont want to tear down vacant buildings to make way for the future. if you go downtown, u could see how much bigger the arena could have been if they woulda torn down the bank next door.
If Toledo tears down its historic buildings and urbanity, there won't be a future. The whole point of restoring downtown is to bring back an urban, walkable city center, not create more parking lots. Downtown Toledo isn't supposed to resemble a Maumee strip mall.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 AM

2,554 posts, read 3,815,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
That bank is a gorgeous building. I'm glad they didn't tear it down. Look at the beautiful buildings we lost through the 70's and 80's when we followed your philosophy and just tore things down when we liked the location better for something new. Now we're left looking back saying "wow, we screwed up."

And seriously, you're criticizing the arena for playing too many country concerts? You really need to just step away from the keyboard and stop trying to find something to complain about. I'm not a fan of country music, at all, but the arena has been extremely successful. As long as they're selling out as often as they are, who cares what kind of music they're attracting?

And in regards to the area not developing the way we'd all hoped, I guess we just have to be patient. Toledo is a weird city about its downtown. Quite an anomaly really. Most other cities see their downtown as the focal point of their area, but in Toledo, we have a huge amount of detractors that see it as a waste of time to try to revitalize. Big projects like the baseball stadium and hockey arena have gone a very long way toward changing that opinion. I think as projects like the Triangle Building (Standart Lofts) and Fiberglas Tower continue to progress, we'll finally start to see leaps and bounds in terms of everyday activity down there.
Toledo already has the bones, they just need to build off of that... and guess what, they are. Investment rolls in, buildings are getting renovated, new residents are moving in. Toledo has a world class art museum and zoo. Toledo is a city in transition. Good things take time. Once things really start to develop, everything will really take off. I just want Toledo to get away from the Michigan mentality of doing things... that's a start. Just saying.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
Technically UpTown news, but I'd throw them in the same basket really - UpTown Signature Park will be getting the grant money they were hoping for to do all the work necessary to make the park. I think this is great news, because the thriving arts community there should be viewed as a huge positive for Toledo. I think there's a trifecta that can really help Toledo moving forward, with Downtown, Uptown, and the Old West End.
Do you know the name of that big project the University of Toledo started this year? It was mixed use I believe.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM

678 posts, read 739,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Do you know the name of that big project the University of Toledo started this year? It was mixed use I believe.
The Gateway Project? At the corner of Secor and Dorr.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
The Gateway Project? At the corner of Secor and Dorr.
That's it. They had restaurants, bookstores, and I think apartments?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM

678 posts, read 739,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
That's it. They had restaurants, bookstores, and I think apartments?

Yeah a Barnes and Noble will be the anchor store. I guess former UT quarterback Bruce Gradkowski is gonna be partnering with the owners of Arnies to open a sports bar. I think there's supposed to be a bank, Starbucks, and maybe a nicer restaurant. There's supposed to be 40 something apartments. I think its a good start. The areas all clear and fenced off ready to go.

I just hope they can do a good job of developing other adjacent properties so that it actually feels like a real neighborhood. I wish they could've made the taco bell more streetfront/pedestrian oriented instead of sprawling it out sideways down Dorr St, wasting valuable space. It seems like they attempted mixed use design across the street where subway is but its completely architecturally insignificant.

Does anyone know anything about the cleared properties on the south side of Dorr, between Secor and Byrne. It looks prime for some additional mixed use development. It would be great if they redeveloped the whole stretch of Dorr between Byrne and Douglas. With increased pedestrian movement in the area, they should narrow and slow down traffic as well. I often see people barreling down Dorr going like 60 mph. Thats gonna end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo