U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM

227 posts, read 370,478 times

Advertisements

The Short North (Columbus: High Street between Victorian Village and Italian Village) used to be the LGBT hub, but now the rents are sky high and LGBT establishments are being replaced with bourgeois martini bars. If I hadn't been visiting periodically, I would have had a surprise had I gone up to any of the old establishments expecting to get a cup of coffee... Just a few years ago Italian Village (still talking about Columbus) was still considered blighted (I was told never to walk on the East side of High Street).... Bohemian at best... now if you see a house for under 300k it is probably wrecked. The garages in Italian Village are worth more then the houses in the Old West End... FOR NOW... let me tell you... these things happen quickly... one day we will all wake up and find the the Old West End is unaffordable. I have seen it happen in both Cleveland (Ohio City, Termont...) and Columbus (German Village, Italian Village...) and find it hard to believe that Toledo is immune.

Last edited by ryansmith; 03-31-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: haven't had enough coffee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM

389 posts, read 618,222 times
We're having similar problems here in Dayton and I think Dayton and Toledo are similar in some ways so I'd like to tell you about our problems and what has worked here in the gem city. Maybe we could learn frome eachother? I'm on the Downtown Dayton Partnership which is a 501c3 non profit organization pushing attraction to Downtown Dayton, Ohio. We have a downtown plan and place that is being implimented and let me tell you that already the city is finding out what is going to happen and what won't and or just can't until other things get in place. it's all about taking the right steps. Alot of people want tot hrow a whole bunch of luxury condos downtown and expect growth. But that doesn't bring growth...it just brings exactly what you put there. The growth strategizing has to come from a local viepoint and a community effort to build up the city at a reasonably exciting rate. It all begins with identifying what you want to do now, in the next two years, in the next five, and long term. It's amazing how well this works. It really is the answer to urban blight. Dayton ahs tried since the 80s to transform the downtown but people kept going out to the suburbs like Vandalia, Beavercreek, Centerville, and even the ones near Cincinnati-Dayton area. I have to say the first part of getting it work is convincing a certain group of people that want the city to grow that the suburbs are inevitably going to grow. We live in the U.S. and thats the trend. But you can curb that and create interest in an urban core because if the downtown grows the suburbs aren't going to die. Really like the previous poster said is that you want to take advantage of cheap and artsy and abnormal. Lady Gaga once said "weird is good for the economy." She is right. It is. LGBT, Artsy, and Out-of-the-Box districts don't normally exist in the suburbs, and that is why it thrives in a city. it's a place where those people can congregate and get involved. So what Dayton has done that has already been a huge success is take buildings like the Cannery, the St. Clair, and alot of old warehouses and give em the basics into what they need to be residential. It's true. The younger crowd is attracted to the idea of living downtown, not the idea of a luxury loft. Dayton has the Oregon District, the Gay Loop, and the University Place to vouch for this. Its all young people. We've done good at that, and we're beginning to attract wealthier but still yuppie folks in the South Park, McPherson Town, and Grafton Hill areas. I think that is very true. More proof in this is the fact that the Schuster Center lofts were buillt and sold at 990,000 in 2001. They didn't sell out until 2009. The Schuster Center itself is a world class performing arts venue but the lofts just didn't sell. They have finally begun to sell because the downtown population creeped up with the young artsy folks. But I think what we learned is that you can't just throw in a few nice high rises in a hell hole. You have to soften the hell hole. Make it more purgatory, then slowly creep towards an urban oasis.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 PM

180 posts, read 190,311 times
I really like the things Dayton has been doing to revitalize their downtown. There is certainly a lot for Toledo to learn there. I think Toledo has been moving in the right direction, though. Getting people downtown, regardless of who they are, is good. The more people live downtown, the more options there will be, and the ball will roll.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM

626 posts, read 933,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
I really like the things Dayton has been doing to revitalize their downtown. There is certainly a lot for Toledo to learn there. I think Toledo has been moving in the right direction, though. Getting people downtown, regardless of who they are, is good. The more people live downtown, the more options there will be, and the ball will roll.

the only thing i dont like about downtown is that theres no jobs and theres no place to buy groceries. learn from columbus ohio's downtown.it'd be a great model

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM

180 posts, read 190,311 times
100% in agreement here. I'm actually pushing The Andersons or Churchills to look at some locations in downtown. It'll obviously be up to them to make that call, but I think even a small corner grocer would be a huge step in getting downtown to progress.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 PM

682 posts, read 780,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
100% in agreement here. I'm actually pushing The Andersons or Churchills to look at some locations in downtown. It'll obviously be up to them to make that call, but I think even a small corner grocer would be a huge step in getting downtown to progress.

For sure. Attracting something like a Trader Joes or Whole Foods would really get the ball rolling for people moving downtown but I suppose were probably not in their league yet. Thats fine though. Like you said, maybe Andersons or Churchills would look into it. Maybe a store like that Andersons Market out on Sylvania and King....but downtown?

Heck, even a legit CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid would help out with getting people the basic essentials of life downtown.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
For sure. Attracting something like a Trader Joes or Whole Foods would really get the ball rolling for people moving downtown but I suppose were probably not in their league yet. Thats fine though. Like you said, maybe Andersons or Churchills would look into it. Maybe a store like that Andersons Market out on Sylvania and King....but downtown?

Heck, even a legit CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid would help out with getting people the basic essentials of life downtown.

theres a rite aid downtown but it closes at like 7pm. and the closest grocery store is across the street from it and its not the cheapest place. if toledo would ever get serious about making downtown safe 24/7 and making it a virtual city by itself, i'd move down there. but instead theres alot of "disability inclined" luxury apartments. substitute disability with drug problem and you'll find out what kind of people live there for next to nothing.

kroger is in cahoots withs a bunch of different chains across the US so they could put food 4 less, ralph's or anything down there and make a world of difference.

and dude, you might be my new best friend for mentioning trader joe's that was the coolest place ever back home in cali.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 PM

682 posts, read 780,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
theres a rite aid downtown but it closes at like 7pm. and the closest grocery store is across the street from it and its not the cheapest place.

If you're talking about the Rite Aid and Seaway at Bancroft & Cherry, thats not really close enough to downtown for downtown dwellers.

There needs to be groceries right downtown.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
If you're talking about the Rite Aid and Seaway at Bancroft & Cherry, thats not really close enough to downtown for downtown dwellers.

There needs to be groceries right downtown.

yea i know that, but good luck finding space for it with all the buildings not in use,but no one wants to sell. the perfect spot would be closer to summit and jefferson where the beige looking skyscraper sits.....un used. or maybe where the erie street market is? if they start building stores downtown, that'll force the crime out.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM

389 posts, read 618,222 times
Dayton has a opened a food co-op run by the city called 2nd Street Market that has attracted alot of residential investment. But its only open on Thursday and Saturday mornings. What they are doing now is allowing the culinary department of Sinclair Community College to have a part of the old Arcade building and open a grocery this fall. There is alot of local farmers getting in on this and its being encouraged by an uptick in local produce. There is even an all local gluten free restaurant called Olive opening up downtown, too. I think this would be a good model for Toledo. Why not get University of Toledo involved in creating a school run but public downtown grocerer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo