Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 AM

180 posts, read 341,567 times

Advertisements

City Council has backed down from their position, and hopefully it isn't too late. They were demanding two stipulations be put into the deed that have never been asked of anyone in this town. A) any work done at any point on the property has to be union labor. B) if significant work (51% completion) hasn't been done within 2 years, the city gets to buy the property back ($3.8M purchase price plus whatever amount of the $200M planned has been completed) for $2M. So if they've only put in $90M after two years, Toledo can have it for $2M. Take a look at the deals we give other developers: interest free loans, multiple tax free years, etc. When we finally have someone coming to the table who wants to spend their own money and not rely soley on public funding, we screw them.
And one of the city councilmen said something about requiring this because they're "protecting the Toledo tax payer." How is preventing $200M from being invested in my city helping me? That's $200M that won't be pumped into our local economy. That's a $200M entertainment spot that won't be bringing in any money now. That's a vacant strip of land that has sat unused for generations, and will apparently continue to do so. How can Toledo claim to be even remotely pro-business when it does things like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Mayor Bell blames City Council and Toledoans
He blames City Council, but I haven't seen him blame any Toledoans. From the response I've heard, I think most Toledoans agree with the Mayor on this one. I just can't help but think "you don't look a gift horse in the mouth" on this one. When somebody says "hey, I'd like to spend $200M of my own money in your city," you say "thank you, when can you start?"

Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
When somebody says "hey, I'd like to spend $200M of my own money in your city," you say "thank you, when can you start?"

When someone says "I'd like to spend my 200 dollars on your precious downtown riverfront property" I say, "Splendid we have this really great master plan for that property that befits Toledo in the best way possible, please adhere to it and we will support you 100%.

Sorry. I still am angry that the city doesn't seek out developers of the highest standard who will use this land in the most efficient and progressive way possible. I do not want a lifestyle center on the riverfront in East Toledo.

I want a Marina District, not a Marina Mall.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

I agree with you, but there's gotta be flexibility. If we were Chicago, we could say "here's what we'd like to see, now go do it," but we're not. Beggars can't be choosers, and the people who want to put serious amounts of money at risk in our city are few and far between. We may have a general goal for what we'd like to see downtown, but the long and short of it is that they're the ones with the money. In a city like Chicago, they can hold out for the next developer to come along and build what the city is looking for. In Toledo, it's been 15 years or more since this project started, and nothing has happened.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM

It's like grocery stores. I've been trying to push a grocer to open in downtown, but for the most part, they don't even want to entertain the possibility. Everyone knows it's a necessary step for downtown's growth, but everyone also knows that downtown Toledo is a big risk.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,499 times
this is toledo we speak of. they think the way they do things is second to none and if they havent done it before, then no one has. case in the point that marvelous bridge carty wanted so bad, u know......the one that took 5 years to build and cost 5 lives....... learn from bigger cities and see how they do certain things and they'll be ok. look no further than cosi closing here.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:43 PM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
City council keeps Marina District sale on agenda | 13abc.com (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=8082553 - broken link)

Looks like a deal could still be struck! I like what JOhio said, "beggars can't be choosers." We cannot afford to be choosey with our high unemployment rate and should be glad that this opportunity has presented itself.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM

32 posts, read 92,157 times
The only thing is Toledo is not very friendly I rather spend my 3million some place else the next buyer will do the same thing it does it matter it's never going to happen.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasfanforever View Post
The only thing is Toledo is not very friendly I rather spend my 3million some place else the next buyer will do the same thing it does it matter it's never going to happen.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. Between the local government and the public utility monopolies, Toledo is a very unattractive place for a business to... well, to do business. Took Edison three weeks to come look at a place I was working on, and when the guy got there he realized he'd mapped out the wrong block. "This isn't my area, I'll have to make a call," he says, and it was another few weeks before the correct guy made it out. After we got it all squared away, they said it would be 10 days max to complete the hookup. It ended up being five weeks. In all, it took just over three months for them to do something that required two days of actual work.

That's a big reason why I just have to laugh when the city tries pinning the build-speed clause onto the deed. All they'd have to do is drag their feet (along with the utilities companies, from whom their are no alternatives) to make sure the development doesn't reach the required level of completion by the time the mandated two years is up, and poof! The city can have it back!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM

32 posts, read 92,157 times
I don't think people are lining up to buy that land and dashing group will tell people don't do buiness in Toledo it's going to effect other buyers know no one will want the land I think it's an eye sore.Again in Vegas they just build and go big and no red tape crap take ten years to get around it like in Toledo,They just do it here in Vegas since I lived here there's all ways building something new and different Toledo will be left behind just saying.Again I hear what's goes on in Toledo not coming back any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo