Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,862 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I am originally a Michigander and presently reside in TEXAS (in CAPS because everyone knows, EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas - haha). Anyway, I have recently inherited a 1.5-story, 3Br-2Ba home on Islington St. 43610 from a recently deceased relative who resided in the OWE. Other than the address and having knowledge that the property taxes are current, I know absolutely nothing about this area other than the demographic information available online and Google Earth.

From Goodle Earth, I can tell the property is closest to a manufacturing plant and towards the railway, under I75.

Could someone answer a couple of basic questions?

1) Assuming the house is "average, for the area" does anyone have any idea of what type of area I might expect, if I decided to make the trip?

2) Considering the declining home values in the US, is there any chance this area was immune to this decline?

3) Are there any prospects for this area?

4) Plainly speaking, is this house most likely a "stud or a dud"?

Amy insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,077 times
terrible area honestly. im just being blunt

Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,862 times
Thanks Ace...i sincerely appreciate the honesty in your response.

If i could trouble you further; would "crime" be the biggest factor in your analysis?

Islington St., or the OWE is general?

Could i be better served arranging donating the property to the local parish instead of making unnecessary trips to Toledo?

Please don't be bashful, or hold back. I'm a Michigander, remember. (Lol)

Thanks, again. Best regards.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
terrible area honestly. im just being blunt

Im going to dissect this sentiment. I dont disagree though...

The Old West End varies GREATLY in safety, quality, etc. It varies block to block, so unless you know the neighborhood literally like the back of your hand, you dont know if youre exact block is awesome or terrible.

In my opinion, most of the "wood" streets, are completely safe, and full of beautiful homes, with upstanding citizens...from Monroe St to Bancroft, for sure. Even going north up any of these streets past Bancroft, its still mostly beautiful homes and the like, but you start seeing some lesser houses, some in relative disrepair sprinkled in, but its still really nice. Traveling north, by the time I hit Delaware Ave, I become more apprehensive towards the safety of the neighborhood, you start seeing more and more houses in disrepair, but its still about an even mix of nice homes and blah homes. In my personal opinion, you start seeing some sketchy people, in numbers, past Delaware. By the time I hit Islington, I feel like the neighborhoods becoming more ghetto that it is nice. Its still not BAD yet though.
***A major point though is to remember it literally matters what block your on. I would suspect if your house is on Islington, and is farther to the west, like closer to Detroit, its gonna be rough, pretty much ghetto. On Islington around Collingwood, Parkwood, Scottwood...probably not so bad. And across Collingwood, around Fulton and Cherry it might get kinda harry again.***

So if you or some one you know is going to move here or something, expect crime. To not expect crime would be ignorant. I doubt youll encounter much physically violent crime ever (as im guessing youll have minimal interaction with thug types)...but I would consider burglaries or thefts a realistic possibility and potential concern. I personally, a 24 year old male, would not be afraid to live on Islington, as long as I had a large dog or something. Going much farther north from Islington, towards Central Ave, and your for sure in the ghetto then, and even I would not care to live there.

Ill answer your questions as you asked them.

1.) I just decribed the area in terms of safety. Visually, im not sure what block youre house is on so I cant be for sure, but the area around Islington still has a decent amount of nice homes around.

2.) I would say the Old West End in general is pretty solid in standing strong against declining values. I dont pay attention to real estate prices or anything so I couldnt say for sure, but its a desirable neighborhood, especially the blocks further south, closer to the Art Museum. Im sure the values of houses up by Islington have dropped for sure, especially if there in close proximity to the ghetto, but....

3.) I definitely think there are future prospects for the Old West End ubdoubtedly, and even for your precise area, I believe. Theres definitely a gradual trend of urban infill in Toledo, and people are becoming interested in buying properties in these areas. The Old West End is probably the nicest, most culturally rich, historic residential neighborhood in the city. Its only going to become more popular. Even though your house is up on Islington, I think the demand for great old homes is going to climb and people will push further up into the rougher sections of the OWE, and when that time comes, you could probably fetch a decent amount for the home. However I cant tell you when that time will be. If its not for another 10 to 15 years, you might not be able to wait that long. It could happen in 5 though.

4.) You ask if its a "stud or a dud". Are you asking if its a solid quality home? Hard telling. I dont know which house it is. The 1.5 story indication seems strange for the neighborhood. I would think it would be at least 2 stories but whatever. If its old though im guessing its built like a rock. And if youre asking whether itll be desirable in the market, my initial guess, for the present, 2011, is probably not super desirable yet. But it REALLY depends on the house. And like I said, I think theres DEFINITE potential in the not to distant future. You should definitely come up here sometime though and investigate on your own.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM

227 posts, read 626,090 times
I am a huge fan of the Old West End and own property there. If you want to donate the property, you can donate it to me.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,753 times
You know what the only thing i don't like about the Old West End is. There's not much of anything in the way of cool places to eat, drink, or shop within a short walking distance of any given area. The Adams St area would be the closest I think. I associate it with the same OWE personality. I'm surprised more businesses havent sprung up on the far edge of the uptown area, closer to Collingwood.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dymonhed View Post
Thanks Ace...i sincerely appreciate the honesty in your response.

If i could trouble you further; would "crime" be the biggest factor in your analysis?

Islington St., or the OWE is general?

Could i be better served arranging donating the property to the local parish instead of making unnecessary trips to Toledo?

Please don't be bashful, or hold back. I'm a Michigander, remember. (Lol)

Thanks, again. Best regards.
anytime, lol. i grew up one main street over from collingwood so i've seen the area enough.

islington, rockingham, detroit,fulton, any of the "wood" streets. nebraska and that side of town is bad. there are SMALL bright spots where i know people who keep their property in near museum condition but once u go off their block it turns back into a bad area. theres been a few shootings the last 6 months and a couple of deaths in that immediate area.

but if u go donw central avenue and get to about monroe, it changes alot.

while its not detroit off 7 mile, its not too far behind if the police dont really clamp down on crime in that area. if people cared about their property, theres houses that could be sold in the 7 figure range in the old west end.

i'd try to sell it, as the city decides that churches are part of toledo so they get public money which isnt right by any stretch.

if you're gonna have any problem in that area, it'd be a break in. we had 1 and nearly two but the idiot thought he could sneak around an alarm beam.....

Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 AM

227 posts, read 626,090 times
You are not the only one to complain about that... that is actually on my short list of things to do when I get rich... open a restaurant/ hangout for the neighborhood.

I had a vacant property in the OWE for years and the worst crime I knew of was the neighbor occasionally encroaching on my driveway.

As most regulars on here know... I am a Realtor. If you don't like the neighborhood, it is well worth your while to sell the property... but, again, I am happy to accept property donations in that neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 10,135 times
Lived in Toledo for years, son was born there, my daughter is currently going to college there and lived on that street. I loved the Old West End. Since my son and grandchildren are moving back there I am also thinking of moving back to Toledo from FL (lower cost of living). I will be in Toledo the first week of June and if you still want to donate it, Ha Ha, or rent it or even sell it (rent to own) let me know. I live on Veterans disabilitiy, so my income is stable, if not much, let me know. I'll check the post every couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo