U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,168,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
I wouldn't dream of living in a suburb, especially in Metro Toledo. In many cities the average home buyer can't afford to live near the city center... in Toledo you can.

Here is how I would but it. Baby-boomers overwhelmingly prefer suburbs. Gen X is half and half. The younger generation, whatever it is called, overwhelmingly hate the suburbs. I am on the cusp of X and Next.
Living in the suburbs of Toledo isn't nearly as undesirable to me as it would be in other metros. It's so easy to get all around the region, and there really isn't traffic due to our lack of a major employment center, so commuting isn't made all that much worse by living in the suburbs. Indeed, it is actually a shorter commute for many people to live in the suburbs. Our major corporations are pretty spread out, and even the largest employer, UT, is on the border with Ottawa Hills.

I would still give the city proper the edge, but it's less of an edge than I would give the city proper in other metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 AM

483 posts, read 526,199 times
Compared to Detroit, Toledo holds a far larger portion of its metro area (both in terms of land area and population) than Detroit (or Chicago, or Cleveland) does, and there are desirable, safe neighborhoods within the city limits, some of them built in the 1970s or even 1980s.
The dominant shopping center (Westfield Franklin Park) is in the city proper, and the area around it has a suburban feel. I believe I have read that parts of Toledo were annexed as recently as the late 1960's (can't confirm).
Not all of Toledo is in the same school district. People pay a premium for homes in the Washington Local district in comparison to those in TPS.
That being said, the weaker tax base from the poorer neighborhoods and the loss of so much manufacturing does place some "drag" on these nice neighborhoods, so consider this when negotiating for the price of a home.
One quirk about Toledo is its East Side. Only that area east of the Maumee River is considered East Side, and it is far smaller than the area west of the River. By the river, the East is low-income, but diverse (nobody looks like an "outsider"), a few blocks further out, the suburb of Oregon is quite livable. If you can find work downtown, you could be in bicycle range of suburban or even exurban living in the afternoon shadow of downtown!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM

442 posts, read 1,198,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Is the city of Toledo considered a desirable place to live compared to the suburbs, or are the suburbs mostly preferred? I'm asking because I know that there are cities in the midwest/rust belt where it is almost unheard of for people with money to actually live within city limits (Detroit). Has Toledo avoided this at all? Is it still considered mainstream to live in the city? Or do people look at the city as a crumbling ghetto. Are the nice areas of the city, such as Old West End, Downtown, and Old Orchard (based on what I have heard), desirable places to live, or are they mostly inhabited by urban pioneer types?
It seems to me that "upscale urban" is mostly confined to the coastal cities, plus Chicago, IMHO.

If you have a few bucks, and can choose between living in a concrete jungle, or having your own tranquil little piece of heaven, what would you choose? That's just my opinion though.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM

180 posts, read 186,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
It seems to me that "upscale urban" is mostly confined to the coastal cities, plus Chicago, IMHO.

If you have a few bucks, and can choose between living in a concrete jungle, or having your own tranquil little piece of heaven, what would you choose? That's just my opinion though.
Now, Toledo is just turning the corner for this, but for cities who have developed their urban environments, you can look at the other side of that same coin. You can live in a boring place where nothing happens and you can't walk to anywhere you'd want to go. Or you can live in an exciting social place where you can walk to any dining, drinking, shopping, or entertainment option you'd like. What would you choose?

It's all about how you look at it, much like climate. 90 degrees is paradise to some, hell to others.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,168,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
Now, Toledo is just turning the corner for this, but for cities who have developed their urban environments, you can look at the other side of that same coin. You can live in a boring place where nothing happens and you can't walk to anywhere you'd want to go. Or you can live in an exciting social place where you can walk to any dining, drinking, shopping, or entertainment option you'd like. What would you choose?

It's all about how you look at it, much like climate. 90 degrees is paradise to some, hell to others.
Only downtown has really turned the corner in the area of walkability. Most neighborhoods in Toledo are not very walkable, other than in the sense that they have sidewalks. At best you'll have a park, a convenience store, and something like the zoo or the art museum. What's further unfortunate is that a lof of the more blighted areas are actually more well suited to becoming a walkable neighborhood. Take the corner of South and Broadway, given the resources and neighborhood support, that whole corridor could be a great little business district.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Only downtown has really turned the corner in the area of walkability. Most neighborhoods in Toledo are not very walkable, other than in the sense that they have sidewalks. At best you'll have a park, a convenience store, and something like the zoo or the art museum. What's further unfortunate is that a lof of the more blighted areas are actually more well suited to becoming a walkable neighborhood. Take the corner of South and Broadway, given the resources and neighborhood support, that whole corridor could be a great little business district.
When he said "upscale urban" and "concrete jungle," I think (and responded as such) he was referring to downtown itself.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM

But you're right about other areas not being able to offer that. And in mentioning the art museum, I think the Old West End is #2 on my list of wants for this city. First is the redevelopment of downtown. I love the direction it's moving in, but there's still a lot of work to be done before it's the bustling cultural epicenter it should be. Second would be the return to glory of the OWE. Gorgeous houses, all right on the cusp of downtown, with a world class art museum right in its neighborhood. It's the perfect middle-ground for those who want the urban life of downtown living, while still getting to have the home ownership aspect.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 AM

679 posts, read 762,143 times
I think Toledo is definitely on it's way to becoming more "upscale urban." We have a long, long way to go til were in the same league as the big cities, but were making strides. Downtown is mostly the only place making these strides but downtown should obviously be number one priority so it's all good.

After Downtown, key areas that I would love to see develop or redevelop next are....

- Old West End
- Old South End
- Vistula
- Polish Village
- Five Points
- Deveaux

Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 AM

442 posts, read 1,198,700 times
Quote:

I'm by my nature, a lazy bastard, so I prefer on-site parking, in an attached garage, to either having to park 200 feet away, or take transit and lug 90 pounds of groceries to my home with 2 kids. My wife works late so often I'm the one picking up from daycare, etc. I also would rather have my kids play in the grass out back than on concrete next to a wall covered in graffiti.

Now for childless couples or singles, urban life can be enticing, but even when I was young, single, and free, I was still had a more quiet suburban or rural lifestyle, prefering bonfires to shots at the bar, and birds chirping to the sound of traffic.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 AM

679 posts, read 762,143 times
Quote:
90 degrees is hell to this guy.

I grew up in rural Fulton County and once I was 18 I hightailed it for Toledo (the big city ) There are things that are cool about the suburbs or country but, for me, nothing beats having amenities, recreation, entertainment within walking or biking distance and being able to easily interact with people in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo