Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM

374 posts, read 1,123,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
You make some great points. I agree with the consensus that Toledo is not as bad as Flint, however that's not saying much, right? What city is as bad as Flint or Detroit? I will say that Flint is doing a good job of revitalizing their downtown. The recent restoration of the long abandoned Durant Hotel is an excellent example!

I think the comparison of Toledo to Buffalo is appropriate. Both cities are facing the same problems. Dare I say that, employment rate aside, Toledo might be doing better than Buffalo?

Toledo isn't going to be popular among people who prefer Austin or the sunbelt. Toledo is a dense, urban, historic city (compared to the sunbelt cities). It needs to market itself as such, and appeal to people who like cities with those qualities. Toledo is not a huge city, but it is dense, urban, and historic, and should be trying to attract the same kind of people who find Pittsburgh or St. Louis appealing (admittedly, there aren't enough people who do).

The main problem Toledo has is jobs. There is the perception that there are no jobs or opportunities in the area. How much weight does this perception hold? Is the job situation as ghastly as most people believe? Certainly, the cost of living is low.
Yeah, comparing Toledo or any rust-belt city to Austin is unfair especially when the last time I was in Fort Worth I was watching the news channel that showed local news throughout the state and I saw a news report that said Austin was expected to add 3000 jobs by 2012 or something of that nature. 3000 in a recession???? Thats unreal. However, I do agree with you about comparing Toledo to Buffalo, thats more accurate. I also did hear about Flint's downtown being revitalized, but when I was there last it looked comparable to a small ghost town in the middle of nowhere. Im glad Flint is building more in its downtown. Thats a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM

6,603 posts, read 8,957,292 times
Bureau of Labor Statistics - Toledo

For comparison Bureau of Labor - Pittsburgh, Austin, and Buffalo

Even as recently as January Toledo's unemployment rate was above 11%, and it's still at 9.3% in May, the most recent statistic. Meanwhile Pittsburgh, Austin, and Buffalo are at 6.9%, 6.7%, and 7.5% respectively.

It also is important to look at what kind of jobs people have, since Toledo's median household income is just $32K (according to city-data). For example, Toledo's Financial sector employment has been steadily declining (though at a slower rate than Buffalo). Pittsburgh's and Austin's are increasing. The fastest growing sectors in Toledo are Construction and Manufacturing. That is good because construction and manufacturing are both where Toledo has its roots, and they offer many entry level jobs. At the same time, it is not good to see how poorly Toledo is performing in some areas. For example the Information sector only has 3,200 jobs in Toledo, while in Pittsburgh and Austin there are 18,100 and 19,000. That is not entirely due to population differences, though. And it is an especially bad sign when one of the greatest strengths of Toledo is UT and UTMC. Toledo has more than half the number of jobs in the Education sector that Austin has, yet much fewer people in total population. There are a ton of students going to Toledo, but there aren't enough white and gold collar jobs to keep them around.

Another issue is that the proximity to Detroit has caused a relative lack of big name corporate headquarters (which also hurts the downtown, incidentally).

Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 AM

374 posts, read 1,123,073 times
[quote=ferrarisnowday;19915193
Another issue is that the proximity to Detroit has caused a relative lack of big name corporate headquarters (which also hurts the downtown, incidentally).[/QUOTE]

I always wondered if Toledo being close to Detroit actually did more damage than good. I know many of you are about tired of Forbes best cities ratings, but here's another one I just read in the Blade.

Metro Toledo drops to 178th on Forbes list - Toledo Blade

Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
after leaving this area and living in the charlotte region for a good while....then coming back to a beautiful, high potential area and realizing sadly that it is deeplly rooted in small minded corruption,poor management, too much political infighting, no phlilanthropy,{except maybe the poor old block corporation} poor visionaries......{ except for a small few that have a tremendously grueling uphill battle to try and make this place an highly attractive area for some decent growth and positive financial consequences} its absotutely incredible that its been 5 years since i have arrived and almost NOTHING has changed!!!! Everyone here knows whats needs to be done to get the ball moving ....its like a black swamp fog that puts the whole area in a dream like state absolutely no execution.... it takes years of arguing and palnniing and still nothing until sheer desperation sets in and out comes the really stupid mistakes... talk about brain drain!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
As you can see by numbers. people prefer to live in Toledo. Great local scene, bike paths, parks in every neighborhood, and a big art scene. As a local clothing company puts on their shirts, "Boring People Hate Toledo". We also have lots of theaters. My wife and I can walk to the zoo, 3 parks, 2 local coffee houses an art gallery, 2 ice cream shops, a meat market, and so much more in under 10 minutes! Drew Carry often refers to Toledo in his shows as being a great little city!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 AM

555 posts, read 890,466 times
I am getting to "try on" living in Toledo this year (if five months in a place can be considered living there) and find that the city itself (we are between Old Orchard and Hampton Park) is livable and walkable (and yes, I have crossed Central and Secor many times--the light gives enough time for even the relatively slow to cross safely). Admittedly, I don't know all the neighborhoods (have walked a lot in the botanical gardens and Wildwood areas, parts of Sylvania, much of West Toledo, and am discovering Harvard Terrace and Beverly), but given the charming and decently-priced housing stock in what seem to be perfectly safe, close-in neighborhoods with amenities like libraries, restaurants, and interesting food markets, this boomer would not be at all attracted to the suburbs unless they have something truly spectacular to offer.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM

896 posts, read 1,849,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
.......but given the charming and decently-priced housing stock in what seem to be perfectly safe, close-in neighborhoods with amenities like libraries, restaurants, and interesting food markets, this boomer would not be at all attracted to the suburbs unless they have something truly spectacular to offer.

I think this describes my neighborhood well, Library Village. While the more central neighborhoods experience more crime, you're right about what they have to offer. We have a beautiful old iconic library that's basically the centerpiece of the neighborhood and its namesake. Most of the homes around here are 1920s era and are desirable. The fact that many are for sale, often foreclosed upon, isn't a good thing but should the neighborhood start prospering, there will be an attractive housing stock available. And we still have good restaurants like the well known Mancys Steakhouse, and unique food options like the Toledo Food Co-Op for good local organic foods. Neighborhoods like mine have the bones to build upon to become thriving little urban centers, we just need to be noticed and then invested in.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 16,506 times
Default Is city park safe

Looking at a mobile home here, is the area o.k?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,292,287 times
Are you talking about City Park off of the Anthony Wayne Trail near I-75? If so, that is a very rough area and not very safe at all.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 PM

896 posts, read 1,849,442 times
Yeah it you're talking about City Park Ave, that's a really bad area. That's like the eye of the hurricane, in all seriousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo