Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Old Orchard the neighborhood across Bancroft from campus. It's bound by Bancroft, Central, Secor, and Douglas. There's not gonna be much in the way of rental options in the neighborhood though. It's mostly nice old houses. Theres lots of apartments around Central though.

The Old West End is basically the triangle made by Detroit, Collingwood, and Monroe. It's the coolest neighborhood, with the greatest old houses, and a great sense of community, but the OWE varies vastly when it comes to safety and blight. The blocks near Detroit, and anything beyond Central to the north is bad. I personally would keep my search on or immediately next to Collingwood, Parkwood, Scottwood, Robinwood, and maybe Glenwood, no farther up than Islington. Even if you go across Collingwood into the Old Towne neighborhood, it gets rough quick. The core of the neighborhood is beautiful nice and safe though.

The area around Southwyck along Heatherdowns has lots of apartment complexes. The residential neighborhoods in the area are all nice and fine, but with such a large concentration of affordable apartments you inevitably get a little bit of crime. That coupled with the fact that the Southwyck area is dying since the mall closed, it might not be my first choice but its definitely not terrible. I've known plenty of people who have done fine around there.

You should still consider downtown though as well. Everyone I know that lives downtown likes it. Downtown is fairly safe, and if it doesn't seem that "attractive" in its current state to you, just know that its a work in progress, but it gets better every year. I can think of a couple restaurants, a couple bars, and a coffee shop all in the process of renovating and setting up shop as we speak. Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,629 times
my husband and i have a house near heatherdowns and byrne that is for rent - it is a 3 bedroom 1 bath house that is currently empty - we have moved into a new home and are looking to rent this one out until we are able to sell it since the market is not so good right now. the house IS in a great neighborhood and is really close to lots of different options for nightlife - if you or anyone you know is interested in seeing it please let me know - it is on craigslist too - the address is 1766 Meadowlark Avenue toledo ohio 43614 and is for sale by owner for $79,900 or for rent for $800/month or a rent to own for $850/month with $3000 down and $100/month going towards final closing. We are extremely open to just a plain rental option though. We just want someone living in it who will take care of it. you can contact me at katiehaines@bex.net if interested or 419-754-1147 - you proably want to stay near South Toledo or Maumee area if you don't live downtown - lots of areas are bad neighborhoods. the location of our house would be perfect for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: