Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,219 times

Advertisements

anything along Dorr Street past the University of Toledo campus (headed East toward downtown) especially near Parkside is pretty sketchy. I had a boyfriend who lived pretty much at Dorr and Parkside and it was terrifying to walk to and from my car sometimes if it was dark out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,879,959 times
Ive been to Toledo many, many times and have family and friends in Toledo, and Ive been to most areas of the city and metro. I dont study crime stats all day, but I do know a lot about them and I know which ones are very close to accurate and which ones arent. Not to mention that Ive actually been to most of these places and know what Im talking about. I dont think Toledo is a very safe city, but its nowhere near the horrible place that some people like you and Toledoboi4life make it out to be.

There arent many "bigger, rougher" cities than Cleveland, Dayton and Youngstown. Bigger? yes. rougher? yes. Bigger and rougher? Not many at all. Detroit of course, maybe Baltimore and Memphis (as far as Cleveland), nothing else.

There are no areas in Toledo comparable to the worst areas of Chicago, Detroit, or Cleveland. Toledo is 1 hour from Detroit, unless your counting the SW Detroit suburbs to the NE Toledo area. Bratenahl and Glenville (Cleveland) are literally 200 feet apart at some points, yet are completely different and Bratenahl is not effected by the problems in Glenville all that much. There goes your argument with that.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM

374 posts, read 1,120,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprophet99 View Post
anything along Dorr Street past the University of Toledo campus (headed East toward downtown) especially near Parkside is pretty sketchy. I had a boyfriend who lived pretty much at Dorr and Parkside and it was terrifying to walk to and from my car sometimes if it was dark out.
Wow, thats actually where I live...

Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Ive been to Toledo many, many times and have family and friends in Toledo, and Ive been to most areas of the city and metro. I dont study crime stats all day, but I do know a lot about them and I know which ones are very close to accurate and which ones arent. Not to mention that Ive actually been to most of these places and know what Im talking about. I dont think Toledo is a very safe city, but its nowhere near the horrible place that some people like you and Toledoboi4life make it out to be.

There arent many "bigger, rougher" cities than Cleveland, Dayton and Youngstown. Bigger? yes. rougher? yes. Bigger and rougher? Not many at all. Detroit of course, maybe Baltimore and Memphis (as far as Cleveland), nothing else.

There are no areas in Toledo comparable to the worst areas of Chicago, Detroit, or Cleveland. Toledo is 1 hour from Detroit, unless your counting the SW Detroit suburbs to the NE Toledo area. Bratenahl and Glenville (Cleveland) are literally 200 feet apart at some points, yet are completely different and Bratenahl is not effected by the problems in Glenville all that much. There goes your argument with that.
Ok, is it me or are we continually going at it on different threads arguing over the same thing? We're never going to agree on this subject, but that is my opinion. And really it is pointless to argue over this especially when someone just lost their life in both cities to senseless violence this past weekend. We're talking about it on a thread while real people are really living it. I dont know about you, but I actually had to live through it. Im only making statements to inform those who are in the process of moving to Toledo about what is taking place NOW, not two or three years ago. Im not making Toledo out to be any worse than what it is Im only stating the truth. Some may say its not dangerous at all, but ask what part of town they live, others may say it is very well dangerous and then ask what part of town they live in. The person who created this thread ask about bad parts of Toledo, thats it. And in my opinion I can compare the south end (Hawley, Belmont, Nebraska, City park) to Glenville, is it worse? Of course not Cleveland is a much bigger city with worse problems, but does the same ish that takes place in Glenville also takes place on the southside? Yes it does and more often than what you may think.....

Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 AM

89 posts, read 448,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Ok, is it me or are we continually going at it on different threads arguing over the same thing? We're never going to agree on this subject, but that is my opinion. And really it is pointless to argue over this especially when someone just lost their life in both cities to senseless violence this past weekend. We're talking about it on a thread while real people are really living it. I dont know about you, but I actually had to live through it. Im only making statements to inform those who are in the process of moving to Toledo about what is taking place NOW, not two or three years ago. Im not making Toledo out to be any worse than what it is Im only stating the truth. Some may say its not dangerous at all, but ask what part of town they live, others may say it is very well dangerous and then ask what part of town they live in. The person who created this thread ask about bad parts of Toledo, thats it. And in my opinion I can compare the south end (Hawley, Belmont, Nebraska, City park) to Glenville, is it worse? Of course not Cleveland is a much bigger city with worse problems, but does the same ish that takes place in Glenville also takes place on the southside? Yes it does and more often than what you may think.....

i lived in glenville, its bad out there, but i dont think its the worst area in cleveland. kinsman (not sure if it's apart of glenville) in eastside cleveland is horrible, hayden and chapman ave in east cleveland are about as ghetto as it gets. i heard about the southside of toledo but i am not familiar with it, belmont however does ring a bell but i can't remember if i have been there or not...

Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownplayer View Post
i lived in glenville, its bad out there, but i dont think its the worst area in cleveland. kinsman (not sure if it's apart of glenville) in eastside cleveland is horrible, hayden and chapman ave in east cleveland are about as ghetto as it gets. i heard about the southside of toledo but i am not familiar with it, belmont however does ring a bell but i can't remember if i have been there or not...
Im not too sure about the other areas of East Cleveland that you mentioned, but I've been to Glenville and it seemed pretty rough over there. It kinda reminded me of parts of the Southside of Chicago.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 AM

89 posts, read 448,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Im not too sure about the other areas of East Cleveland that you mentioned, but I've been to Glenville and it seemed pretty rough over there. It kinda reminded me of parts of the Southside of Chicago.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ing-north.html

check out the link above it shows pictures of chapman ave. its a real gutter area.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 7,362 times
Although Toledo is bad is some areas there are much worse per capita. Yes we do have our bad areas such as the west around bancroft, the north by lagrange. There are to many to mention but what has yet to be mentioned are the good areas in Toledo in which I believe there are more good places then bad. The good places are out Alexis, Point Place, near Northtown Mall, on the east near Oregon and Northwood. The west is the best side of town still after the bad talk. After the Auburn and monroe area the rest of it is good and not many people know how big that part is. We are blessed to live in the good city that we live in.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 AM

78 posts, read 352,527 times
One good rule of thumb for bad areas in Toledo IMO....any street that is a letter, is the name of a state, a former president, ends in wood, mont, named after an American city, a Canadian province, one of the Great Lakes, or is an everyday cliche street, like Elm, or Chestnut....avoid those streets/areas like the plague, and remember the following:

Stay the (*$& out of the north end, IE Bush/Galena, Lagrange, etc, south end, Western, Hawley area, the toledo Zoo area basically, and 95% of the east side, between the river and Wheeling...

Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,652 times
Question how about this area?

i'm looking at buying a property on parkside, 43607. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me if it is an ok neighborhood. I'm from laredo, texas so i'm used to a little gettoh areas but i dont want to be in the center of all the crime either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo