Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,396,545 times

Advertisements

I stumbled across youtube channel by econcat88. They seem pretty harsh about Toledo's real estate and economy. Just wondering, how is Toledo really doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM

370 posts, read 652,483 times
Wow saw a video!
I lived in Toledo for 3 years. My partner got a job that paid him pretty well so we decided to move there from D.C. The city doesn't have much money and you can tell and I felt as if the young people were dying to leave it. Its not a beautiful city, its not fun, and exciting but you can find interesting things to do on the weekends.
I would never go live back no matter how much money a job offers me. Life is too short :-).

Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,849,592 times
I have to admit, I know the guy's biased as hell but it really doesn't look like a lively town. Maybe I'll make a trip there when the semester's up as part of my see the rest of the state tour.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I have to admit, I know the guy's biased as hell but it really doesn't look like a lively town. Maybe I'll make a trip there when the semester's up as part of my see the rest of the state tour.
Any views on Youngstown? Something like 70,000 people left out of 180,000. Seems pretty bad.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
Wow saw a video!
I lived in Toledo for 3 years. My partner got a job that paid him pretty well so we decided to move there from D.C. The city doesn't have much money and you can tell and I felt as if the young people were dying to leave it. Its not a beautiful city, its not fun, and exciting but you can find interesting things to do on the weekends.
I would never go live back no matter how much money a job offers me. Life is too short :-).
He has tons of videos up. Definitely conservative leaning bent, but hard to argue with the facts as he presents them.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,829,335 times
i spent my more formative years in toledo haha. went to UT from 1999 to 2003. so not sure if my opinions of toledo are based on that experience or not. personally i regret leaving toledo. toledo definitely fit who i am and had everything i needed so to speak. ive lived in greenville, south carolina now almost 10 years. i make a trip back to toledo probably once a year. was in toledo in oct. 12 for the UT / UC football game (great game btw). was also back in town this past 4th of july. for me toledo is where the bulk of my friends still live so for me toledo is never horrible because when you're with your friends you don't necessarily need bright lights haha. IF i could financially do so (meaning find a good job with the same salary i make now) i'd move back to toledo in a heartbeat. but that's me and others may certainly disagree.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM

911 posts, read 2,593,200 times
he's right. toledo is really afraid of spending money to make money.

they half build things and go with local companies and it backfires..... arena is too small, and they wont book anything other than country.

all that land down and they dont maximize it smh

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 PM

10 posts, read 38,837 times
Toledo is not as bad as people think, Americans are just used to perpetual economic and population growth. Ever been overseas? See that "mansion" they caught Bin Laden in that looks like an unattractive middle class household? Heard of a city called Dresden, Germany that got destroyed in WW2? That's what a dying city looks like. Its only the inner city that is dying, the metro population has remained relatively stable and go out to Sylvania, Monclova, Waterville, Perrysburg, there are a lot of people with money and good jobs. Plus Toledo has always been a small metropolis, so what if the downtown is not lively, people don't want to live in the downtown of a small city. The worst thing about Toledo is the people! There are tons of obese, lazy, stupid people, and tons of inner city crime. People here would rather stay in and watch TV than support their city. Most people who move here say the same thing, Toledo is not as bad as people here think, but the people here seem dumb and lazy.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Looks like the Toledo Blade picked up on this story.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 PM

7 posts, read 20,834 times
Really I've got to ask, why does anyone believe Toledo is being badly represented by Econcat's video camera? It's like saying your eyes lie to you when you look around your city. He does enough panning to show his viewpoint isn't narrow at all. If anything, the camera lens is pointed at the downtown, but Toledo's "homers" keep claiming everything is so vibrant and prosperous there. If anything, what's going on is Econcat's camera is point out the Big Lie about Toledo's downtown.

Toledo is really a White Flight tragedy in action. Businesses with sustainable jobs and particular good-paying jobs are invariably found outside the city limits. Basically, if you want to find a good job, you're not going to find one along the city's bus lines. And we all know why that is, since we all know who rides those buses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo