Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,489 times

Advertisements

Hey yall. I'm going to Toledo for grad school in August and am apartment hunting. All the threads I see mention OWE as a sort of hip/progressive neighborhood adjacent to downtown, but few details are given other than to say that there is little as far as shopping.

Can someone describe what it is that makes the neighborhood seem progressive? Is it that many young people are moving there (if so, are they more like yuppies, hipsters, or something else)? What about bars or coffee shops? Events or parks? The house exteriors? Or just the museum?

So anyway, people seem to like the place enough that I'm intrigued, but I could really use some more info before seriously considering moving there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
To be specific, when people are talking about the Old West End as such, theyre talking about the central core of the neighborhood that is maintained well. As you might have read in other threads, the rest of the area outside of the middle is poor, run down, and high crime.

The OWE has a diverse mix of people racially, culturally, lifestyle wise. Theres a large LGBT population in the neighborhood. A lot of creative types as well as doctors, lawyers, enterpreneurs, etc. Definitely a hipster area, which is reflected in some of the businesses near by. Also, the people in the neighborhood are really proactive about the revitalization of the area as well as keeping their neighborhood safe. A cool event they have every year is the OWE Festival. They have a main festival area with vendors and food and entertainment, but it kind of spans the whole neighborhood as everybody parties on their front yards and porches and some people sell items they make or food, and some homes basically have bands play on their front porches. The festival kicks off with King Wamba Parade which is unique and fun.

As far as whats in the neighborhood, its mostly just houses and apartments on residential streets. Theres a lot of bigger, old churches and some huge historic landmark buildings such as the Toledo Museum of Art, Collingwood Art Center, Holy Rosary Cathedral, and Scott High School. There really arent many noteworthy businesses in the immediate neighborhood, except Black Kite Coffee on collingwood which is a cool place. Adams St. in the Uptown area is only blocks away from the OWE and is kind of the area where the hipster bars are as well as a gay club and a couple of nice restaurants.

The main thing the OWE and Downtown for the matter are missing is a good grocery option. Theres the farmers market downtown though, and if you drive just 10 mins you can be at a Krogers.

If you want to know anything else just ask!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks Tobias,

Could you tell me which streets count as the central core? And are there any apartments there, it looks mostly like houses? I was looking at Executive Towers which say they're in OWE, but on the map they look more like uptown.

Overall it sounds like a pretty cool area though.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 16,332 times
Executive Towers looks nice, but I don't know much about the complex. I lived in the old west end in the 90s and liked it. The biggest drawback is a lack of nearby shopping. Having to drive a distance for a quick trip to the market or to grab some take-out can get annoying.

Downtown might be more fun if you like to bar hop. Also, with promedica moving their headquarters dowtown in a couple years, I would expect more amenities to come to the area.

I live near UT and prefer this area the most. There are many rental options north of campus where shopping and dining are relatively plentiful.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks Nick,

Those are the three areas I've been looking at (assuming you mean westgate/old orchard north of campus). Are there any neighborhoods or apartment complexes you would recommend in that area? It would be nice to be close to campus.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 16,332 times
Yes. I am talking about old orchard and westgate area. It depends what you are looking for. I think that Georgetown and Jamestown are both popular mid range apartments north of old orchard (north of central ave.). That isn't exactly walking distance to campus.

What are you looking for? There is everything from cheap ghetto apartments in Kenwood Gardens to 1000 luxury apartments.

For example, there is a nice quiet complex on Central Ave. directly across from old orchard (can't remember the name). It's inhabited mainly by seniors so no partying.

If you plan to drive to drive to campus and can extend well into the westgate area, west of secor there are plenty of options. The area is safe so really, all you have to do is ask whether they take section 8. If yes, then move on. If no then no worries.

A friend of mine stayed in Ottawa Arms on Talmadge and Central. I was surprised how reasonable the rent was considering it was considered ottawa hills and allowed dogs. Just basic apartments but no issues with rif raff.

I have known people to rent houses in the lincolnshire neighborhood just west of westgate. There are some very small ranch homes that may rent cheap.

If you are looking for something specific, let me know. I may have an idea.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

I'm looking for something that's <400/room (planning on having at least one roommate), which looks like upper-mid-range for the area, so maybe something like Regal Oaks or Carriage House. I prefer a younger more lively crowd (not that I want to party hard, but it's nice not having to worry about waking anyone up if a few people do come over once in awhile).

Do you have any suggestions about specific places west of Secor? I just did a search and the Contemporary jumped out, but that's in Sylvania, so I'm wondering how long of a drive that area might be to campus (or if you meant a little closer).

Besides old orchard/westgate, the downtown area looks the most interesting, but it seems like I'd have to drive more there just for grocery shopping than if I lived in the suburbs. A couple of other places that have caught my eye around there are Riverfront apartments and the Historic Hillcrest.

One other question. Do you know anything about the Museum place? There are some videos on youtube, but they don't really seem to have a website.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak k View Post
Thanks Tobias,

Could you tell me which streets count as the central core? And are there any apartments there, it looks mostly like houses? I was looking at Executive Towers which say they're in OWE, but on the map they look more like uptown.

Overall it sounds like a pretty cool area though.

Sorry I havent been on in a week or so.

The main desirable area of the Old West End would be Collingwood, Parkwood, Scottwood, Robinwood, and Glenwood. From Monroe St, all the way north toward Central, but I dont think I would want to be up much farther than Islington, because once youre up to Central, its ghetto again. Also once you get close to Detroit Ave, thats completely ghetto as well. And once you cross over Collingwood to the east, it gets rough within the first block. Its really like an enclave of beautiful streets and homes and proactive people, immediately surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods. The OWE is a treasure though. You just definitely need to check it out in person to get the feel of it.

The neighborhood is mostly large, historic homes. Many of them have been converted into apartments though.

Executive Towers is basically on the cusp of the OWE and Uptown. Ive never been inside of it but it doesnt seem like anything special. But if the price is right and you like the location it could be good.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:10 PM

If youre considering the Westgate and/or Old Orchard area, I lived there for a little bit several years ago, and I liked it.

For starters, I wouldnt recommend Kenwood Gardens, even though its a huge complex that seems well located. Theres too much riff-raff in there. Break-ins are too common. For not too much more money, theres better options. I lived in Georgetown Village and I liked it. I dont know what the rents there are now, but when I was there, my 2 bedroom apartment was about 500 a month. I appreciated having options for dining, coffee, etc within walking distance, and all of the activity of the Franklin Park mall area is only 5 mins away.

If youre considering downtown, Riverfront Apts and Hillcrest are both affordable options. Hillcrest is a cool, huge old building, but its location isnt ideal, its Uptown and only a block away from Adams St, which is kinda cool, but everything else surrounding it is relatively empty and lifeless, and there can be some sketchy people lurking around there. Im sure its still safe though. Riverfront Apts are affordable and are smackdab in the center of downtown off Summit St which is a great location. If youre not super particular about style, they might not be super fashionable or anything, but being next to everything going on downtown could be nice, and you could have it for a reasonable price there.

Museum Place apartments are decent. Theyre spread out across several different unique old buildings along Collingwood and Monroe. That could be worth checking out.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks again Tobias,

I feel like I have a pretty good general idea of things for the time being. It looks like there are quite a few good options in the parts of the city I'm interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo