Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 10,152 times

Advertisements

I have friends who are considering moving from Toledo to Sylvania. I've had several friends recently. The hang up is always the taxes. Sylvania taxes (property) are significantly higher than other nearby areas (and they keep wanting more levies passed....) A house they were recently looking at, for example, is for sale for 180k and taxes would be 400 a month. My house, 1/3 of the payment each month is taxes (in Sylvania). I love living in Sylvania, but the mor I look into it it does seem insane. Almost 5k on a 180k house. That is a lot of money. I know we have great schools, but so do other places. how do you justify the highbrows to someone wanting to move here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:18 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,264,567 times
I don't know how you justify it, except for to compare it to Perrysburg or Ottawa Hills which are just as high or higher. Sylvania has a repuation for having excellent schools, so you pay dearly for the privilege of living there.

We live in Michigan where the tax structure is different and the difference in property taxes between Sylvania and Ottawa Lake or Bedford is astounding. A $180,000 house in these areas would have taxes of less than $3,000/year, probably closer to $2,000.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
Taxes are one of the reasons why we ruled out moving to the burbs. Way too high IMO.

I own some investment properties in Toledo itself and when I started my new job here and had to move from out of state we moved into one of the investment houses with the intent of staying here a year or two before moving on. But due to the low cost (house has no mortgage and taxes are $800 a year) we think we will stay since we are saving so much money. I have school aged children but they go to high performing TPS schools - my son's school in particular even has students who come from the burbs to the school (Toledo Technology Academy) so I don't feel educationally they are lacking in any way.

But the equity and resale values are higher in the better suburban communities like Sylvania and Perrysburg and I think that drives people there along with the lower crime rates (and schools systems). People will pay for what they want if they want it bad enough and those areas aren't losing population so more than enough people are willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo