Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,429 times

Advertisements

Our daughter is considering a graduate program at The University of Toledo. Upon researching the area, the crime rate concerns us. What kind of housing should she look for and where? We want a safe area that is reasonable in cost. We live in a rural area in another state. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 AM

896 posts, read 1,839,001 times
It just boils down to budget and how close to campus she needs to be. A lot of kids rent houses in the Bancroft Hills neighborhood which is the neighborhood directly east of campus across Douglas. Streets like Wyndhurst, Alvin, Perth, Evansdale. There's lots of kids around there and a its a big party area. It's close to some of the rougher neighborhoods off Dorr St though and there's occasional thefts, break ins, etc.

There's apartment complexes that are fine all around the campus. Living on her own, she just needs to be aware of her surroundings, sketchy people, etc.

Ive heard of students sometimes living in the Kenwood Sheridan neighborhood across Douglas, between Central Ave and Ottawa Park. It's not a student neighborhood so it's generally all families, but it's nicer, and if you can afford to rent there, would be distraction free.

And honestly, if she can handle a 10 to 20 min commute, pretty much anywhere in Toledo is close enough. Downtown is always an option for a young adult.

Feel free to ask any more questions

Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,429 times
This part of your answer sounded more promising: "Ive heard of students sometimes living in the Kenwood Sheridan neighborhood across Douglas, between Central Ave and Ottawa Park. It's not a student neighborhood so it's generally all families, but it's nicer, and if you can afford to rent there, would be distraction free."

I'm interested in the location, but as you said, "IF you can afford the rent there," so I'm thinking it may be out of her financial reach. Any idea of what they typically charge?

Our daughter is a serious A student - no alcohol. You may think I'm in denial, but it's true. She has lots of friends, but she picked a dorm at her undergrad college that was a study dorm and avoided the party dorms. What is the cost of living in that area? How much rent per month, and what does it normally include? Electric? Gas? Water? What is the general cost of groceries? We are trying to figure out a monthly budget, etc. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:09 PM

896 posts, read 1,839,001 times
I couldn't tell you what's available over there. Like I said it's a normal residential neighborhood. Toledo is a very affordable place to live in comparison to the rest of the country.

There's plenty of other options though. Most kids just rent apartments. There's acceptable apartment complexes throughout west Toledo. Generally speaking, the more they cost, the better they are, ya know.....as far as being able to tell what the experience of living there will be like.

You can rent a decent apartment for 500 or 600 dollars a month. There's better deals than that to be found but as far as major apartment complexes go, anything that costs less than 450 or so, I would do my due diligence on. Renting a house is all going to depend on where it's at, how nice it is, size, etc. I've never rented a house so I'm not super familiar with rental prices.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,737,573 times
House rentals in Toledo vary. Usually you can get a house in a nicer neighborhood from between $550-$750 per month.

I agree with Tobias in that Toledo is very cheap compared to other cities and the rest of the country. Does your daughter have a car?

If not, I honestly would just look very close to campus and get referrals from the housing department at UT. They also are building more student apartments right now close to the university.

Most of the crime in Toledo is not all that close to the UT campus. I think it would be better for her, if she is not used to living in a city to live closer to campus where they have better security anyway via a combination from Toledo Police and University of Toledo Police.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,154 times
I would first determine whether your daughter will be driving or not. If she will be driving, there are several options that aren't too expensive ($500-600) near the mall, which is a five to ten minute drive from campus. Bus transit is an option; there are two points where buses go to UT at least once an hour. As others have said, there are new apartments being built near the campus. There are also apartments across Secor Road (the west border of the campus) which are student-oriented so there will be the occasional party. Generally, you will experience lots of partying near the campus as the university primarily serves undergraduates. I would suggest checking out the options (UT has a commuter office which provides resources) then visit the area for tours. I graduated from UT in 2012 and still live in Toledo, so feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions about the area in general. I hope your daughter enjoys UT as much as I did!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM

911 posts, read 2,589,312 times
basically pricing out the problem is what u want to do. avoid the south side, avoid apartments near campus. not worth the trouble or crime. try west toledo and anything over $400 a month you will be in good shape

Old 06-18-2015, 02:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,737,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
basically pricing out the problem is what u want to do. avoid the south side, avoid apartments near campus. not worth the trouble or crime. try west toledo and anything over $400 a month you will be in good shape

There are nice neighborhoods in South Toledo. You should say "The Old South End" not the entire south side. Heatherdowns and Glendale are in south Toledo and is a nice area. Also the Harvard Terrace neighborhood near the river and River Road are nice nice areas on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: