Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,750,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have never been to Toledo, but I've been to Dayton and the big three C's in Ohio. I've been reading this thread and it got my attention. I've been a daily bicycle commuter here in Southern California for many decades, and am going to retire next year. I would like to live in a medium sized city where I can use a bicycle for errands and getting around town as well as recreational rides.

I'm considering moving to a lower cost of living place with less congestion than the LA-Orange County megalopolis where I live. I like Dayton area for the extent of the bicycle trails and routes that allow bike riders to get from one side of the metro to the other and beyond in all directions. How bicycle friendly is Toledo? Even if there are not marked bike lanes along a lot of streets or a lot of bike trails, do you see many bike riders around town that are pedaling to get from A to B? This is the sort of info that is hard to pick up from statistics or cold data.

I've lived in many places with all sorts of climate conditions so I am not phased by the 4 season climate of Ohio. I would rent a 1 BR apartment or small older house to give me time to decide if the place suits me long term. I'm going to visit OH again in September, so I'll add Toledo to the itinerary and have a first time look at the area.
Personally, I see a lot of people riding bikes in Toledo. I have relatives that have commuted long distances by bike and Toledo allows cyclist to travel on the sidewalks without any citations if they would like to do so to feel safer.

Toledo is very flat and is easy to get around on a bike.

I agree with Tobias in that there is not a huge culture of cycling here like in more hipster sorts of cities. I also agree that people cycle here because they "have" to more so than because they can. However, I will add that I work for a rather large organization that pays well and we have quite a few people who commute to work by bike. My last employer also had a small group of people who commuted via bike.

Toledo has a lot of side streets and due to that one can stick to a not as popular street and not have many issues cycling.

As was mentioned in the thread, Toledo is also installing many more trails. The one I mentioned earlier on the AW Trail, which is a major North/South thoroughfare in the city, is completed as far as I can tell. I do think they need to add a few more blocks of trail to it, but I have seen people biking that trail in the past few days. FWIW, I lived off the AW trail when I was a kid and I rode my bike down the trail on the grass and never had any issues. There are a lot of kids and adults who ride bikes in Toledo.

Also, I wanted to post the Bike Plan just in case people haven't seen it. It is from 2015 and many of the trails included in it are either completed or are currently being constructed.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM

224 posts, read 294,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
My wife and I live in Pittsburgh but are giving some very loose thought to moving to Toledo in the next couple of years. Downtown Toledo is on our radar as a neighborhood since we like walkability and low reliance on cars. Since we have friends and family in Toledo we are able to visit pretty frequently, but we've only really gone downtown for a Walleye game. I'm looking for suggestions on what else we could do on one of our trips to get a more accurate feel for what living downtown would be like.

Are there any particular spots we should look at for shops, coffee shops, or restaurants? A park we should walk through? I know there is a downtown library branch, are there any other things like that that aren't particularly touristy, but would matter a lot if you lived there? Are there any drug stores or grocery stores? A farmer's market?
Don't do it. Just don't move there, it is a horrible place to live, I'm not saying this to be negative, I'm saying this bc it is true, there is nothing to do at all, u would have tons more to do in Pittsburgh than you would in Toledo. It is very boring city to live in. Plus jobs are very scarce here as well, in fact many, many people I know are moving out of Toledo and not staying there. Toledo has some of the highest crime rates in the nation.

Oh I forgot to mention the giant potholes in the streets and sidewalks, and corruption in the gov. and don't start me on the water issues there. The city doesn't seem to put a whole lot of money into their city, and some of the streets would take years b4 they get serviced.

I can go into more an more. But I would suggest doing some more research before moving there.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
Don't do it. Just don't move there, it is a horrible place to live, I'm not saying this to be negative, I'm saying this bc it is true, there is nothing to do at all, u would have tons more to do in Pittsburgh than you would in Toledo. It is very boring city to live in. Plus jobs are very scarce here as well, in fact many, many people I know are moving out of Toledo and not staying there. Toledo has some of the highest crime rates in the nation.

Oh I forgot to mention the giant potholes in the streets and sidewalks, and corruption in the gov. and don't start me on the water issues there. The city doesn't seem to put a whole lot of money into their city, and some of the streets would take years b4 they get serviced.

I can go into more an more. But I would suggest doing some more research before moving there.
There are pot holes in every Midwestern city.

Also jobs are not scarce in Toledo anymore, especially for people who have an education in an in-demand field or who work a trade that is in demand. Even lower level jobs are plentiful right now, you just won't make much money.

I moved back to Toledo 2 years ago and am happy I did. I make more money (I work in an in-demand field here, that is the key - getting educated and working in an industry needed in the area, there are a lot of fields in Toledo where college graduates or blue collar workers are in high demand). My housing costs declined by over 50% so I have more money in my pocket. Schools are good compared to other areas across the country and Toledo is not one of the most dangerous cities in the country. I don't remember ever seeing Toledo any top 10 or top 20 list of the most dangerous cities in America.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:04 AM

^^^ This guy is full of it literally, I like to know what streets he drives on, he sounds like on of the few people that loves Toledo. I have driven all over the midwest, the south, In my opinion Arkansas has the worst roads even compared to Toledo. But Columbus roads are 10 times better than Toledo's, here is a list of cities that are better than Toledo: Bowling Green, Bellevue, Sandusky, Delaware, Dayton, Cincinnati, Celina, Wauseon, Bucyrus, Upper Sandusky, Tiffin, Fort Wayne, Charlotte, Gastonia, West Virginia, Virginia.

Here is what the crime is there compared to the nation: (real facts not something made up in your head):

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Most people that I talked said they were looking for jobs for literally months before they found anything in Toledo. Anything, and the jobs that you do get in Toledo are typically low wage jobs, no one wants to pay for anything. Plus the Amount of construction that goes on their is ridiculous. Plus the downtown streets that need to be repaved, those won't get touched for years, the city just let those go way beyond their years of service. Anthony Wayne Trail ALWAYS HAS HUGE POTHOLES especially right after it snows, I've seen potholes bigger than my car, literally. I've never seen anything like that anywhere else ever before. If you don't get damage done to your car then you don't drive very much or you drive very, very slow, bc you know the city has tons of potholes. The cost of living in Perrysburg or Maumee isn't that cheap in that city, You pay well over a $1000 a month to live in those hell holes and there not even worth it. I mean its Toledo.

Plus every single person I seem to meet had some sort of problem with drugs, alcohol or been convicted of something there. Plus I've seen with my own eyes the violence that goes on there, I've seen drive by shootings, I've heard gunshots going off, I've seen a guy get stabbed right on the street. I've seen people drink and drive there so much that hit and runs are common there. Drugs are rampant, I mean I literally could go on and on about the stuff I have seen there, and don't use the excuse that it is in other places because its not. Quit burying you head in the sand.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 AM

6,598 posts, read 8,922,545 times
Okay I haven't lived in Toledo for a decade, but between visiting family and friends I still spend a good 15 to 30 days a year there. I obviously would not make the move without landing a job first. There are some problem areas with potholes for sure -- exiting from 75 onto South Avenue is an atrocious first impression, for example -- but overall the pot hole problem doesn't seem that bad to me.

About the only crime thing you list that I'll agree with being a widespread problem is drinking and driving. There is a big difference between the acceptability and frequency of drunk/buzzed driving in Pittsburgh vs. Toledo. The transportation logistics of getting to most bars in Toledo require you to have a DD, drive drunk, or stay home. Walking, public transit, and taxi/uber/lyft are more common options in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
^^^ This guy is full of it literally, I like to know what streets he drives on, he sounds like on of the few people that loves Toledo. I have driven all over the midwest, the south, In my opinion Arkansas has the worst roads even compared to Toledo. But Columbus roads are 10 times better than Toledo's, here is a list of cities that are better than Toledo: Bowling Green, Bellevue, Sandusky, Delaware, Dayton, Cincinnati, Celina, Wauseon, Bucyrus, Upper Sandusky, Tiffin, Fort Wayne, Charlotte, Gastonia, West Virginia, Virginia.

Here is what the crime is there compared to the nation: (real facts not something made up in your head):

Most people that I talked said they were looking for jobs for literally months before they found anything in Toledo. Anything, and the jobs that you do get in Toledo are typically low wage jobs, no one wants to pay for anything. Plus the Amount of construction that goes on their is ridiculous. Plus the downtown streets that need to be repaved, those won't get touched for years, the city just let those go way beyond their years of service. Anthony Wayne Trail ALWAYS HAS HUGE POTHOLES especially right after it snows, I've seen potholes bigger than my car, literally. I've never seen anything like that anywhere else ever before. If you don't get damage done to your car then you don't drive very much or you drive very, very slow, bc you know the city has tons of potholes. The cost of living in Perrysburg or Maumee isn't that cheap in that city, You pay well over a $1000 a month to live in those hell holes and there not even worth it. I mean its Toledo.

Plus every single person I seem to meet had some sort of problem with drugs, alcohol or been convicted of something there. Plus I've seen with my own eyes the violence that goes on there, I've seen drive by shootings, I've heard gunshots going off, I've seen a guy get stabbed right on the street. I've seen people drink and drive there so much that hit and runs are common there. Drugs are rampant, I mean I literally could go on and on about the stuff I have seen there, and don't use the excuse that it is in other places because its not. Quit burying you head in the sand.
On the bold, in most places period it takes "months" to find a job, especially a position that pays well because there is a month's advertising period usually and then interviewing and then pre-hire screenings, etc. Also, I make well above the median income in Toledo. As stated, I have an education and experience in an in-demand field. If you are looking for work in lower paying service oriented positions, then of course you won't make much money.

But FWIW, my spouse (I am a female) left his job when we moved here to Toledo. He is also educated and has primarily worked in an office environment for the past 20 years. He decided to try factory/production work to see what it was like when we moved here since (shocking) he saw a lot of jobs advertised for production. He went to one of the staffing agencies here and got a job in 1 day!!! The job paid $12 an hour to start. He got a raise to $15 an hour in 3 months. In 6 months they hired him into the place he worked and he got another raise to $17 an hour. He cannot believe how many people here complain about not being able to find work. And FWIW, the place he worked is union and they get raises every 6 months after getting hired in up to a specific amount, depending on the position. He no longer works there as he started his own business and was working at the factory just to build up some money over a year's time to invest in his business. He thinks that people who complain about not being able to find a job here just don't want to work (especially guys are lazy and can't move in a production environment due to being out of shape/overweight, he saw a lot of guys quit his job due to this within a week) or they can't pass a drug screening/background check.

Also, I live in a home I own outright. I own a few rental properties in Toledo and I prefer living in larger cities and not smaller ones or suburban communities. I live in the inner city near downtown in an area people think of as "dangerous." I have never been the victim of a crime in Toledo. In Atlanta, my car was stolen every year (once twice in a year) the last 5 years I stayed there. I go downtown almost every day and there are no outrageous pot holes in downtown Toledo. Downtown has some of the least pot holed surface streets IMO. I work 10 minutes from my home via car and I take city streets to work. I have a zoo membership and use the AW Trail to go there and cart my family around at least 3-4 times a week. FYI, they have repaved a large portion of the AW Trail and it is not as potholed as it was last year. I do agree we have a lot of construction going on. I made a mistake recently of going down Detroit Ave - which also does have a lot of potholes and that's one of the reasons why there is construction going on, you cannot fix pot holes without road construction, but anyone who is driving I warn you not to go down Detroit Ave between Monroe and Delaware. Also Bancroft is closed for some construction near where Monroe/Bancroft meet so I don't go down there either. Lagrange is closed under I75 and I don't go over there either, but as stated before and as was reiterated by the poster above me, the pot holes in Toledo really aren't all that bad compared to other Midwestern cities.

The worse thing about Toledo IMO are people who live here or used to live here to complain about things being "Toledo's fault" when really IMO it is indicative of their personal issues. Especially in regards to "finding a job." There are a ton of places hiring in Toledo and if you want to get paid well in Toledo, get into accounting/finance; supply chain; healthcare; etc. These are in demand in Toledo and you'll find a job rather quickly making very good money.

Oh and I'm not a "guy."

Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
On this, you may just hang out with a lot of criminals and drug addicts. I don't even though I live in a low income neighborhood. My neighbors are primarily elderly people who have lived on our street for 20-60 years and they are great people.

I am originally from Toledo and don't have any drug addicts in my generation or even my nephews/nieces who are teens to 20s. They are not on drugs and are in college or working.

I haven't seen a lot of crime in Toledo since I was younger and crime was more rampant across the country, especially in the 1990s. I was also witness to a drive by in the 1990s but that was 20-25 years ago and was an era of extremely high crime across the entire nation.

On the other crimes you mentioned - hit and runs are common everywhere and happened all the time in Atlanta when I lived there. Drugs are common everywhere, there is an epidemic of heroin currently across the country and affects suburban communities today more than inner cities.

IMO you are focused too much on Toledo as being "bad" and are burying your head in the sand on the fact that crime happens everywhere. Toledo does have issues with specific crimes in the city itself IMO, especially property crimes/breaking into homes, that has always had a high degree of occurrence in the city but Toledo is not more dangerous than...say Cleveland here in Ohio especially or Detroit or Flint, MI or Atlanta, GA, or even Little Rock, AR or Buffalo, NY. For a larger city (250k residents or more) it is not all that high on crime rates.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Some interesting news regarding jobs:

Toledo 26th best in US for STEM jobs - Blade

As stated above, if you have the experience and education you can find a good job in Toledo. The economy has really recovered a lot since the recession. I was offered the job I took to move back here (which offered $15k more than I was making in the south) within a month of applying for the position.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, in most places period it takes "months" to find a job, especially a position that pays well because there is a month's advertising period usually and then interviewing and then pre-hire screenings, etc. Also, I make well above the median income in Toledo. As stated, I have an education and experience in an in-demand field. If you are looking for work in lower paying service oriented positions, then of course you won't make much money.

But FWIW, my spouse (I am a female) left his job when we moved here to Toledo. He is also educated and has primarily worked in an office environment for the past 20 years. He decided to try factory/production work to see what it was like when we moved here since (shocking) he saw a lot of jobs advertised for production. He went to one of the staffing agencies here and got a job in 1 day!!! The job paid $12 an hour to start. He got a raise to $15 an hour in 3 months. In 6 months they hired him into the place he worked and he got another raise to $17 an hour. He cannot believe how many people here complain about not being able to find work. And FWIW, the place he worked is union and they get raises every 6 months after getting hired in up to a specific amount, depending on the position. He no longer works there as he started his own business and was working at the factory just to build up some money over a year's time to invest in his business. He thinks that people who complain about not being able to find a job here just don't want to work (especially guys are lazy and can't move in a production environment due to being out of shape/overweight, he saw a lot of guys quit his job due to this within a week) or they can't pass a drug screening/background check.

Also, I live in a home I own outright. I own a few rental properties in Toledo and I prefer living in larger cities and not smaller ones or suburban communities. I live in the inner city near downtown in an area people think of as "dangerous." I have never been the victim of a crime in Toledo. In Atlanta, my car was stolen every year (once twice in a year) the last 5 years I stayed there. I go downtown almost every day and there are no outrageous pot holes in downtown Toledo. Downtown has some of the least pot holed surface streets IMO. I work 10 minutes from my home via car and I take city streets to work. I have a zoo membership and use the AW Trail to go there and cart my family around at least 3-4 times a week. FYI, they have repaved a large portion of the AW Trail and it is not as potholed as it was last year. I do agree we have a lot of construction going on. I made a mistake recently of going down Detroit Ave - which also does have a lot of potholes and that's one of the reasons why there is construction going on, you cannot fix pot holes without road construction, but anyone who is driving I warn you not to go down Detroit Ave between Monroe and Delaware. Also Bancroft is closed for some construction near where Monroe/Bancroft meet so I don't go down there either. Lagrange is closed under I75 and I don't go over there either, but as stated before and as was reiterated by the poster above me, the pot holes in Toledo really aren't all that bad compared to other Midwestern cities.

The worse thing about Toledo IMO are people who live here or used to live here to complain about things being "Toledo's fault" when really IMO it is indicative of their personal issues. Especially in regards to "finding a job." There are a ton of places hiring in Toledo and if you want to get paid well in Toledo, get into accounting/finance; supply chain; healthcare; etc. These are in demand in Toledo and you'll find a job rather quickly making very good money.

Oh and I'm not a "guy."
Oh now I understand u know most people that worked at Chrysler are jerks, I didn't like anyone that worked there, they think they worked at Chrysler they were all that, but they aren't, I know all about that Union Job and I know ALL about Chrysler, it isn't as great as what people think, I've worked for a MUCH LARGER corporation and Chrysler isn't crap compared to them, that company is 30 times better, they had better benefits, better pay, none of this mandatory over time, you could volunteer for overtime, but it was NEVER mandatory, and you could easily have an easy living. What is it about Toledo people who get BIG heads about Toledo and think it is all that when its not, I've lived near Delaware and Columbus for most of my life and it is 1000% better than Toledo, to have you sit there and say that Toledo is all that, well your just full of it literally. Delaware and Columbus had really good roads and even the side streets were good, but you go to any side streets in Toledo, some of the have holes that are bigger than my car and they have been like that for years and the city doesn't do anything to fix it.

But again people that worked at Chrysler always had big heads and they were always a-holes who worked there. They were egotistical when they had no reason to be. They just don't have a clue. Btw that union is worthless.

Btw I know lots of other people who have lived in other places than Toledo and we got to talking about this very subject, idk what it is but people that live in Toledo think that Toledo is all that, but its not and we were talking about this very thing, its like people of Toledo are oblivious to what really goes on in the rest of the state or the rest of the nation. Its funny the people that have lived in Toledo act like they never can leave. I mean its hilarious about the way people think of Toledo up there, when they have lived up there for a long time. They just don't have a clue, they just don't have a clue at all.

If Toledo is all that then take a swim in Maumee river? You won't will you? Why? Maybe because it is literally FULL OF TRASH, its dirty, no one takes care of that river. Its absolutely nasty. The whole city doesn't really pick up trash at all, there is trash all over the place, they have many abandon building where there is tons of trash around, there is trash in the streets all the time. Why doesn't the city have a clean water bill? Or why don't they have a street cleaning crew? Oh thats right their streets have too many potholes so why do we need a cleaning crew for? lol

Old 08-05-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Oh now I understand u know most people that worked at Chrysler are jerks, I didn't like anyone that worked there, they think they worked at Chrysler they were all that, but they aren't, I know all about that Union Job and I know ALL about Chrysler, it isn't as great as what people think, I've worked for a MUCH LARGER corporation and Chrysler isn't crap compared to them, that company is 30 times better, they had better benefits, better pay, none of this mandatory over time, you could volunteer for overtime, but it was NEVER mandatory, and you could easily have an easy living. What is it about Toledo people who get BIG heads about Toledo and think it is all that when its not, I've lived near Delaware and Columbus for most of my life and it is 1000% better than Toledo, to have you sit there and say that Toledo is all that, well your just full of it literally. Delaware and Columbus had really good roads and even the side streets were good, but you go to any side streets in Toledo, some of the have holes that are bigger than my car and they have been like that for years and the city doesn't do anything to fix it.

But again people that worked at Chrysler always had big heads and they were always a-holes who worked there. They were egotistical when they had no reason to be. They just don't have a clue. Btw that union is worthless.

Btw I know lots of other people who have lived in other places than Toledo and we got to talking about this very subject, idk what it is but people that live in Toledo think that Toledo is all that, but its not and we were talking about this very thing, its like people of Toledo are oblivious to what really goes on in the rest of the state or the rest of the nation. Its funny the people that have lived in Toledo act like they never can leave. I mean its hilarious about the way people think of Toledo up there, when they have lived up there for a long time. They just don't have a clue, they just don't have a clue at all.

If Toledo is all that then take a swim in Maumee river? You won't will you? Why? Maybe because it is literally FULL OF TRASH, its dirty, no one takes care of that river. Its absolutely nasty. The whole city doesn't really pick up trash at all, there is trash all over the place, they have many abandon building where there is tons of trash around, there is trash in the streets all the time. Why doesn't the city have a clean water bill? Or why don't they have a street cleaning crew? Oh thats right their streets have too many potholes so why do we need a cleaning crew for? lol
LOL, you have issues.

So you think everyone who works at Chrysler are a-holes lol. Also, please note that my spouse did not work at Chrysler. There are more factories/production outlets in Toledo than Chrysler.

I actually have about 5 family members that work at Chrysler. Only one of them are an a-hole!

On the "never leave" portion, I mentioned I moved back to Toledo after living in other areas of the country. I have only been back a couple years and I lived away about 20 years and honestly I thought similar to you in that Toledo was crappy when I left and when I was away, I realized that it is not all that bad and is a nice little city filled with very nice people for the most part, this was one of the primary reasons I moved back.

And Toledo does have a street cleaning crew. Not sure where you are getting all your hostility from.

If you don't want to live in Toledo, then you shouldn't. I never said that Toledo is "all that" only that Toledo is not as bad as you are making it out to be. Columbus has its own issues like all other cities do. That is my point. And it is odd IMO that you have lived in Columbus and Delaware practically your entire life, yet you want to denigrate my hometown and where I live based on your personal anecdotes and personal anger towards people who work at Chrysler lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo