Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

(I've scanned existing threads. None ask quite what I'm asking.)

My 21 year old son has just graduated from University of Colorado and I've just finished a very friendly divorce from his mom in Santa Barbara CA. My son and I are moving together to the Toledo area to start a franchise business and need to find a suitable place to live while we learn about the community and work.

Our office location is in the Oregon area near the Mercy Hospital. We have just enough familiarity with the area to guess that Ottawa Hills and Reynolds Corner are neighborhoods we'd like. My son says that Harbor view might be cool and I'm open to an artists loft with a view, but I am too old to shrug off local crime.

We're looking to rent for a year while we figure out the 'lay of the land' and are willing to consider anything from a high rise condo through a rambling old thing in a remote area as long as the drive to the office is 15 minutes or less. Our budget is up to $1600/mo. We don't need a show off crib but we hope to live comfortably. I trust that this budget is suitable for these criteria.(?)

We're looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms with contemporary fixtures and appliances. Who should we call or where should we look? Any and all help will be warmly apreciated!

nd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 04:29 AM

219 posts, read 893,961 times
Local crime is largely isolated to the criminals themselves. I've walked downtown, day and night, and have never felt unsafe. There are neighborhoods with property crime, but $1600/month buys you a very nice apartment or house and neighborhood.

Ottawa Hills is an executive suburb of Toledo with UT professors, doctors, lawyers, and business leaders. Very quiet with families and retirees.

You may want to consider Perrysburg, Rossford, or other places where commuting to Oregon is easy.

Downtown Toledo is getting quite nice. They're putting new apartments at the Tower on Maumee, right in your price range. Walking distance to the Mud Hens and Walleyes games and restaurants.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,851 times
Thanks Dayton! I looked at the Tower on the Maumee and I love it but the website is unclear about availability date.

I will investigate Perrysburg and Rossford as well. Again, a walk-in shower and granite countertops are about as fancy as we want.

Any more ideas?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Your budget will get you just about anything you could reasonably want and/or require. It basically comes down to your taste and preference. You have options.

Youre not gonna find much in the way of rentals in Ottawa Hills. Its all big expensive upper class homes.

Reynolds Corners area is a broad, general area, but nothing off of Reynolds is very nice and new or historically significant. Rather bland and the crimes slowly increasing in areas around Dorr and Hill and Nebraska. Not dangerous or anything, but with your budget you can do wayy better.

Harbor View is just a random little neighborhood over on the lake. Its really close to the refineries up there so thats kind of crappy but if youre into being by the lake anything up there could work. Theres nothinh really going on up there though. Its just houses. Not any businesses or anything at all. You would find yourself down on Navarre in Oregon for everything, but you would be relatively close as far as work goes.

Like i said. You have options. I would definitely consider downtown as well. It seems like it would fit youre guys lifestyle fine and its not a very long commute to get from downtown over to Oregon. Tower on the Maumee probably wont be ready for a bit still. Im not sure on its availabilty date but the building still looks very much under renovation still. I would maybe look into Standart Lofts or maybe even the Bartley Lofts (bartley are owned condos but some people rent them out). Both of those places are very nice. Bartley even has a pool on the roof and indoor parking. If not those, i would also look into the Commodore Perry or LaSalle Apts. Both are cool old buildings downtown witb decently nice apartments.

Anymore questions feel free to ask! Im no real estate agent. Just big into everything "Toledo". Welcome home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo