Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

I think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Amazon would pick Toledo itself, but given that even cities like Grand Rapids and Dayton are putting together proposals, is Toledo making any effort?

I think it's plausible that Amazon will pick Detroit or Cleveland. Would those locations be a good or bad thing for Toledo? I think Cleveland would only benefit Toledo in the sense that it benefits the state. Detroit obviously wouldn't benefit Ohio much, but maybe Toledo is close enough to still get a little benefit from it?

On the other hand, either location may just lead to the dreaded "brain drain".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 AM

56 posts, read 65,332 times
I believe they stated in their requirements that they were looking for a metro area of at least 1 million people which would disqualify Toledo.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:59 AM

True, but that isn't stopping Dayton or Grand Rapids from trying. I don't know that any city truly meets all of Amazon's wish list.

I just wondered if there was any buzz about it in Toledo?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I wish there was a chance and I do think that the Toledo region should be putting their proposal in the mix. I had read about their expanding but don't know if our civic leaders even are going to put in a proposal. I think it is due in October.

I think a Detroit selection would benefit Toledo. I honestly know a lot of people in Toledo who work in Detroit or near Detroit. Our close connection to MI would make a relocation to SE MI beneficial for Toledoans looking for work.

But again, I think we would be a great city to host Amazon. I haven't heard of any buzz here. Seeing this thread reminded me of the Amazon headquarter article I read and I honestly am going to send a message to our mayor and Wade whose running for mayor and see if they are going to put in a proposal. Also to TMACOG. TMACOG is NW OH and SE MI government councils. Combining all of them together would make our area fit the population metrics. I wonder if they are already looking into it. Honestly since moving back to Toledo I think many of our governmental leaders don't aim as high as they can from a commercial development standpoint. If I were on TMACOG I would have jumped at the opportunity to submit a proposal.

As someone who has run RFPs I know for a fact that the organizations/locales chosen never fully meet the qualifications and when I looked up the RFP notice, it really didn't provide any sort of specifications for metro areas to have in writing.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:43 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Sadly, until they take the water condition in western Lake Erie and now the Maumee River seriously, Toledo will not be able to attract much of anything from outside of the region.

I'm no tree hugger but this is getting ridiculous. So Governor Kasich and Toledo Mayor Paula Hicks-Hudson refuse to try to get Lake Erie declared "impaired" which would qualify it for some serious attention by the federal government and more federal funds for fear of chasing away potential investment in the area, yet a green, slimy lake and now river won't do that at all, right?

After seeing the local news stories and pictures of the Maumee River that came out this week I'm wondering if even good, old, reliable Promedica is rethinking their move to the riverfront. Eating at the Docks must be a treat right now, NOT. Not that dining out is a priority but it's just another example of how loyal local businesses will be hurt by short sighted government thinking. They need to get serious about this problem, like, yesterday!

Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 AM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times
toledo is a hub city, water way access and has an airport. if amazon set up a headquarters here, they would effectively clean up downtown if they set up there since the building would result in alot of unused places being torn down which is great.

but i doubt it. toledo seems to think they are on par with columbus and orlando and tried to raise prices on things to reflect it.

amazon will take a hard pass on toledo

Old 09-29-2017, 09:15 PM

On one hand, I guess it doesn't make sense to waste resources putting together a proposal that almost certainly will be rejected...but on the other hand, the prize is so big that it's hard to believe the city didn't at least throw together a handful of employees to work on it for a few days.

Other than the geographic location being strong, I think Toledo's strongest selling point would be that downtown already exists, but it would more or less be Amazon's private corporate downtown.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
This is a bid for them to build another major headquarters type of building, not a huge hub/distribution center....correct?

Toledo is a perfect location for logistics and distribution options. But as far as a corporate buildings concerned, i cant see us being in the running. I would love for it, but first off, were not as big of a city as they want to be in.

Regionally I could see them liking Columbus because its one of the only rapidly growing cities in this region of the country with lots of desirable amenities employees would value. I could also see them viewing Detroit as an opportunity as they wouldnt have trouble acquiring as much land as they want, could really put theyre imprint on the city, and it would be great publicity to set up shop and be part of the revitalization of Detroit.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
This is a bid for them to build another major headquarters type of building, not a huge hub/distribution center....correct?

Toledo is a perfect location for logistics and distribution options. But as far as a corporate buildings concerned, i cant see us being in the running. I would love for it, but first off, were not as big of a city as they want to be in.

Regionally I could see them liking Columbus because its one of the only rapidly growing cities in this region of the country with lots of desirable amenities employees would value. I could also see them viewing Detroit as an opportunity as they wouldnt have trouble acquiring as much land as they want, could really put theyre imprint on the city, and it would be great publicity to set up shop and be part of the revitalization of Detroit.
Honestly, I think Toledo is a better candidate for Detroit. We also have a huge amount of land for them to have and create as they wish. We also have a lot of empty buildings downtown that could be re-purposed as their headquarters and we have great suburban communities and lots of land available for them to build to suit their needs. We are also only 40 minutes from DTW airport and we have our own airport, a seaport and we are logistically situated in an area that is a great strategic position. I think they could put an imprint here as well and also draw talent from both SE MI and Ohio universities in regards to an employee base. Also regardless of what people think about Toledo, we are a decent city economically compared to many cities in the Midwest, including Detroit. We are more diverse and have less crime and have an easier transformation with both downtown and our neighborhoods than Detroit would have due to the above, and that is not a knock on Detroit, as I love Detroit and if any city gets it, since Toledo is not looking like they are going to participate, then I hope they get it.

The environmental thing with the algae, I don't think would be something that could drive them away. Nearly every place in the country has some sort of environmental issues and I remember when the Ohio River had some toxic algae in it a few years ago and it is still ongoing yet Cincy and municipal areas in KY are putting in their proposals.

I did send an email to the people mentioned above. I thought it interesting that Wade posted on his facebook page a couple days later about PHH not putting in a proposal, yet didn't indicate that he was going to do so and blamed it on her having another "failed opportunity" when he is already an elected member of Lucas County and the county can submit a proposal. I am leaning toward voting for him but I hate it when politicians try to lay blame instead of doing some work and sent him another message that the county and TMACOG can put in a proposal, it doesn't have to be the city of Toledo, but it would be great for everyone to work together for an opportunity for us, even if it is a long shot, they should put their play in the game.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I think Toledo is a better candidate for Detroit. We also have a huge amount of land for them to have and create as they wish. We also have a lot of empty buildings downtown that could be re-purposed as their headquarters and we have great suburban communities and lots of land available for them to build to suit their needs. We are also only 40 minutes from DTW airport and we have our own airport, a seaport and we are logistically situated in an area that is a great strategic position. I think they could put an imprint here as well and also draw talent from both SE MI and Ohio universities in regards to an employee base. Also regardless of what people think about Toledo, we are a decent city economically compared to many cities in the Midwest, including Detroit. We are more diverse and have less crime and have an easier transformation with both downtown and our neighborhoods than Detroit would have due to the above, and that is not a knock on Detroit, as I love Detroit and if any city gets it, since Toledo is not looking like they are going to participate, then I hope they get it.

I agree Toledo has everything Detroit has to offer, just on a smaller scale. I guess we would have to know just what qualities in a city matter to Amazon. Size is the only thing theyve suggested and we arent on that level.

I dont think our geographical assets, transportation wise, matter much since theyre talking about a headquarters....not a shipping center of any sort. We have everything they need for that. Plenty of people looking for a good job. We know how to work around here. But when it comes to deciding where potentially thousands of professionals are going to work.....a tech / e-commerce company corporation is bound to have a weak impression of Toledo. Theyll want somewhere that probably comes off more hip and cosmopolitan than here.

I think they should try though. Obviously not throw all their eggs in that basket since our chances are very low but ya know.....cant win if you dont play, and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo