Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 AM

23 posts, read 26,965 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I received a job offer in the Toledo area (Owens CC) and am inclined to purchase a home in the area. I am interested in a 3bd+/2ba+ home or condo for <$200k in a good or up-and-coming neighborhood. I am also interested in possibly a multi-family for investment purposes but have not seen much that were decent in my initial searches (I would live in one and rent the other(s)). I am from the Detroit Metro area but know nothing about Toledo. The things most important to me are:

Safety - I am a single mom with a toddler
Sense of Community - I have an active child so would love an area with parks and other families to play with
Nightlife/Dating Scene - Again, SINGLE mom
Taxes - I've read that Ohio has city taxes so living and working in different areas can be costly if not considered, also low property taxes are a plus
Schools - My child has a couple years until starting kindergarten so this is less important now (I may move again at that time anyways) but more so for the quality bleed-over into preschools and surrounding areas
Traffic - I have no idea about traffic in the area but being less than 20-25 minutes from the job in traffic is ideal
Investment Potential - This will be my first home and I would like for it to appreciate and/or provide a decent rental income (I even may purchase an investment home and still rent)
Diversity - Economically and racially

Where should I live? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
I would say it just depends on which of those things you listed are of the highest priority.

Traffic generally is manageable regardless of where you live, especially if you have relatively decent highway access. Pretty much everything in metro Toledo is under 30 mins drive so I wouldnt worry about that too much unless you want to be super close to work.

Schools. I'm not super knowledgable about schools as I'm like you...I have a daughter who's in pre school and I dont have any experience with the districts yet. I grew up about 30 mins outside of Toledo in the country. With that said, Toledo Public Schools perform below the suburban districts for all of the same reasons inner city schools have challenges across the country. Washington Local schools is kind of a happy medium perhaps. It's not TPS, but not in the suburbs (still the City of Toledo).

Something I'm considering with my next move, and may be of interest to you too.....theres some areas of Toledo where your address (so your taxes) are the city of Toledo but the school district is Sylvania or Maumee. So you benefit from a more affordable neighborhood (these areas are still really nice and safe) and also benefit from attending a higher quality school district. If you like the idea of not actually leaving Michigan, you can still live in Michigan and live close. Lambertville and Temperance (Bedford Twp) are all suburbs right across the state line that would only be about a 20 to 25 min drive to Owen's probably.

When it comes to diversity, Toledo has plenty. Kinda similar to Detroit. Large black and Latino communities, as well as a decent size middle eastern community and Indian community as well. How well these different demographics are integrated is a little more debatable.

And the nightlife and dating thing is the hardest thing. It all depends on the individual and what they're into and what they specifically want, need, and expect. I have no experience as I've been married since my early twenties. Theres lots of bars, restaurants, per the population in Toledo for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I’d say I listed those in order of importance.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM

148 posts, read 459,519 times
Welcome to the area - here are a few ideas for you overall - commutes are not longer than 25 minutes about anywhere in the metro, especially the southern and eastern sections. I suggest you look at Maumee, Rossford, Sylvania and Bowling Green. Those are middle class, solid communities that with different combinations of what you are looking for. There should be homes/condos available in your range (there aren't really up-and-coming/rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods); schools are good, commute manageable, taxes relatively similar, similar diversity. I know Rossford the least, but it's closest to OCC and seems to be a stable community - the businesses have been there a while, and the city is building a new high school in the center of town, using the old building with new construction. Maumee and Sylvania are solid, and Bowling Green is a university town -- good schools, prices a little higher, maybe better dating scene than the others?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:29 AM

I’ve seen many recommendations for Sylvania, Perrysburg, and Maumee for others on this site. I’ll check out Rossford but Bowling Green may be a little too far for me (I really hate driving lol). I’d prefer to be in Ohio vs. Michigan for insurance purposes but the closer to the border the better for family visits in/from Michigan and possibly school in Ann Arbor.

Which cities have the most suburban feel? From what I’ve seen so far, the Toledo area is country-like to me, coming from the suburbs of Detroit, so more developed towns are preferred. Also, what are some good areas of Toledo city itself?

Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sha23 View Post
I received a job offer in the Toledo area (Owens CC)
Where should I live? Thanks in advance!
As close to the job as practical.
Find a nice suburban apartment development with pool and kiddie stuff.
Take a year or so 1) to be sure about the job 2) to make some friends and 3) to learn your way around.

All the rest comes AFTER.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM

My goal is to begin building a real estate portfolio. I have my preferences, but wherever would most likely provide a stable rental income is ideal. That’s why I am open to buying a place to rent out but living elsewhere. I listed investment purposes further down my criteria list but better neighborhoods with the things above it tend to be decent investments.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:59 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
Lived in Toledo most of my life and now live in Las Vegas. Also worked at Owens Corning downtown.
Easy drive down there. Downtown is almost a ghost town now. Not a jumping thriving place to be.

Sylvania, Sylvania Township is a very safe with good resale. There is not a lot of appreciation in Toledo so I would not look at it as investment material. Ten years ago when I sold my house on water in Sylvania for 290k, I paid $220 for a nice ranch style in a community here. That house with Nevada appreciation is now worth 440k. The one back in Ohio was recently for sale in the low 300's.
If I had to move back I would go to the parts of Michigan abutting Sylvania. Lambertville, Temperance, those areas.

Dating, I wish you luck. Toledo is very blue collar although work can be a good base place for you. Other than that, I would immediately get on an online dating site. Be cautious, be wise, be selective, market yourself well with good photos and you'll do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo