U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM

27 posts, read 89,454 times
Default Maumee or Perrysburg??

I'm wondering about the schools in these places. Is one better than the other? From what I gather these are both good places to raise a family, but is one better than the other for the schools, neighborhoods, shopping etc....
Also, is there a good childrens hospital close by to these? Thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 PM

152 posts, read 357,647 times
I think both Perrysburg and Maumee's schools are about the same. Both towns are similar to each other. Maumee has St. Luke's hospital and the Lucas County Recreation Center and Perrysburg has Levis Commons for shopping. Both are close to the Toledo hospitals and it wouldn't take long to get to the Franklin Park Mall. Also, a new mall is being built not far from Maumee that I think will be open later this year.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Thanks for your help

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 143,034 times
They are quite similar (historic river towns), but politically, there is a difference. Maumee is moderate-liberal while Perrysburg CITY is moderate, and Perrysburg TOWNSHIP leans conservative (it's the most conservative part of Wood County). In Perrysburg's case, it's important to make the distinction between the township and city (they are completely seperate municipalities). Perrysburg City is mostly historic city-block style development while Perrysburg Township is mostly modern suburban sprawl. Perrysburg City is actually the only other municipality in America besides Washington DC to be platted by the federal government. It has very well-preserved historic districts and some beautiful late 1800's/early 1900's housing. There is also a wonderfully intact downtown commercial district with mom & pop shops, bars, and restaurants. The downtown opens up to a nice park overlooking the Maumee River. In summertime, it's a very attractive place.

Maumee, by comparison, is not quite as intact, but there are still some great historic districts, not to mention some famous stops on the Underground Railroad. There is a large public library near the River Road neighborhood, great riverfront access, and one of the best/most famous metroparks in the entire state of Ohio- Sidecut Metropark. The park system in Maumee is second to none, and like Perrysburg, there is also a great downtown with lots of shops, bars, and restaurants. There is actually a decent nightlife district of about four or five bars in renovated buildings. Maumee also has Andersons, and if you're familiar with the Toledo area, that needs no introduction...

If I'm not mistaken, Maumee is currently more "bang for your buck" than Perrysburg and the school system is as good as it gets in Ohio (though I'm sure Perrysburg is decent too).

In terms of options, I'd pick Maumee due to Sidecut, Andersons, and closer proximity to Toledo (though we're talking a difference of like three miles).

Maumee also seems to have more "buzz" than both Perrysburg City and Perrysburg Township. I've always looked at Maumee as the livliest of Toledo's suburbs, especially during the warm months (May through October). For being a suburb, Maumee has lots of festivals, neighborhood parties, and outdoor concerts. There really is no limit of things to do in Maumee, and if you desire more big-city culture, Toledo is right next door. It has a good mix of activities for both kids and adults.

As far as "best place to raise kids", I'd give a nod to Maumee. Your kids will love the parks and walkable neighborhoods in the historic areas, and like I said, the public schools couldn't be any better. While Perrysburg City is pretty nice, you seem to get more options in Maumee.

I would strongly urge you yo stay away from Perrysburg Township since it is not very pedestrian friendly and it's pretty bland/boring. As a kid, I think living in a neighborhood with lots of options within walking distance of your house is quite desirable. In most parts of Maumee, kids safely walk to get ice cream, go fishing, eat, play at the park, etc.

Whatever you choose, the Maumee River will be a huge asset and it's great for boating and fishing. For swimming, there is a huge pool in Maumee (one of the largest in Ohio), and the Lake Erie beaches are a short drive away. Luna Pier is about 30 minutes from Maumee, and Monroe (Sterling State Park) is about 40 minutes. Both are off of I-75 heading north. Maumee Bay is nearby too just outside of East Toledo/Oregon, but the water tends to be dirtier there. You probably would feel better taking your kids to the Michigan beaches or something in Ottawa County. East Harbor is an outstanding beach located about 40 miles eat of Toledo. Western Lake Erie is the warmest part of the Great Lakes system, and the beaches are quite popular June through September.

Last edited by C-Dawg; 03-26-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,207 times
Default The same no way!

I would definitely choose Perrysburg over Maumee. The schools have a higher rating and ALL of Perrysburg is nice whereas much of Maumee is not so nice. It's cleaner, better layed out and offers much more in the way of shopping and services. Maumee is not a bad place to live at all, but of all the Toledo suburbs, Perrysburg is definitely the most upscale.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM

Hmmm...you all have definetly given me some things to consider. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,415 times
Default I love Perrysburg

As someone who grew up in Perrysburg for 11 years of my life, I absolutely love it there. It is a beautiful city with friendly people. I have been living in Columbus for the past two years attending Ohio State and cannot wait until I move home and settle back down in Perrysburg. It is truly a city where I feel safe and secure which is very important to me. I would definately recommend Perrysburg over Maumee, not saying that Maumee is bad though.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM

21 posts, read 94,517 times
Remeber you will need to pay the city 1.5% of your income plus more to Toledo if you work in the city.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,231 times
I come from a large family of several generations ranging in age from newborn to the late 90's living in both Maumee and Pburg. I personally live in the burg, but here are some observations:

High School: Pburgs is newer and much larger. Virtually everyone I've shown it to says, "is that a prison?" at first sight. Drug abuse is present in both schools, but more so in the burg. The Perrysburg Heights neighborhood is well know drug trafficking area, but I think this is changing as more middle income suburbs crowd the area. Of course if you are looking for drugs, you could find them in a monastery.
Maumee HS isn't (but it sure was when it was built) fancy, but it gets the job done.

Community: Maumee seems to be more "all for one, one for all" community based. It's important to note that Maumee is landlocked as it is completely surrounded by other communities or geographical borders (Toledo, Maumee River, Waterville, etc.) so growth is pretty much limited. That means there is incentive to keep all neighborhoods in good shape because what may have started as urban sprawl years ago has nowhere to sprawl to. Pburg has been growing like a weed and stretches almost to Bowling Green at this point, filling every available farm field and even a former seminary campus with middle income housing and ostentatious and sometimes outright grotesque McMansions. The downtown "old" Pburg is still pretty nice though. Most of the old money families have split to Colorado and the like or simply keep a residence here for old times sake, and their children generally go to MVCDS or out of state for school. Accordingly, many of the old estates have been split into multi-housing developments.
Wherever you are, it is what you make of it.
Whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo