Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM

31 posts, read 119,596 times

Advertisements

I would be cautious about anything that is near Deveaux because too many of the streets are hit or miss in that area. Your best bet would be focusing on the Crossgates area (Glendale near Swan Creek Park)..streets such as Woodhurst, Cherrylawn, Archwood are nice quiet family oriented streets.....think of the perimeter of Heatherdowns, Eastgate, Glendale and Byrne....there should be many choices within those boundries. Ironically I have friends who live on Maxwell and Woodhurst and I would prefer Woodhurst because the houses are a little bit larger and you have more land and the schools are better. To get downtown would be a straight shot down Glendale to the Anthony Wayne Trail. I cant imagine it would take more than 15 mins to get downtown from the Crossgates area. Beverly is one of the top elem schools in the Toledo Public System and some of the neighborhoods around Copeland Park (Byrne and Copland Blvd) are zoned to it. As far as Byrnedale, it has a large feeder area (as most Jr high schools do) so you get a mix of the good and the not so good.....Bowsher HS however is arguably the top Toledo Pub H.S. in terms of what types of courses they offer (more AP courses, ect)....but once again it has a large feeder system (that will get even larger if Libbey H.S. closes) so you get a mix of......I know far too many Tol Pub employees who send their kids to private schools once they get to Jr High or HS, even in the "nice" school zones.....

I think if I were you I would start with the Copland Park (Beverly) area and then work my way over to the neighborhoods closely surrounding Crossgates. You will find something between the two of them. One thing to keep in mind is that you can have a Toledo address and be zoned to a suburban school district. I live in such a neighborhood, Toledo address, Maumee schools. The areas to the South of Heatherdowns from roughly Byrne Rd. down to Holland Rd. are Maumee with the portion to the North of Heatherdowns between roughly Reynolds to Holland Rd. being zoned to Springfield (Holland OH) schools. My old neighborhood behind Westgate was Toledo city, zoned to Washington Local. Just look for homes near the edge of the city and you will more than likely find property that fit within those categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
No matter where you decide to live in the city, if your budget is $100-$125,000 you are not going to be in a real good, safe neighborhood. Also keep in mind, property taxes are very high here so a good portion of what you could be spending on your mortgage will go instead to the city. Expect to pay around $2500 a year, which is an off the wall amount compared to other cities. If I was forced to live in the city and my budget was around $145,000 I would probably chose something around the Lincolnshire area. That gives you a good sized lot, mature trees, interesting ranch style homes, a community pool, and a somewhat mixed neighborhood with a not the best school district.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
I would want to know more about what you would prefer... Historic, postwar... architecture? Pedestrian friendliness? and when you start looking in that part of West Toledo... the traffic congestion can also be a consideration. Home prices are not a very good indicator of safety; look up the safety of a neighborhood on a reputable site. Everyone has an opinion in Toledo, especially about neighborhoods; it can take a while for a person new to Toledo to sort through all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo