Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 16,993 times

Advertisements

What are you thoughts about the historic west end? Do you think she would be better off there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM

227 posts, read 626,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin76 View Post
What are you thoughts about the historic west end? Do you think she would be better off there?
I own a property in the Old West End... I absolutely love it. The architecture and the people there are really cool. There is no neighborhood anyplace else in the world quite like it... BUT a lot of people will tell you that you are never too far from blight. You can go from tree lined mansion filled streets to boarded up houses and vacant lots in a few blocks. I mean I love the old west end, but I don't want any one to think that it is something that it isn't. I think it is definitely worth a look for anyone moving to Toledo.

I also like to plug Harvard Terrace... it is a relatively unknown neighborhood along the river with less grand historic housing stock. It is more family oriented, yet is a very short drive to down town.

As I have told people before... it all depends on what you want in a neighborhood. Is she move interested in nightlife or does she want a quiet neighborhood...

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 16,993 times
Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of Chelsea Place Apartments in Sylvania?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:25 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times
Cool thread, thanks to the OP for starting it off.

Ryan, where is Harvard Terrace? What intersections are in that area and what are the neighborhood boundaries?

Also how would you define the street boundaries of the Old West End?

Downtowns are cool and it is so good to hear that Toledo's will get some investment. Some of Bowling Green's best apartments and homes are in the old downtown.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Harvard Terrace is bordered by the Maumee River, Glendale, A W Trail, and the Zoo. harvardterracetol.exofire.net.

There is a lot of debate over what the true boundaries are for the Old West End... as a Realtor I will tell you that anything with a 43620 or 43610 zip code will come up as "Old West End" on the MLS, but I find that the National Register of Historic Places guidlines are more accurate... in 1973: "Roughly bounded by Delaware, Collingwood, and Glenwood Aves. and Grove Pl., Toledo" and in 1984 it was expanded to: "Glenwood, Glover, Ashland, Collingwood, and Central Aves., Toledo" There are also National restrictions on the Old Towne neighborhood which is on the East side of Collingwood, this neighborhood is often called the Old West End as well, even though it technically isn't.... SOOOO how is that for a complicated answer?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times
So Harvard Terrace looks like about a 1/2 mile square area... looks cool... here's a Google Map if I'm interpreting that right...

glendale ave. & harvard blvd., toledo, oh - Google Maps

What's the river frontage like? That would be cool if it was accessible/clean at all... I would bet it isn't, though. Next time I'm up that way I'll have to take a look. Is Walbridge Park safe/accessible? Is there any shopping on any of the arterial streets?

SOUTH boundary: Glendale
WEST & NORTH boundary: Route 25/AW Trail
EAST boundary: Broadway, Amherst, or the zoo

Is that right? Anyone from outside the area would get confused with the name of the AW Trail as a boundary -- on the map its shown as Route 25 and sometimes its Route 24, I think. I don't even really understand.

You really confused me with your street boundaries of the OWE.

Here's the map:

scottwood & islington, Toledo, OH - Google Maps

So -- let me give this a shot, and tell me if I'm close:
EAST boundary is Collingwood
SOUTH boundary is Delaware
NORTH boundary is Central??
WEST boundary is Detroit??

Google Maps doesn't seem to know where Grove or Glover are, and Ashland seems way to the south and east.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Harvard Terrace:

You have the boundaries for Harvard Terrace right...

There is a overlook deck right at Harvard Circle (has a fountain) has the best views around and Walbridge park is clean now (not so much a few years back) There are free concerts every Thursday in the summer... the only complaint is during the weekends in the summer it can get noisy and crowded. The park has a 1 mile paved trail and you can walk right along the river between the yacht club and the sailing club. There is a public boat access right next to Walbridge Park, but somehow the zoo has it so that during zoo hours, you have to pay for parking... but if you go before or after zoo hours you can get right through.

Any time there is a concert at the zoo amphitheater, you can hear it clear as a bell sitting out by the sculpture at the East end of Walbridge Park... speaking of... there are plans to put in a sculpture walk along the paved trail.

There is a strip of commercial properties on Glendale... including Wixey bakery, a candy store, an icecream store, a barber shop, a model train store, therma-whatever windows... Trust me, having these places within a short walk is a mixed blessing, if you are watching your weight.

Everyone in Toledo calls it the Anthony Wayne Trail, but the maps always prefer to call it route 25 (it is no longer route 24 after Detroit ave splits off, i think)... Outsiders always had the same problem understanding natives when I lived in Cleveland when they would talk about "the Shoreway" or "the Jennings Freeway"... It just makes it easier to call it the AW Trail, since the highway designations to drop off at different points.

Old West End:

I was wishy-washing on the boundary because no matter where you draw the line, someone is going to disagree or get offended. Here is my best approxomation of the Old West End...

East = Collingwood,
South = Monroe
North = Islington
West = Glenwood

At any rate... your guess was close... but it definately goes all the way south to the Art museum and people rarely include Detroit Ave... only as far West as Glenwood (you can see a clear line of what is transitional and what is fabulous at glenwood.) Grove Pl is behind the art museum... it is only supposed to extend to Ashland between Bancroft and Winthrop... Confusing I know... when you drive around it is clear where the mansion-esque houses are and where the not-so-remarkable houses start.

Last edited by ryansmith; 07-21-2010 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: failed to address one point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo