U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM

4,626 posts, read 3,918,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, but there are other natural disasters in those regions, like flooding, quakes, droughts, blizzards, hurricanes, etc. It is really not easy to find a regioin in the US where one does not have to be worried about natural disasters Maybe New England...
New England has a slight hurricane risk... It also has yearly blizzards, and can get flooding.

Yeah, it is hard to find to a place in the USA without some type of natural disaster risk.

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM

27,151 posts, read 9,585,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
New England has a slight hurricane risk... It also has yearly blizzards, and can get flooding.

Yeah, it is hard to find to a place in the USA without some type of natural disaster risk.
Hard to find anywhere in the world that is immune from Mother Nature.

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM

4,626 posts, read 3,918,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hard to find anywhere in the world that is immune from Mother Nature.
That is true. Even most areas of Europe and Australia can deal with some type of natural disasters.(Those are the places people least expect natural disasters to happen)

Also did you know that the most vulnerable place in the world for tornadoes outside the Midwestern and Southeastern region of the USA is Bangladesh? That was shocking to me.
But yeah, the Midwestern and Southeastern regions of the USA seems first while Bangladesh seems to be second.

Unread 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM

15,889 posts, read 7,606,953 times
Bangladesh has the problem of very low altitude, a bit similar to the Netherlands. But the Netherlands have an extensive, high-tech **** system that protects their low-lying regions from the ocean. Bangladesh is dirt poor, thus their land gets flooded all the time

Gee, the curse protection on CD is really stupid, let's try the British spelling dyke...

Unread 05-26-2011, 10:53 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,603,147 times
Quote:
So, when there is a tornado warning, people just hope and pray it won't hit their town... Do insurance companies cover tornado and similar damage?
Yes, standard homeowner's insurance policies do cover tornado damage. And you are basically correct- if there is a tornado risk, people do just hope that it doesn't hit their area. Tornadoes are so localized, that in most cases even if one does come near a town or city, and goes into that town or city, it may only affect a few homes, or maybe a few city blocks. So if people get the warning that their city is under a warning, they take shelter as best as they can (in the basement or in an inner room on the lowest floor of their home) and hope for the best.

The very large tornadoes that take out entire sections of a city as these recent ones have are truly rare, shocking even to those who have lived their entire lives in tornado alley. Up until last year I lived in tornado alley- in Nebraska. And sure each Spring we would have tornado warnings where a tornado would develop somewhere near my town- the sirens would sound and we would take shelter as best as we could- but every time the tornado either dissipated quickly never affecting the town, or move in a different direction missing the town. I think one time in the 12 years I lived there a tornado very briefly clipped an outer area of the town affecting a couple of buildings. So what happens is each time there is a warning people really are complacent- feeling like "sure, we hear the sirens every year, nothing ever happens- the chances are so tiny of anything actually happening to my house" that they ignore it- just continue watching TV, shopping, or doing whatever they are doing. So really in many regards it's not too unlike living anywhere else- because the actual chances of having something damage your own house are very small- it's just that the threat is there, making you wonder sort of like a game of roulette if today's storms will in fact hit your neighborhood.

Unread 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM

OK, so at least people can rebuild their homes thanks to the insurance

I was wondering what the best architecture would be to withstand the forces of a tornado. My "physics intuition" tells me a concave cone more or less like this Even a bit more concave maybe to divert the suction forces to the area surrounding the base.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/18500/185...s_18596_lg.gif

Unread 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,603,147 times
Quote:
OK, so at least people can rebuild their homes thanks to the insurance

I was wondering what the best architecture would be to withstand the forces of a tornado. My "physics intuition" tells me a concave cone more or less like this, even more concave maybe

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/18500/185...s_18596_lg.gif
Yes! Build the house to that design out of steel and very thick concrete- it's probably about as good of protection you could possibly hope for. There are some homes I remember seeing that were underground- they had a bit of a hill built up and then the house built into the side of that hill- with really only one man made wall exposed to the outside. I would have to think that's pretty safe as well.

Unread 05-26-2011, 02:53 PM

13,859 posts, read 11,802,826 times
Quote:
Bangladesh has the problem of very low altitude, a bit similar to the Netherlands. But the Netherlands have an extensive, high-tech **** system that protects their low-lying regions from the ocean. Bangladesh is dirt poor, thus their land gets flooded all the time

Gee, the curse protection on CD is really stupid, let's try the British spelling dyke...
That's weird as I thought what you call "the British spelling" was the curse/derogatory word and the other just the engineering word.

I can never mention graduating magna c'um laude with the correct spelling of the middle-word. Although maybe if I hyphenated it magna-***-laude (nope) or ran it together as one word magnacumlaude (yep) it'd work.

Unread 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That's weird as I thought what you call "the British spelling" was the curse/derogatory word and the other just the engineering word.

I can never mention graduating magna c'um laude with the correct spelling of the middle-word. Although maybe if I hyphenated it magna-***-laude (nope) or ran it together as one word magnacumlaude (yep) it'd work.
Hm, I have the US-American spell checker installed and it marks dyke as wrong. The variant with i is not marked as wrong, but obviously it's obscene or something

Glad I don't have to write this actor's name, nor do I want to know what it means
http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/u...dyke-dick.jpeg

Unread 05-26-2011, 05:03 PM

13,859 posts, read 11,802,826 times
I remember being on a forum and constantly not being allowed to post a thought about early stories using time travel. I rarely curse so I couldn't figure out what I said it deemed obscene. And then I figured it out. I had the temerity to mention Charles Dickens! I guess I should be glad I hadn't thought to mention Philip K. Dick or a screwdriver or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes