Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving down from Alaska in April down to Kansas. Is this during the tornado season? I'd hate to get all the way down there and run into some severe storms. I've always wanted to see one but not while I'm on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,637 times
Yes that is, although it's less so than May. But still, you'll have a good shot at seeing some storms in KS in April.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Yup, just like Nameless said. But you've got to keep in mind that we have thunderstorm or tornado watches hours and hours before things materialize and we actually get the warnings. Your chances of being in a tornado in that span of time is very small.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. We were down in Montana this past August and we had a tornado warning in Fallon county and Bowman county. That was the biggest lightning storm I've ever seen. I'm glad my brother had a basement!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,903 times
Michigan had about more tornadoes this year than a state ( besides Texas ) in tornado alley.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
Michigan had about more tornadoes this year than a state ( besides Texas ) in tornado alley.
Good point. They can pop up anywhere. I've been surprised the past couple of years at how far up they're coming. Mn. has even had their share of tornadoes and Ind. and Ill. have been bombarded with them, too. Kind of strange cause technically they're not in tornado alley.

SD wasn't actually considered to be part of tornado alley until we had "Tornado Tuesday" several years ago. We had the most tornadoes ever on record in less then 24 hours so that added us to the list. On paper though~we're tied with Tx. for the most tornadoes in 24 hrs. since that's the span they use to record them. Now when they show "tornado alley" maps, they extend way into ND. I think we had 60 some tornadoes and my guess is that the time span was 8 hours or so.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times
Last April, there was an EF5 that hit Greensburg, Kansas. Before that, you'd have to go back a decade or so to find the last F5 tornado, which was in Oklahoma.

So short answer, yes.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:38 PM

390 posts, read 907,087 times
April in KS offers some of the most changeable weather in the world! i find it fascinating!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'll be driving down from Alaska in April down to Kansas. Is this during the tornado season? I'd hate to get all the way down there and run into some severe storms. I've always wanted to see one but not while I'm on vacation.
its nothing scary... all it is is just some hard rain. Sometimes some hail and some strong winds but I mean... its nothing remarkable... an unforgettable experience... its just rain. Although once that funnel cloud forms it become a TV show worth watching... ... You probably won't see many thing, maybe a Sever Thunderstorm Warning at most, but everyone who lives in Tornado Ally pretty much disregards those... or at least where I live they do. People only get scared when the winds really really picks up, or you hear a tornado siren, or it starts to hail the size of Baseballs. Otherwise its just some rain. People disregard Tornado warnings, but everyone disregard sever thunderstorm warnings more... as long as you're inside.
But I know for like a 90% fact that people don't care whats going on until the warning comes(meaning all the watches and stuff mean crap to us, or at least where I live), then they just keep an open ear... actually these super sever storms can give you a scare, but its sorta of fun and interesting. Its sort of a thrill to me, even if i run with my tail between my legs.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Yes, I know what you mean~I actually am thrilled with a summer storm. In our area we do pay a bit of extra attention especially if they start issuing tornado watches early in the morning. We just make sure we tune in to the most recent weather reports. And once there's a warning, we are all pretty cautious. But the silly thing is, so many of us go and stand outside and watch for the storm. Wonder what's up with that part of our human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes